TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My family and I went to CP last year, so I was 12. I got on every coaster there, and Mantis is now in my top 10. I did not find it rough WHATSOEVER. I thought it was extremely smooth.

But, in the back, the airtime can hurt the crotch But I still rode back there twice. I mean, who cares when you got a coaster to ride, right

Tell him to enjoy it! And tell him to come to the boards, they are loads of fun!!!

The front rows are smoother than the back rows. An empty train is shakier/bouncier than an full train. Yes, some people have problems. If one is able to stand up straight and keep their legs straight it is not a problem, some younger people have trouble with that.

I say it is not a pain but many will disagree.

Tyler,

Tell me how you rank the coasters at CP? Any tips about which ones you'd ride first? (I'm going to ride them all at least twice!)

This will be the first time I've been on a mega coaster. We rode Hulk and Dueling Dragons over and over while we were at US / IOA, but I know mega coasters are a lot different.

Austin

I rode it last summer, with the trim brakes on the first drop OFF!!

It's so much more powerful than I could have imagined, as I have ridden it many times before then. It's a good, smooth fun ride.

Don't let other peoples opinions dictate what you do/do not ride. Asking people who are coaster fanatics have as many biased opinions as any other group. That being said, tell your son to ride it if he wants to. Others may have their own opinion, but only he has his.

A better judge is when all the rides in a park have long lines (which Mantis usually does) then it's OK to ride. If it has a short, or no line (Like Mean Streak on a busy day), then that becomes a questionable ride.

JJ

Well, in order personally, my list would go as follows:

1) Millenium Force (The 1st drop just rocks)

2) Top Thrill Dragster (Really tall, really fast, and the launch is actually not as intense as I thought. Not a "tough" coaster to me)

3) Mantis (It was my 1st stand up, and I found it very smooth!)

4) Raptor (Twists and turns, and the final helix is great! Prepare yourself for a jolt at the brakes)

5) Magnum XL200 (Lots of airtime, the 3rd row of the 1st car is the "ejector" seat)

6) Mean Streak (People say it is rough. It is a little bumpy at the bottom of the 1st and 3rd hills, but I like it. It just looks cool!)

7) Wicked Twister (Not scary. Lots of fun. But you can't choose your seat)

8) Gemini (Lots of fun. Every turn you will Hi-5 the people on the other side [if they are cool like when I was there])

9) Blue Streak (I sat in the back, there was alot of airtime)

10) Disaster Transport (I enjoyed the ride. Dark and alot of turns. Not intense, but fun)

11) Corkscrew (A little headbanging, not bad. Sit in the back, the crest of the 1st hill comes unexpectedly)

12) Iron Dragon (This ride wasn't that great! It barely swung at all. Don't wait too long for it. in my opinion)

13) Cedar Creek Mine Ride (A fun coaster. Nice surroundings. Fun ending)

14) Woodstock Express (Fun Vekoma Roller Skater. Not bad, just not my favorite)

15) Jr. Gemini (Not really that great. I actually waited for like 15 mins for a litle kid to come along that I could ride with. Dear Alveys, can I be your child?)

I was not able to ride WildCat. It started to rain just as I was going to get into the line. So, we decided to go because of the weather and because it was about 9:00.

We definately needed both days to cover the park! Oh, and make sure you get on Demon Drop, it may not be there for long! And it is one f the last Intamin 1st Generation Freefall's standing!

Hope that helps!!!

The trim brakes on the first drop are no longer used I believe. They were only used when Mantis ran a 3 train operation a while back when it opened.

No. Trust me. It's an absolute oddity when they are not used. The following day they were on like normal. Usually during the first couple of weeks during the season they have them off, then they are on all the time for the rest of the summer.

That's why we found it to be such an oddity, because this was in mid-June.

JJ

Mantis doesn't feel rough to me, I think there's just a certain amount of discomfort that comes with any stand-up coaster. It's one of the largest ones with the most Gs, so the pain factor is probably magnified. The forces put a lot of pressure on your ankles and if you're a guy...well, you get the idea! But overall the ride itself feels pretty smooth.

