TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Braces

Nemmy

Anyone remember last year when I posted that I was getting LASIK surgery? Well, I'm back again with another stupid procedure. Braces. Failure to receive them when I was a teenager requires me to get braces in order to prevent damage in a few years. So, apparently I have a severe overbite, really crooked teeth, plus a tooth that needs to be pulled in order for me to surpass headgear. My appointment to get them on is February 20th.

Any advice so I don't freak out during the procedure? I have a high gag reflex, so they're not putting bands on my back teeth.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am actually marked on their files as a Gagger I have had bottom back bands for a while, and a Pendulum thing in the top of my mouth. I was gagging during the Impressions and the Pendulum placement. Now, as of 2 days ago, I have my entire bottom braces put on, then in about a month I get the pendulum out and the top braces on.

Anyways, to get back to you LOL My mom always tells me to just continuously breath thru my nose, never stick your tongue up, as in press it down if you can, and stay calm. Lay there and hum "Celebration!"

Just don't get all tense, some Ortho people hate that LOL. All I can say is the advice I gave you that my mom gave me. You'll be fine

And we all love you here LOL

I also had the evil jaw expander!!!

Anyways, Braces suck, just try and relax and breath through your nose while they're doing their thing. If you need a break, just tell them and take a 30 second break while they're putting stuff on.

Have some advil/tylenol ready, and always follow their instructions!

Oh wow. I should not have read that Robb I am mentally scared lol

And yay! Elissa agrees with me! I feel so speshal

My friend was telling me he has some jaw expander in the roof of his mouth, but his he has to crank twice every night! And it makes a cracky sound when he does it. Says he gets put thru QUOTE "freaking hell" UNQUOTE. Ugh, it just causes me pain to hear about it!

And yeah, I forgot about the painkillers! I mean, uh, braces cause no pain and they are a wonderful thing. Uh, yeah!

This thread has gotten just a lot of action, just like I do nearly every night.

Yeah, braces are a completely painless operation that will never hurt your gums/teeth/lips whatsoever, will never get any food stuck in them, and will cure cancer.

My orthodontist told me I should look into getting a Waterpick. Great. Whatever that is, it doesn't sound good.

Ive had braces now for about 4 months now, and they are fine.

Don't worry about them, I mean ur only gonna wear them for about 18 months or so, maybe even shorter and then for the rest of your life you will have lovely straight teeth.

The only thing I found painful was not being able to eat solid food for about 5 days after they 1st got put on!

Good Luck and let us know how ur getting on!

^Yeah, 3rd day and I am starting to eat some solids But I only have the bottoms at the moment.

^^A waterpick is a little machine thingie that shoots water out *anyone want to make a innapropriate joke about that?* to get under the wires and clean it all out. It is really cool, you do it till the water level is down and then ya turn it off *any more jokes?*.

It's cool, not painful, have fun

i had a jaw expander too, and i hated it. i had to turn it with a stick type thing, and then a few weeks after having it on my front teeth started to pull apart so i looked stupid. stupid expander!

anyway, after getting your braces tightened take some aspirin right away!

good luck!

^Yeah, 3rd day and I am starting to eat some solids But I only have the bottoms at the moment.

^^A waterpick is a little machine thingie that shoots water out *anyone want to make a innapropriate joke about that?* to get under the wires and clean it all out. It is really cool, you do it till the water level is down and then ya turn it off *any more jokes?*.

It's cool, not painful, have fun

That does sound cool.

When my brother had braces, he had a similar waterpick type attachment for the shower. It was a lot of fun! Too bad I didn't get to have one when I had braces (even though I had them done by the same orthadontist).

The bad parts about braces (at least for me, as I had them done in my teens)

Getting them tightened - They do it once a month, and it hurts for a day or two after

The rubber bands - You need to change them every day and they end up everywhere.

Flossing - More of a chore than without braces

Talking - Most people have trouble understanding me without braces.

Getting them tightened - They do it once a month, and it hurts for a day or two after

The rubber bands - You need to change them every day and they end up everywhere.

These both apply to me.

