TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Finally Six Flags Parks Go Smoke Free!

The Press Release:

Six Flags Announces That Its Parks Will be Smoke-Free Environments

Thursday January 19, 8:00 am ET

Initiative is the Latest Element in Company's Commitment to Make Parks Family-Friendly

NEW YORK, Jan. 19 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Six Flags (NYSE: PKS - News) announced today a new company policy under which its theme parks across the country will become smoke-free environments. This measure is the newest element in the company's commitment to improving the family entertainment experience throughout the Six Flags system.

"Our mission at Six Flags this season is to enhance our entire guest experience -- and that includes doing all we can to ensure our parks are family-friendly," said Mark Shapiro, Six Flags President and CEO. "Making our parks smoke-free will be an enhancement to the quality of the Six Flags experience, and our guests will think so too -- nobody should be forced to dodge clouds of smoke when they're strolling through the park with their children. Designating specific smoking zones will allow for a cleaner, friendlier park atmosphere where families can enjoy spending their day."

This initiative expands on current park policy, which states that guests cannot smoke in children's areas, ride lines or waterparks. Designated smoking zones will be set-aside within each park to accommodate the parks' smoking patrons.

I am really glad they've done this, I just hope they REALLY enforce the rule in all the parks all the time.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Technically SFMM went 'smoke-free' about 2 years ago. They put up signs saying that there was no longer smoking allowed in the midways/queues/etc. and it listed 3 areas where you could go to smoke.

The signs lasted about 2 weeks, no one enforced the rules and eventually they were gone. They popped up again about a year ago, again lasted for a few weeks, no enforcement, and were gone again!

This is all very interesting to me. After talking to a senior level guy from SFMM last week his quote was "he's got some great ideas and if he can pull them off the park will be amazing, but we all have our doubts that it's possible".

This is what I'm seeing. They have these grand ideas to turn the SF parks into a real nice family destination, but they don't have the staff or the infrastructure to pull it off.

This could end-up costing the park a LOT of business - it's easy to enforce smoking-bans in small and/or indoor areas, like restaurants and mini-golf courses, but there are gonna be a lot of smokers who aren't gonna want to stroll away from their group/family (or force their group/family to wait for them) if they decide to have a smoke, and to try to go the entire day without a smoke is gonna be brutal for many of them.

On a personal-level, I'm thankful, since I've never been a smoker and my fiance' is asthmatic, but the park is going to have to install/designate MANY smoking-allowed sections to keep all those smokers happy and coming back. I mean, nobody likes having to hike all the way out of the park, right?

I doubt it will cost the parks a lot of business, many parks and chains have already done so without a huge hit.

To whoever said 'how well will it be enforced?" I say I hope it improves. In the middle of last summer, a Georgia law required SFOG to have a partial ban, and if it weren't for some people being courteous smokers, I probably wouldn't have been able to notice a ban had been set with all of the smokers that continued as normal.

I have a hard time seeing this enforced at SFKK and SFoG

Thank you for stereotyping. People smoke everywhere.

I have a hard time seeing the bigger SF parks being able to enforce this. Holiday World can easily enforce it because they're a smaller park and there's not many places where you could sneak off and light one up.

Can anyone else see people trying to light one up in a bathroom to get a quick fix like kids in high school did?

-Bryan "Smoking is disgusting"Wood

I don't know if this is such a great idea, even Disney has designated smoking areas. I'm not saying that they should allow smoking, but as an ex-smoker if there aren't any smoking areas and smoking wasn't allowed I would smoke anywhere I wanted and not care. At least with two or three smoking ares in a park you can confine the problem to small areas away from the rest of the guests.

Paraphrasing here:

Mark Shapiro, Six Flags President and CEO said"...Designating specific smoking zones will allow for a cleaner, friendlier park atmosphere where families can enjoy spending their day."

There will be designated areas.

btw wes that's awesome

Yeah right.... *I* wouldnt be the one to go tell someone to put out their cigarette at SFA where shootings happen weekly in the parking lot! or SFMM, or SFMW. It's good press, but unless the price hikes detract from of the more "rough" individuals/locals from going.. I dont see this being enforced.

Eric

I dought it will be enforced at all. I mean, the security guards will probably say something about it, and maybe, if you get lucky, the ride op's.

Pretty much everywhere in Colorado (someone correct me if I'm wrong), you can no longer smoke inside any buildings.

Problems I see with this are that how can they enforce it in areas that are secluded? For example, Twister II's queue, its directly under the station, and covered so really no one can see into it. On a more crowded day you see around 5 people smoking under there, even though there are signs everywhere saying not to smoke in queue's. Especially Tower of Doom, the ride op's just don't care.