TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mission: Space at Epcot

I know that saying this may cause Robb to ban me from this forum permanently, but I didn't think that Mission: Space at Epcot was really all that much to write home about.

Sure, it was OK, but I didn't think it was as intense as people here and the literature makes it out to believe. So your face gets smashed in a little, and you get to watch a cool video while you ride. But really? I had more fun on the Test Track ride next door, which is my second favorite ride at WDW.

Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but Mission: Space gets a nice C- from me. I am glad I rode it once, and it was not a waste of time, but if I ever go back to Epcot and don't get a chance to re-ride, I won't be disappointed.

BTW, rumor has it that you can completely neglect your duty (i.e. the button pushing) on the ride, and suffer no ill effects. I can't say this firsthand, though.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IBTW, rumor has it that you can completely neglect your duty (i.e. the button pushing) on the ride, and suffer no ill effects. I can't say this firsthand, though.

It's true. I rode in with a bunch of tourists who didn't push anything. when Gary Sinise gave the order to push the button, no one's fingers arose to the challenge. The computer just said, "Computer override" and just went on its merry way.

What if that wasn't put in place? Tourists who didn't understand English or were confused (or both) would end up crashing into Mars and complaining to Guest Relations. Now that is kind of sad and pathetic.

EDIT: I don't think you'd get banned for giving an opinion. I like Mission: Space, but I can see your POV. We don't ban people for farting wrong, much like the stupid DISBoards.

EDIT: I don't think you'd get banned for giving an opinion. I like Mission: Space, but I can see your POV. We don't ban people for farting wrong, much like the stupid DISBoards.

Yeah, I know that opining will not result in a ban. It was a joke.

If you look at the wait times anymore.. I think just about everyone shares your views on Mission:Space.. Test Track and Soarin' will be at 60's or 90's in the wait time and Mission Space will have a 15.. I miss Horizons. Well, at least if they do something with the Wonders of Life they can butcher that and not lose a good attraction,.

Ditto. The week after memorial day Im gonna be browsin all the Disney finess with steel band (plus we'll be performing at pirates, downtown disney, and infront of magic kingdom before it opens) Back on subject, Im going to Epcot for a day (and maybe again on our park hopper day) so Ill compare Test to MS.

Jared "Another one of our schedual'd days is Animal Kingdom " Becker

I am with you guys. This is a great ride but I gave the ride a grade of D+ due to inaccessibility. I rode it back in 2004 and I enjoyed the movements, g-forces, visuals, etc but there were so much talking and commands! For myself, I am deaf and I rode with two other hearing strangers and they were looking at me and pointing to my controls. I was completely clueless until much later I found out that I was supposed to push buttons according to commands!

Gosh!

I remember when i went to Epcot one day they had a "preview" of the ride where you could ride it that one day before it was opened to public.. the ride was good and very forceful, but they have slowed it down a bit from when i went on the "preview" of it. Overall this ride isnt that good, they should have added some kind of consequences for not pressing buttons or something like that. P.S. The Mission Control game near the gift shop is awesome! i love playing that game!

I'm not sure I totally understand the bashing Mission: Space in this thread like "I think it's a great ride but I give it a D+" Is it really THAT bad of a ride? If you're going to compare it to a rotor, or another high-speed amusement park spinning ride, well, that's completely stupid. Because that's not what the ride is.

Personally I think Mission:Space is one of the most "perfectly engineered" rides that Disney has to offer.

It has a good story, it has amazing "presentation" as far as all the pre-shows, lighting, etc, and just when the ride itself starts to get a little intense, it lets up, gives you a break, then gets intense again.

However, having said that, it's certainly not on the top of my "E-Ticket List" at WDW. I do like it more than Soarin' because I find Soarin' one of the most boring rides I've ever been on (sorry Soren!) andknow I'm in the minority there, BUT I can totally appreciate why the general public *LOVE* it, it's just not a ride for me.

I think the short waits you always see are for a number of reasons, one of them being the fact that for whatever reason, they seem to do a really good job of SCARING people away from the ride! Just look at how many warnings you see before getting on the damn thing, as well as cast members asking you "are you SURE you want to go on?"

With a ride as perfectly engineered as Mission: Space actually is, there just isn't any need to freak people out about it. Elissa doesn't do spinning rides AT ALL, but she can do Mission: Space. I mean, if Elissa's mom could go on it, and not think it was that big of a deal........anyway......

I remember the first ride I took on Mission: Space was with the Quaker back in 2003 and we both got off the ride going "Huh? That's it?" but for whatever reason it's kind of grown on me over the years.

But yeah, Test Track is still my #1 at Epcot!

--Robb

"I think it's a great ride but I give it a D+"

Please understand that I have lived with my disablity all of my life and I judge rides heavily on accessibility. It frustrates me greatly when I can't experience things you guys experience. I understand your opinion about Mission Space is different than mine since it was a different experience for you. I respect that. I hope someday you will understand my barrier.

I am in absolute agreement with you Robb...I dont understand why so many people are bashing it. I have been on it so many time's with "1st timers" and that actually makes me enjoy it all the more. I also agree its not #1 E-ticket but it is a fav of mine. The fact I can usually walk on at any time is also a bonus.

I like Test Track, but honestly, its not all that great either. I do most of that stuff just driving to work sometimes...LOL.