TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Braces

Nemmy

1) Spacers that go in the back of your teeth. They say they don't hurt that bad, but once they start moving molars to make way for the bands around the back teeth, you are in some pain. Motrin will do the trick though. Take the medicine BEFORE you go to the orthodontist if you don't have a high pain tolerance.

If you actually read the entire thread, you'd have seen that I was bypassing bands on my back teeth to avoid headgear (because I was going to get a tooth pulled).

EDIT: I was supposed to get them last year, actually, but when they tried to put the fifth (and final) spacer in, I kept gagging like hell and eventually they just took the other four out and I never got anything done with that appointment.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also had the evil jaw expander!!!

What did your jaw expander look like, did it go in the roof of your mouth?

I have braces and I hate them! I also have to wear some device that goes in the roof of my mouth, it took me about a month to get use to it. And if having to have all of that stuff in your mouth all the time isn't bad enough, I have wear bands that go from my top teeth to my bottom teeth! I can't wear them while I eat, I have to change them when I get up in the morning and when I go to bed at night.

Nemmy, I did read that. I was just commenting in general about the spacers for anyone in general that would be getting braces. I wanted to get my 2 braces pet peeves out there. However,I didn't mind braces. I have to agree I kind of liked them as well and I do wear my retainer proudly as well!

I had the privilage of the jaw expander and braces in middle school. Don't want to do it again, thank you very much. However, my wisdom came in when I was twenty and started pushing some of my teeth around, so the dentist pulled them. My teeth aren't as straight as they were when I got my braces off, but at least they're not as bad as when I was a kid.

I don't know anything about braces for teeth, but if it's a back brace, I'm your man! I have scoliosis; just a minor curve in my spine. I had a Boston brace for about a year, and I definately didn't wear it like I was supposed to. I was supposed to wear it 16 hours a day, which wasn't too bad when I got used to it. Sleeping in it was a chore though.

I'm always scared of getting braces when I go to the dentist though since my two front teeth on the bottom are definately crooked. I remember asking hte dentist once if I needed them and he said "nope, everything's fine." I still think he's crazy, but I don't want braces either.

I had braces for only a year (my teeth straightened super fast) and now I have an invisible retainer I put on...I don't know if I could help you that much because the people I went to were like...braces fanatics...instead of them doing those gooey things on my teeth, they just took pictures from inside my mouth I wish I had those pictures...but yea...I hated them when I had them but now I smile cool...(look at my profile pic)

• 6 months later...

I broke the finger of the woman tightening my braces. Her finger slipped and the little hook went half an inch into my gums and my jaw seized up and bit down hard on her finger and wouldn't let go. It was really funny, actually, because she was a bitch.

Currently my braces are warring against my gums, but tomorrow they'll be fine. I had braces for four years, from third to seventh grade, when I got them off, and had a retainer into eighth grade. Then that stopped and I coasted for two years, and got braces again about six months ago.

Spacers are the worst. Expanders are worse than spacers.

I only had mine for a year!! But my teeth are going back to the way they were cause I don't always wear my retainer

Wear your retainer!!

I have a metal one glued on the bottom inside, and a clear one for the top at night. I don't even notice them anymore...but you really should wear it! You don't want to get braces again do you?