TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Rides that will never happen

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really would love a robotic coaster, but I just can't see that happening.

I've seen the travel channel's specials, and one of them showed it as a prototype on a straight 500 foot long test track. It's also on the new expansion pack for RCT3.

If and when a robotic coaster comes out, I probably won't trust it enough to ride it.

Setpoint (builder of HersheyPark Roller Soaker) had a cool concept for a dueling coaster built around a single box lattice type track system (looks like Intamin box track) where there was a train that rode the two right hand two rails and a second that rode the left two rails. Looked like a 4 wide train split down the middle.

This concept was on their website years ago and taken off. Setpoint doesn't really do much in amusements these days so you'll never see this one.

I have often thought about how cool it would be to have a B&M Inverter interwinding with a Rapid River.

Imagine: Half Cobra Roll that crosses a tree line to the right, a slight right turn and you end up on a long straight track - below you runs a Rapid. You drop down and race the Rafts very close, go through a zero-g and drop down to the rapid again, then the rides would seperate again.

That would be so good.

This would be for the Stratoshpere Tower. You board it at the base of the tower. And lock yourselfs into seats like Goliaths' at SFMM, but, it would only be one car, and it would be with OTSRs. So it would look like one of Goliaths cars. The track would be 2 vetical poles reaching all the way to the top of the tower. The side of the car would be attatched to the 2 poles. So the train would move up and down like a zipper on a pair of pants would. Anyway the ride would tilt back into a launch position staring up a the sky, then it would launch. The train would be able to move exactly like X's seats would move. But it would be moved by a computer instead of the track like X does. So the car could be flipping forwards and backwards as it went up and down the poles it was connected to. So you could freefall, fall face first, fall backwards all that stuff. Pretty cool huh?

Haha..I've had crazy ideas about a B&M Dive Machine [or something equally wonderful] with a 90 degree lift and drop bolted onto the side of a skyscraper...the Sears Tower in Chicago would be good for something like that...1,450 foot, 90 degree drop at terminal velocity? Yeah, we'll never see it.

Also, I agree that S&S should resurrect Arrow's pipeline idea. And give it a Dodonpa-esque launch [0-107 in 1.8 seconds, anyone?] Then the usual tower, then some heartline rolls and other such things.

Speaking of heartline rolls, how about a roll [or any inversion] on a dive machine? [is SheiKra's really an inversion or just a crazy turn?]

Anyway, there's my two cents.

I absolutely LOVE this thread.

I always liked to design rides on paper that either are possible, yet would never be built, or that are impossible for safety reasons.

The first time I ever saw an inverted coaster, I didn't understand that the trains where shaped like they were.... I actuallty thought that the riders went upide down at the bottom of the loops and right side up at the top. This inspired a lot of creativity, I started thinking of new ideas to invent.

Of course, I have dreamt the dive machine from the stratosphere.

I have also thought of a 4D coaster, however, the cars rotate by natural motion like they do on the zipper, a Top Scan, Top Spin etc.

I have also designed several rides where the rider travels straight along an upside down piece of track for quite a long time. Back when I was afraid to go on most roller coasters (but was still as much of an enthusiast as I am today), I actually thought that would be scary.

I also designed a lot of "torture rides", usually involving people getting strapped in by their arms and feet and being held under water or dipped in lava as they pass by.

And opf course, I created a roller coaster with extra wheels on the side, where it jumps off the track and drives downa ramp for the second part of the ride.

This would be for the Stratoshpere Tower. You board it at the base of the tower. And lock yourselfs into seats like Goliaths' at SFMM, but, it would only be one car, and it would be with OTSRs. So it would look like one of Goliaths cars. The track would be 2 vetical poles reaching all the way to the top of the tower. The side of the car would be attatched to the 2 poles. So the train would move up and down like a zipper on a pair of pants would. Anyway the ride would tilt back into a launch position staring up a the sky, then it would launch. The train would be able to move exactly like X's seats would move. But it would be moved by a computer instead of the track like X does. So the car could be flipping forwards and backwards as it went up and down the poles it was connected to. So you could freefall, fall face first, fall backwards all that stuff. Pretty cool huh?

They did propose something sort of like that but the project has been shelved.

http://www.gettheloop.com/loopdecember1/loop023.html

(scroll about halfway down until you see a pic of the stratosphere and the article titled "Broken Arrow")

I always thought it would be cool to do something like X but different. Imagine a stand up coaster where the seats tilt to a laying position? Up the lift hill, then the drop is like 95 degrees down, as you crest the lift hill, the seats lay flat back and it basically is a drop ride, but when you hit the bottom, the sits go upright suddenly. You could have an outside raven turn with the seats laying flat almost like your feet and the world drop out from under you. Could be interesting...........

I've always pictured a launch coaster where you do heart-line rolls down the launch track.

Also I heard this idea from someone i met at some park (I forget wich one): A traditional sit down coaster that, halfway through the ride, droped down through the track so it turns into and inverted coaster.

• 1 month later...

No one has posted here in a while but I came up with something and really wanted to mention it...

A wooden roller coaster with exterior guide wheels. To keep the wooden look, it could use pieces of wood ( like telephone poles) as supports, basically like steel supports but wooden, the track would be wood, but have a steel interior to strengthen it, so it's supports could be spaced apart.

The concept is simple, a Larson Crazy Train and a Larson Ring Of Fire combined, but in a more insane way. The ride would consist of one large 60 foot ring suspended between two large suports with the ability to flip the ring, and a train much like a roller coaster train. What the ride would do motion wise, is pretty simple. The ring, would flip slowly and the train inside it would use the motion of the ring for propulsion. The ring would slowly swing, with its's side to side motions causing the train to slide around inside the ring. Eventually the ring will catch speed and do fast forward flipping motions, not fast enough to keep the train from staying still due to centripetal force. This ride would incorperate an inertia ring much like what is implimented on the Ring Of Fire. The ring's motions would cause for an experience like no other. The train would be free running untill it needs to brake, which would be done with tire drives. This ride could be possible, just unlikely to ever exist.

I made up the tilt coaster.... figured it was impossible... let the idea go... and then vekoma wnet and built it.

I also made up a craszy I ea about as hopping mall that has a rollercoaster running thorugh the isles and people get what htey need formt he coaster car, figured it wasn't efficient, let the idea go, and then some crazy japanese folks built it.