Mantis isn't a rough as people make it out to be. Most enthusiasts are wimps with no tolerance for pain. I do agree that the closer to the front you ride, the less headbanging there is. As with most CP steel coasters (save Raptor, Magnum, Gemini), the quality of Mantis' ride has went down over the past few years.

I thought it was the roughest of the steel coasters at Cedar Point, but still not that rough overall. It banged my ears pretty hard a couple of times, but nothing that bad. I wouldn't hesitate to ride it again. And I will echo that front of the train rides on stand ups are usually much more comfy that back of the train rides.

-Julie

The front rows are smoother than the back rows. An empty train is shakier/bouncier than an full train. Yes, some people have problems. If one is able to stand up straight and keep their legs straight it is not a problem, some younger people have trouble with that.

22 Years old, 6'0. With full or empty train it vibrates more than the Blue Streak and for me, defense or offensive riding doesnt stop me from coming off with very sore ears.

It someone has the magic code to riding without hitting your head on at least 4-5 spots, let me know. Otherwise, Ill just take pictures from now on. I think 6 years of torture on that is enough for me. It actually rides better with NO trims too BTW.

I also am a wooden coaster fanatic so pain in many forms isnt much of an issue. Infact, I have a pretty high pain tolerance to alot of things. I just dont enjoy a ride that has incredibly smooth design flawed by horrible train design. Restraints reach much too high and the trains vibrate something fierce.

I think the Mantis is actually fun! There are worst stund up coasters out there.

Just don't put the thing that goes in between so close to your crotch if you are a guy, because your body will be pushed down during the ride, and you won't hit the family jewels!

The line for the Mantis is usaullly around an hour or so, that means it is worth riding.

Hurt.gif.6794411582f92f8427ffa96b27c6e8a0.gif

I feel really sorry for that guy

I rode it last summer, with the trim brakes on the first drop OFF!!

The trim brakes on the first drop are no longer used I believe. They were only used when Mantis ran a 3 train operation a while back when it opened.

I was there back in 2003, the trims for Mantis were fully braked on that first drop.

3 train operation was only used for 1 season. The third train was taken off because people are to stupid to listen to the op's, and its just to much (Like how TTD rarely run all 6 trains).

The trim breaks are extremely important to this ride. With out them, the G-Forces would be way to high, and the fact the train is pretty much destroying its structure from it, same with Mean Streak. However, there are a few times that the trims could be off.

TheGreatOne wrote:

Mantis isn't a rough as people make it out to be. Most enthusiasts are wimps with no tolerance for pain.

No, Mantis is bad. It's not "Go To The Hospital" rough, but it's very uncomfortable. And that makes me a wimp? Let me know if you want to compare pain stories.

Mantis is bad because there is not much room for your head to move, thus it gets banged all around when riding. Also, the G's pull at your legs -- it feels like something is clawing at your calves.

In a dream world, I would love to see B&M and CP replace the stand up trains with appropriately heightened floorless trains.

22 Years old, 6'0. With full or empty train it vibrates more than the Blue Streak and for me, defense or offensive riding doesnt stop me from coming off with very sore ears.

It someone has the magic code to riding without hitting your head on at least 4-5 spots, let me know. Otherwise, Ill just take pictures from now on. I think 6 years of torture on that is enough for me. It actually rides better with NO trims too BTW.

I also am a wooden coaster fanatic so pain in many forms isnt much of an issue. Infact, I have a pretty high pain tolerance to alot of things. I just dont enjoy a ride that has incredibly smooth design flawed by horrible train design. Restraints reach much too high and the trains vibrate something fierce.

I know a lot of rough rides that are OK if you keep your head back against the headrest.

But some rides, like the old Corkscrew at Silverwood, that don't work!

I know I'm not riding that beast again til the new headrests are in