TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

^Not trying to sound egotistical or annoying or anything, but to be honest, I think the TPR days there are better than PPP nowadays.

I've never been to PPP but I do not doubt this for a second.

I would love to make Knoebels a once-a-year park, and I think at minimum I WILL be there the year Flying Turns opens, event or no. I'm not even exactly sure why. Just sounds like a neat experience I guess.

I've never been to PPP but I do not doubt this for a second.

I would love to make Knoebels a once-a-year park, and I think at minimum I WILL be there the year Flying Turns opens, event or no. I'm not even exactly sure why. Just sounds like a neat experience I guess.

IF it ever opens. Seriously, does that beat the longest time taken to construct a coaster record?

Rob "A bobsled would have worked" Maiorino

I've been to PPP once, and I did enjoy myself. That being said, PPP didn't equal the day I spend with TPR there last year.

But I think about any day at Knoebels would beat a day at any other park.

If I recall correctly, Phall Phunfest used to be an event exclusive to registered enthusiast groups, yeah? I remember that it was one of Club TPR's benefits when Club TPR first started.

I don't know if PPP was ever exclusive because I wasn't even into coasters when it started, but if it was, it ended a long time before Club TPR came about. I've been going for 6 years, and I've never been a member of any group. (Don't really have the time or money to go on long trips, no matter how good the perks are, and besides, every group of any kind I've ever joined folded in short order. I'm not joking. Multiple computer clubs, an amateur astronomy club, a spelunking club, all gone now, no matter how active or how old they were when I joined.)

The only thing I really object to about PPP is that they still let people ride with tickets. The 6-10 period should be exclusive to those who bought a handstamp, regardless of whether they belong to a club or not.

And oh, besides that, they need to have an adults-only bumper car session. But I say that almost every time I visit the park now, not just at PPP.

^Sooo true. I'm not even bothered by the rules so long as the operators account for difficulty in controlling the cars (Lusses often have a mind of their own). They help keep the cars in shape longer. But I like riding with people who know what they're doing, love them some good hits, and don't lose their junk underneath the seats!

Isn't it true that PPP is actually the least friendly day for snapping the flyers, because there are a lot of families who get scared and complain? I thought I heard about an issue like that at least one year.

I heard something like that a few years ago too, but, two years ago, I heard that they actually announced at the beginning of the night session that snapping was allowed. Last year I phlew a few times during PPP and nobody had any problem with it. I don't recommend trying it during the day session though, unless you know the operator is cool with it.

Re: losing stuff on the Lusses, it's not the kids that cause the biggest problem with that. (The kids just can't drive, at least not the ones that barely make it over the height limit.) One year, one of the best drivers I've ever seen had his keys get out of his pocket and get into the works, then, Bill Galvin, in a rare appearance somewhere other than Phoenix row 12, went on the Lusses with his PPP costume and had his wig fly off and get stuck. (You know you're at a good bumper car session when they have to stop to fix the cars between rides!)

^Ah, interesting info. I was just annoyed that they would shut down the ride to tear apart cars (mostly mine for some reason) looking for someone's stuff when they regularly announce that, like most other parks, they will not do so on other rides such as Twister. But maybe it was in no way the guest's fault!

On the way home from Knoebels now and it was a great day! First talking about the Bumper Cars, I have a question the guy who is on the signs for the height and etc what is his name? He was working the Skooters today and was the 1st time I ever saw him but forgot his name. While waiting in line two kids were being obnoxious saying, "This old guy should stop yelling how to turn the wheel and just retire." Of course I get on and that kid keeps causing pileups and wasn't able to turn himself around. I was surprised that they don't check to see if you wear the seatbelt during the ride. Also when I got in my car there was a pair of sunglasses on the floor of the car.

Today was also the 1st time I got to ride both Twister and Phoenix! Even though I have both an Inner and Outer Ear infection my mom said to go on because I haven't been dizzy the past week especially with running 2 hours each morning for XC practice.

Twister- Walked right on after the rain stopped and sat in the front. Was a great ride and definitely had a lot more turns than I expected and was a bit rough for me. Went back on a few hours later and sat in the back row and surprisingly got a lot of airtime that I didn't expect!

Phoenix- AMAZING! My new favorite wooden coaster instead of El Toro now! The 1st ride was in the 8th row and I had my hands up and wasn't expecting to get ejected off of the seat! Thought for an instant that I was going to fall out! Got right off and went back on line and sat in the 11th row but made sure to hold on! Still had great airtime!

Overall it was a great day got to do some other flat rides but nice to return to the park after a 3 year absence. Checked out flying turns and didn't see anyone working on it and it looked the same as pictures previously posted.

For the people who are thinking knoebels has wasted too much time and money on flying turns look at it this way, this project has not hindered the park from installing new rides, and they have even had significant flooding and storms thrash the park. They have pushed forward for so long and the flying turns haven't hurt them at all so by all means why give up now? After this long it seems more foolish to give up than to keep trucking.

For the people who are thinking knoebels has wasted too much time and money on flying turns look at it this way, this project has not hindered the park from installing new rides, and they have even had significant flooding and storms thrash the park. They have pushed forward for so long and the flying turns haven't hurt them at all so by all means why give up now? After this long it seems more foolish to give up than to keep trucking.