I've had braces for 2 years in June, and I still eat popcorn, caramel, etc... Is it good for your teeth? Probably not, but if the point of wearing braces is to move your teeth, what effect is sugar/junk food going to have anyway?

I've broken off a brace twice, but it was because: 1. I got hit in the mouth playing travel soccer, and 2. I bit into a French fry. Don't ask about that last one, because I don't know, either.

just yesterday i finished treatment with my orthodontist, had braces in for 15 months and then top & bottom retainers for a year. Had to haev elastic bands for the final 9 months of wearing the braces, they were a pain to fit at first, but then once i got used to where the pins were, i could hook them up in the dark. Worst part of the whole thing for me was the first week or two, had to have 4 teeth out to make room, and there was some pain with eating for the first few days, but after that it was a breeze. Now i just have to wear my retainers one night a week minimum, but I'm done with my treatment, i have a lovely set of teeth now

also, wow, never heard of half the stuff you lot are mentioning....(waterpick, pendulum etc...) all i now about are the train tracks, and fixed & removable retainers :/

I did braces back in middle school. Now I just have a removable top retainer and a bottom retainer that is cemented in for life (unless I eat Twizzlers ). Two things you need to be looking out for so you don't freak out...

1) Spacers that go in the back of your teeth. They say they don't hurt that bad, but once they start moving molars to make way for the bands around the back teeth, you are in some pain. Motrin will do the trick though. Take the medicine BEFORE you go to the orthodontist if you don't have a high pain tolerance.

2) SLENDERIZING - it is EVIL. My teeth were all very crowded so they had to stick "a sandpaper stick" in between my teeth to sand them away a little bit. This is not fun and left my shirt even a bit bloody. It hurt a lot and I looked like I had just been punched in the mouth. I heard that I was a rare scenario, but I would make sure you know how bad that some of that ortho stuff can get. Good luck though, and remember, being a metal mouth pays off!

Wow, am I the only one who actually loved having braces?! I had them for 2 1/2 years and got them removed when I was 16. I used to smile like crazy when I had them, I just thought they were so cool for some odd reason. Sure, the pain was there, but it wasn't that bad. And I know all the precautions one has to take, like never chew gum, eat hard foods, or drink soda. I'm not proud to say that I broke every rule (except drinking soda... yuck!) yet somehow I never broke a bracket. I say embrace your metal mouth status while you have it. It won't be forever.

Wow, am I the only one who actually loved having braces?! I had them for 2 1/2 years and got them removed when I was 16. I used to smile like crazy when I had them, I just thought they were so cool for some odd reason. Sure, the pain was there, but it wasn't that bad. And I know all the precautions one has to take, like never chew gum, eat hard foods, or drink soda. I'm not proud to say that I broke every rule (except drinking soda... yuck!) yet somehow I never broke a bracket. I say embrace your metal mouth status while you have it. It won't be forever.

NO!! I was just about to say that! I liked braces. I didn't mind them that much and thought they looked cool! Now I have my retainer and I like it just as much. Do not just act like you don't need to wear your retainer. One of my friends went through a few years with braces, never wore his retainer and now his teeth are all crooked again.

Trust me, its worth all the money and "pain" to get braces.

^ Wow you're really lucky. I could be wrong, but I think pretty much everyone here has to pay for braces. And they aren't cheap.

I had braces for 3 years (2 "phases") and honestly I didn't think they were that bad. I can't say I liked how they looked, but I got used to them, plus a lot of other people I knew had them too which made it better. The only really bad part is if you have to get teeth pulled in order to put them on. And sometimes your teeth hurt a little after getting the braces put on or tightened. That and not being allowed to eat certain things since your brackets would supposedly break (never happened to me though and I broke that rule many times.)

It was all worth it though, since now my teeth are perfectly straight. I have to wear a retainer at night now, but that's not bad at all.

I had braces for about two and a half years, and they weren't that bad. The only things i really didn't like were getting them on, getting them off, and wearing headgear everynight for about a year. that was a big pain. but other than that, braces aren't that big of a deal.