TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

• 1 month later...

I was there this weekend. Stratosfear is amazing! Such freedom in the restraints (for 5'10" 140# me anyway), and such a long fall before you hit the brakes!

I only saw one car on the track in the Flying Turns station, but the interesting thing was, it was a complete car. It had the whole body on it, complete with paint. (It did not have a wing, but we don't know for sure if they're actually going to have wings.) This could be a good sign, as I don't know why they would order bodies, and paint them, if they're not sure that they have the final chassis design. (On the other hand, I don't know why they wouldn't have a whole train in place. I can't see how they could do accurate testing with one car -- although I've never seen them test with more than 2 cars at a time actually, but that doesn't mean that they haven't done it.)

I'm going to the park for the first time on July 31st... Is the wristband or tickets a better option? The hotel we are staying at gives $20 worth of tickets for free, so should we just get more tickets instead of a wristband?

I'm going to the park for the first time on July 31st... Is the wristband or tickets a better option? The hotel we are staying at gives $20 worth of tickets for free, so should we just get more tickets instead of a wristband?

It depends on the people in your party. My family has 2 people who don't ride too much of anything, and I'm the only one who wants to ride everything. So books of tickets end up being a better option for the four of them, and I get the wristband. Bear in mind, the wristband doesn't cover everything. Black Diamond and Haunted Mansion (which is a MUST do) are both tickets only.

Visited today for the first time. Great park! Phoenix was running exceptionally well, and Twister gave some great rides too. It was a tickets-only day so lines were short, I think we went through about $40 of tickets each, and that was plenty. Really enjoyed all the flat rides I'd never seen before - especially Looper (even if we had to work pretty hard to get our hamster wheel spinning). Snapped our fair share of flyers too, helped a bit by the breeze.

Black Diamond didn't disappoint, but given the accolades it's received I was expecting more from the Haunted Mansion - ride looked like it needs a little attention to touch up some of the effects and props.

I dis get to see Flying Turns testing on the track, full chassis with just the front 'sled' attached. So maybe they aren't too far away from getting it open. Looks like a great ride.

Oh, and the food was incredible.

• 2 weeks later...

We spent the afternoon at Knoebels on Saturday since we were staying in PA for Coasting for Kids the next day and had an amazing time as always. I can't say anything about this place that hasn't already been said, Phoenix is amazing, Twister was running really fast and was completely out of control and the Flyers, Paratrooper and Scooters were amazing as always but I have to talk about this drop tower.

The last time I was at the park was for PPP last year so Stratosfear was new for me. I expected this to be a nice addition to the park and an enjoyable little drop tower but OMFG did I underestimate this thing. I've been on some great drop towers (Lex Luthor, Drop Zone at KI and KD, Demon Drop...) but this is the best one I've ever ridden. There is no way to describe the ridiculous airtime this ride delivers all the way down. The park was packed and this was probably the longest line in the park but it was well worth it. This ride blows the Intamin Towers away and makes the S&S towers seem like Kiddy rides. It ejects you all the way down and then stops on a dime but somehow it's a very comfortable stop. Knoebels has another winner on it's hands.

PS: The lighting package is awesome too.

I am going to Knoebels for my first time at the end of this month, and I can't wait. I have tried a trip a few different time and this looks like the time I will actually get there. I plan on going on a weekday, so my question is - is one day better than another? I see that some days are ticket only and some days are ride bracelets. I have searched the web for some discounts and found some $5 off coupons but its kind of vague as to what the $5 is off of (tickets or bracelets.)

I am going to Knoebels for my first time at the end of this month, and I can't wait. I have tried a trip a few different time and this looks like the time I will actually get there. I plan on going on a weekday, so my question is - is one day better than another? I see that some days are ticket only and some days are ride bracelets. I have searched the web for some discounts and found some $5 off coupons but its kind of vague as to what the $5 is off of (tickets or bracelets.)

The Pay One Price bracelets are available every weekday from June 14-Aug 23. There are also days with discounted plans, but early and late season; none in June. No idea what those discounts are for, though, sorry.

20 days 'til I'm there myself!

• 2 weeks later...
Actually, after some poking, I found some footage of the second-longest-surviving Flying Turns, the one in Coney Island. This one started life in Flushing in 1939 before being relocated to Coney Island, and lasted until 1974.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfCpcRd6uDc

The video itself is kind of off-the-wall, but the footage starts at 59 seconds in and ends at 1 minute 15 seconds.

Not sure if this has been discussed, but at around the 1min mark, is that the first ever or one of gthe first everon ride pov videos to be made?

Hey all, does anyone have any idea on when Flying Turns is reopening? I'm looking to visit but would prefer to wait for it.

I've never been to Knoebels. Is there something funny about that?

They've been try to get that ride for open for YEARS, at this point, it seems like it will never open...

^You might see it testing but as others have said, don't hold your breath for a ride. They do have a noticeboard set up next to the ride explaining why it's taken so long - basically nobody has built one of these in many years and they have a lot of kinks to work out.

I wouldn't count on it opening until Phall Phunfest (in October) at the earliest...

...but I have been saying that at least once every year since 2006.

I was gunna say is there ANY even slight indication of a possible opening this year?

Yeah why bother?

Well I want to get to Knoebels this year, because it's been way too long since I've ridden Phoenix and Twister. Sometime this fall maybe, and I just wont hold any hope of FT being open I guess

Hey everyone, I will be heading to Knoebels sometime next week, right after I visit Hershey. Anything I should know before going? I know it looks like a great, little park and I can't wait to ride Phoenix. Just would like to know if there is anything worth noting I wouldn't already know since I don't really keep up to date with this park 24/7.

Definitely make sure you check out all the unique attractions the park has to offer such as the Looper, Haunted Mansion, Black Diamond, Grand Carousel, and many others along with the major coasters and thrill rides. Then plan to eat at the park. Knoebels has amazing food and it's reasonably priced too! I especially like the pizza at Cesari's.

The Flyers are also another good ride and the bumper cars. Easily some of the best bumper cars ever. Also the little train rides too are nice, the one train takes you under Twister, and the kiddie train ride is also cute as well.

And I'm also throwing in my vote for Cesari's pizza.

If you go during the week you can get a handstamp for all you can ride most rides, you can add on the coasters, but the sky ride, haunted house, and I think Black diamond all are tickets only. If you go on the weekend all rides are tickets only.

Stratosfear is also pretty good, that's their new drop tower this year.

I was at knoebels today and flying turns was testing all day, first with two cars and 2 empty chassis. Then with 3 cars, then i saw they had all 4 cars on the train but i didn't see them test that. Also an employee i talked to said the rumor was either july 4th or in August sometime. Also Phoenix was down all day, i guess it broke down sunday and hasn't opened since. The same employee also said there were reports of fire from the motor but i suspect it was probably just smoke. Either way Phoenix was down and there was no activity near it so there is defiantly a semi serious issue, perhaps they are waiting on an replacement part.