TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

I think a faithful reproduction of a Flying Turns would make a great ride, but then again the original designers didn't have to contend with lawyers, insurance companies and safety regulations that have the potential to kill a thrilling ride. I have faith however that whatever Knoebels creates, it will be a great addition to the park and I'll just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Well the FT's aren't being hyped because there's no attention grabbing stat like Toro's steepest first hill (woodie). And with most of the public only having reasonably lame modern Bobsled rides to relate to....

Anyway, the good news is that the updates are now active...

http://www.knoebels.com/update.htm

And word is that the Riverside FT's is the basis for the Knoebel's design.

Let the hype begin...

^-yup.

Large flat area surrounded by trees = Whirlwind/Jetstar's old spot.

In one shot you can see the Kearney Cottage in the background (2 floor cottage with red trim- Knoebels held their Christmas party for their employees there, and provides it as lodging for the performers at the band shell). In another shot you can see the roof of the Moonshine Shooting Gallery and the old fence from the Whirlwind coaster. It looks like they have already dismantled the Looper ride and will set it up somewhere else in the park.

^ Ahh, ok. I was confused because I thought that was where the Looper went. But I guess that can't be that difficult of a ride to dismantle and rebuild somewhere else. I probably assume it was meant to be portable in the first place.

--Robb

I could see it staying where it is. The Turns aren't all that big of a ride. More on the Mouse size of things as far as footprint goes.
I can only relate the EBP FT's, but while not a large footprint as compared to a coaster, it was much bigger than the average Mouse. I'd guess on the order of six or so...

Riverview's, which this ride will be, was pretty small from all indications and pics I have seen. More on the scale of an Allen JR Woodie I guess would be a better comparison. Maybe half again biggere then a mouse.

Nowhere near 6 times the size, that would be a pretty massive ride.

Well the model is pretty darn accurrate. Here's a shot of the Riverview FT's when it was still at the '33 World's Fair in Chicago. Riverview bought it and moved it to their park.

While it's still not my FT's, it doesn't look too bad actually...

Click the pic to go to the host webpage.

i think those pictures are misleading. the ride is very compact, but it isn't wild-mouse size. the lift hill alone is twice the size of a wild mouse! i'd say that it would have the footprint of, well, a corkscrew (well, obviously...), and will probably fit at least twice as much track in the same space!

anyways.

i'm so excited! this is my absolute "dream ride", and it's being built! yay! the only thing i don't like about this is that it was always part of my dream that i would be building it! oh well.

Hmm....does't look that much smaller than the footprint of a...well....MACK BOBSLED!!!

Sorry, just had to say it!

--Robb "I think this ride will be really really fun, but I still think it looks EXACTLY like a wooden Mack Bobsled!" Alvey

Hmm....does't look that much smaller than the footprint of a...well....MACK BOBSLED!!!

Sorry, just had to say it!

--Robb "I think this ride will be really really fun, but I still think it looks EXACTLY like a wooden Mack Bobsled!" Alvey

well, if you look at the layout you'll see they pack in a lot more into the area than mack does with most of their bobsleds, but, you're right, it is basically a bobseld, although, i'd be willing to bet it will be the best bobseld on earth when it opens, if i were the type of person to, uh, bet, and i'm not.

Well the model is pretty darn accurrate. Here's a shot of the Riverview FT's when it was still at the '33 World's Fair in Chicago. Riverview bought it and moved it to their park.

While it's still not my FT's, it doesn't look too bad actually...

Click the pic to go to the host webpage.

Looks interesting. I am a little confused, though.

I suspect the long straight section of track nearest the camera is the brake run and the station is the structure on the right. How does the train get to the bottom of the lift which ascends in towards the station? It seems out of kilter somehow.

Actually, if you look really closely at the back of that building, you'll see the back (to us) part of it 'overlaps' into the structure directly behind it.

Then, there's the 'hole' at the back building allowing track to go into (?) in from within the framework of the other track...

Could be a bit of a dip 'n dive under the structure, into that back building, then a right turn into the lift hill.

Possible? still not too sure here. Need another angled shot, of course.

IMhO

^Yeah, I noticed the track coming out of the back building too, but it just seems like a long way from the station to the base of the lift solely as a function of how high above the ground the station is, which is what is confusing to me. Then again, that brake run seems really long for such a "small" coaster. I guess the brakes of the day weren't terribly efficient.

LOL... Well the brakes did work back then, too, but no, they weren't the headsnapping grabbers on many of today's coasters. Also braking here is accomplished by squeezing the sides of the train. If you go back to the close up of the car you can see the "brake pads" low on the sides.

Pretty sure that the long finish run is to let the trains settle out and run straight into the brake run. EBP's settled out in a spiral with the top rail squeezing the train down to the bottom of the track.

I think there's a tunnel leading the trains to the lift hill. Probably some minor swings to and fro LIKE A MACK BOBSLED....

Rob,

All I can say is that I've ridden BPB's Avalame, SFOT's La Vi-boring and a couple others. The Mack's are definitely the better ride of the two. While in the pic you posted, Avalanche looks good, the ride just did not deliver. It was just getting to FT's level when it hit the brakes.

Put it another way.. while my CF ride list ratings have the EBP FT's atop my list with a 10, Ava got a 3.

While my memories of EBP are fond, and Knoebel's does not look to be that level, I still have to sign off as...

Tour(bet-you-a-beer-you're-a-big-fan-after-one-ride)2ma