TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Honeymoon Parks

I'm getting married this July and OF COURSE my groom to be is an amusement park freak too (it was part of my criteria for the man I was gonna marry... no really, I'm serious) Anywho, we are taking a ROAD TRIP (gotta love 'em) to FOUR parks that we've never been to before. We are starting from our hometown in Illinois and headed to the east coast. Right now our agenda includes: Paramount Kings Dominion, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Six Flags great Adventure..... and then.... nothing. We want a park we where we can easily stop and stay the night and that is on the way home from Six Flags Great Adventure. We've done Cedar Point, Paramount Kings Island, and Holiday World so right now my I'm teetering between Kennywood and Geauga Lake. I'm very nostalgic and a parks atmoshpere could make or break a theme park for me so I think I'm leaning towrds Kennywood. Which one would you choose? Or is there another park you would reccommend? Thanks you guys

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope my girlfriend lets us do some parks if we ever get married.

Actually, if we were to, we'd probably go to Florida. Lots of beaches and cool stuff to do other than parks

I agree with Larry, screw PKD. Spend another day at BGW if you want. Hershey probably fits the "on the way back to Illinois" criteria, and would be my pick.

- Joe, who prob. won't get parks on his honeymoon

First, congrats on getting married...

Second, as a Pittsburgher, I must say that you will not be dissapointed by Kennywood. It has 3 classic woodies (Jack Rabbit, Racer, and Thunderbolt), a hyper coaster (Phantom's Revenge), an indoor spinning mouse coaster (The Exterminator), and if you're a credit whore, our kiddie coaster (Lil' Phantom). So that adds up to 6 credits and by the way, we're getting a new Screamin' Swing for 2006 and you'll be able to ride this thing with no additional cost to the park's admission, so feel free to ride Kennywood's awesome flat rides. You should have no problems conquering Kennywood in a day.

We were originally going to do disney but we've already been there about 10 times seeing as my parents have a time share in orlando. We road trip whores and we wanted to take a really fun one to all parks that we hadn't been to before. Okay so from your comments so far I'm not hitting Geauga Lake anymore, and now I'm torn between Hershey and Kennywood (I can only pick FOUR parks! ... due to budget issues because we are buying a house!) But why not stop at PKD? I figured it was worth the stop for Hypersonic, Tomb Raider Firefall, and Volcano: The Blast Coaster. ANy other thoughts?

P.S. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR RESPONSES! THEY'RE HELPING A GREAT DEAL!!!!

If you will be dropping a park in order to fit in both Kennywood and Hersheypark, I would drop PKD. PKD may have Volcano, but Firefall is nothing special. I haven't been on Hypersonic, so I really can't say much about the ride.

Hersheypark has the Storm Runner, Lightning Racer, Wildcat, and the Great Bear. By then the new dark ride should also be up. And while I haven't been to Kennywood, I know several people who say it is one of the greatest parks they have been to. I mean, the Phantom's Revenge looks incredible.

But whatever you do, don't drop BGW!

Yeah, I'm so not dropping BGW! I'm dying to ride Curse of Darkastle! The only reason I'm excited about Tomb Raider Firefall is because I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Tomb Raider at PKI.

Another reason I'm leaning toward Kennywood though is because I'm also a huge dark ride fan. I know Noah's Ark is old but I hear it's a classic. Any other thoughts you guys???

Hi, I just thought I would stick my 2 cents in here. I am curious about the budget for only 4 parks. My question is do you have season passes to any of the parks? After that nosey question, my wife and I liked Hersheypark. They had a 2 day pass that was very inexpensive. It also had a comeback guarantee if you didn't have a good time.

The other thought is that if you have a Cedar Point (Cedar Fair) season pass you could stop by Dorney Park for a quick hit. You could probably do the park in under 3 hours on your way to SFGadv.

I don't mind you nosey question at all Our budget is around $1600. That includes gas, food, lodging, park tickets, and spending money. Thanks to discounted online tickets (can save up to $21 a ticket online for SFGAdv) and the discounted rates on expedia.com we are staying at some nice hotels for under $100 bucks a night. They also all include a free breakfast so there is one free meal that day. Also, I'm a big fan of leaving for a half hour and grabbing lunch outside the park. It doesn't take long, our parking spot is usually still there (because no one bothers to drive around the whole parking lot looking for a spot), and its much cheaper. The most expensive thing this entire trip is probably going to be gas. Unfortunatly we do not have a Cedar Fair pass... we do have a Holiday World one though, we're still debating about stopping by there for a quick ride on the Voyage, Raven, and Legend.