Absolutely. It's certainly a very ambitious project - and since it has not affected (at least to my eyes) development around the rest of the park, I'm just being patient. As far as I'm concerned, Flying Turns is just a bonus in an already-fantastic amusement park.

If I recall correctly, Phall Phunfest used to be an event exclusive to registered enthusiast groups, yeah? I remember that it was one of Club TPR's benefits when Club TPR first started.

I went to PPP in '03 and '04 without being a member of any club.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey PA regulars,

I'm planning a short PA trip for October with a friend who hasn't been to Knoebel's or Hersheypark.

I've been to Knoebels twice (1997 and 2011) and Hersheypark 3 times (1996, 2006 and 2011). Loved both parks, and really psyched about this trip.

I've asked around about Phoenix Phall Phunfest, but haven't gotten a concrete answer to my main concern: would it be better to go during regular operation or during PPP for a person who has never been there? PPP - what rides are open? How long are the lines?

I went to Knoebel's last August and had a great time. Twister and Phoenix had one train on early with 20 minute waits, maximum. They soon added 2nd trains making the lines 5 minutes or less(!!!) for the rest of the day. That was ideal operations - is it always like that?

We did Hersheypark after Knoebel's. We went the night before for the "preview" the park offers. As always, the park and coasters were great, but the park was PACKED that night and the entire next day. So this took away a bit from the fun. Long lines for food, coasters, everything. I would much rather wait than go back on a day that crowded, as much as a I love Hersheypark.

I've heard people swear to never go back to PPP due to the crowds; and people swear they'll never miss a PPP because it's so great. I'm confused.

^Wait times will be shorter and there will be less EnthusiASSts if you go on a normal day!

Some people want the crazy enthusiasts and if you're going solo you might be able to hook up with some people for the day, but for me, I'd rather go on my own with some friends than to that event.

Next year I might be going to Hersheypark, and was planning on stopping by Knoebels on the trip back home. So, do you think I'd be able to do it in 3-4 hours and just ride the best rides (Phoenix, Twister, Flyers, Skooters etc.) or do you think I would need more time? Thanks!

^This has been brought up many times.

Yes, you can get all the credits and some of the major rides in that time frame.

HOWEVER!!!!!!!

The place is not a credit stop. It is an amazing old school traditional awesome place with games, food, rides, coasters, etc. You really should plan to spend a MINIMUM of 6 hours to get a proper feel of the place.

^^ I am with Elissa on this! This park is a all day event for me. They have some really awesome rides and I always want to get multiple rides on them. The coasters are awesome and Twister is even BETTER at night.

Hey PA regulars,

I'm planning a short PA trip for October with a friend who hasn't been to Knoebel's or Hersheypark.

I've been to Knoebels twice (1997 and 2011) and Hersheypark 3 times (1996, 2006 and 2011). Loved both parks, and really psyched about this trip.

I've asked around about Phoenix Phall Phunfest, but haven't gotten a concrete answer to my main concern: would it be better to go during regular operation or during PPP for a person who has never been there? PPP - what rides are open? How long are the lines?

I went to Knoebel's last August and had a great time. Twister and Phoenix had one train on early with 20 minute waits, maximum. They soon added 2nd trains making the lines 5 minutes or less(!!!) for the rest of the day. That was ideal operations - is it always like that?

We did Hersheypark after Knoebel's. We went the night before for the "preview" the park offers. As always, the park and coasters were great, but the park was PACKED that night and the entire next day. So this took away a bit from the fun. Long lines for food, coasters, everything. I would much rather wait than go back on a day that crowded, as much as a I love Hersheypark.

I've heard people swear to never go back to PPP due to the crowds; and people swear they'll never miss a PPP because it's so great. I'm confused.

I would rather go on a normal operating day when it is not as crowded and all the rides are open.

I participated in PPP the first time I ever visited Knoebels and enjoyed it, but I was already meeting some friends there. They do some cool Halloween stuff (the overkay for the antique auto ride is fun), but I think I'd rather hit the place during a normal operating day, too.

^Wait times will be shorter and there will be less EnthusiASSts if you go on a normal day!

Some people want the crazy enthusiasts and if you're going solo you might be able to hook up with some people for the day, but for me, I'd rather go on my own with some friends than to that event.

Hah, I'm with you on this one. Knoebels has one of the nicest clienteles you'll find in an amusement park, but I would avoid PPP because that's "enthusiASSt" season. Grannies taking their grandchildren to the park and locals walking their dogs will be mostly replaced by "enthusiASSts" who have come from far and wide to invade this charming, hometown park.

Anyone know if any attractions, restaurants/food stands close AFTER Labor Day Weekend (but BEFORE the Covered Bridge Festival and PPP)? I'm planning a visit on a Saturday sometime in September (most likely the 15th or 22nd).

It's been a while since I've visited the park this late in the season, so I'm just checking.

I am going to Knoebels in 2 weeks and I want to know everything I need to know. Like whats the best place to eat at the park? What rides I must go on, I know im gonna go on phoenix, twister, haunted mansion, black diamond, the flyers, and skooters, grand carousel. Also How Should I Plan My Day, In what order should I do everything? Also my dad is Handicapped and I want to know how accessible it will be for him and his wheel chair, and will it be enjoyable for him? Lastly i've been told you can bring your dog and even bring it on some of the rides is this true? Please give me as much advice as possible!