Man you guys... your confusing me now! Do I go to Dorney, Kennywood, Hersheypark, or Knoebels??? So far I think it's a tie between Hersheypark and Kennywood! Any other ideas?

(YOU GUYS ARE SUCH A GREAT HELP! THANKS SOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!)

With limited time and finances, Dorney would only be worth the stop if the had a pass from a sister park.

You can't go wrong with any of the other three: HersheyPark, Kennywood, Knoebels. All are great for atmosphere.

HersheyPark - best coaster variety line-up of the group

Kennywood - very nostaglic, good coasters, one of a kind flats

Knoebels - also very nostalgic, very laid back, best run and unique flats, great wooden coasters, birch beer

You just need your husband to promise a return trip on a future anniversary for the ones you skip.

^I agree, without having a pass, dump Dorney. Just remember in the future that it is only worth a 3 hour stay, no overnight. I think the best options on this trip would be Hersheypark and either Knoebel's or Kennywood, depending on your route. You can't go wrong with either one.

Congratulations on the marriage and the new house. Good luck in the future!

Since you're planning to eat lunch outside the parks, here's a tip for BGW (I live in the 'Burg). The Pottery Wine and Cheese Shop at the Kingsmill Shops on Rt. 60 (just down the road from the park) makes pretty good sandwiches (and sells other gourmet items). If you want to check out a true local institution, go to Pierce's Pitt BBQ and ask for "JC's Special" (a jumbo pork BBQ sandwich, fries, drink, and a cookie). Just take I-64 west (toward Richmond) to the Williamsburg/Camp Peary exit, turn left, then right at the first light (E. Rochambeau), and drive a few miles until you reach the orange-and-yellow building on the left.

Enjoy.

EDIT: Oops! Just realized I made a goof in the directions. Turn left after exiting at Williamsburg/Camp Peary (that is, toward Williamsburg). If you head toward Camp Peary, which is a CIA-training facility, you might find yourself staring down the muzzle of machine gun!

WOW! You guys are such a great help! And thanks for the tip about the restraunts... I will def. keep that in mind! So far right now I'm dumping Dorney and Geauga Lake... keeping BGW, PKD, and SFGAdv... so Kennywood, Hershey Park, or Kneobels... hmmmm.... okay lets do this if I go to Kennywood will I regret not going to Hershey Park? Or vice versa? From what I've seen Hershey Park has more rides but Kennywood has the better atmosphere... true or false?

THANKS FOR ALL THE CONGRATULATIONS!

^

It's an extremely hard choice to make. I'm sorry that I am not making the decision any easier for you, but both parks have their good and bad points. Kennywood does have an awesome atmosphere, but Hershey has 5 more coaster credits. However, you may want to consider that Kennywood is a traditional park while Hershey is a theme park. You might want to balance out your trip out with Hershey, but if you really want to have "memories" then I personally suggest Kennywood. Look at it this way, you won't regret it either way, yet Hershey to me atleast was just like Geauga Lake, I just went for the coasters, not the chocolate, lol.

Yeah, well I'm not really concerned with the coaster count as much as I am the memories. Also, all I really care about (coaster count wise) is that I reach riding my 100th coaster which it attainable whether we go to Hershey Park or Kennywood I'm over the 100 mark.

Oooooohhh which makes for another good question!

My 100th coaster is going to be at SFGAdv! Which coaster should be my 100th!?

I'm getting married this July and OF COURSE my groom to be is an amusement park freak too (it was part of my criteria for the man I was gonna marry... no really, I'm serious)

Dione and I went to WDW for a week last November. Highly recommended.

Be sure to wear your bride and groom hats; you'll get lots of special treatment!

We were originally going to do disney but we've already been there about 10 times seeing as my parents have a time share in orlando. We road trip whores and we wanted to take a really fun one to all parks that we hadn't been to before.

We thought about that but we wanted to go somewhere we had never been... it's a nice thought though but we cant afford it!