TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mission: Space-Not Lame.

I have read and heard so many negative reviews about Mission: Space that I really dont get it. I have ridden it 7 times. Every time being a blast. I had no problems with the line, the little wait, and Gary Sinise. I think that the pre-ride builds you up, and I have had no trouble with motion sickness.

It seems thats where the negative reviews stem from. The motion sickness. They warn you at least 3 times before you get on the ride that if you cant handle motion sickness to get off, and it is a pretty clear warning. The launch and launch from orbit under the Moon is pretty intense, you feel the G-Force as your face peels back and you are pushed against your seat. You even have barf bags to help you out if you puke.

I dont think riders pay attention to the warnings before they enter the ride, therefore giving it negative criticism. I just think people should be more responsible when they enter a ride and know whats going on.

Excuse my rant. Im directing it towards no one here.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well -- look at it this way: some people (like myself) don't like it because it is intense. Now, I can 'handle' it...as in, I've been on it several times and appreciate the unique (4 g) experience, but I don't go to a Disney theme park to experience something intense, or strap myself in a sophisticated machine -- I go to a Disney park to be entertained. There are more layers to entertainment than just 'intensity'. Mission Space doesn't suspend a lot of disbelief. Little to no effort was applied to make you believe you are leaving the planet. I mean, for goodness sake, you see the simulator in all its mechanical parts. (another example DCA TOT -- that walkway between basement and elevator) Motivation plays a factor here. An intense ride just doesn't cater to the masses like an entertaining dark ride does (or even a heavily themed family coaster a la Big Thunder or Space). You mentioned responsibility -- that's a two way street. Many people feel its irresponsible to spend 100 million on an attraction which leaves out many people. Some of these folks are either pregnant, the elderly, those with back problems and trouble in confined spaces (that's quite a list!)

It's not a bad ride... $100 million seems like one helluva price tag for it but it is by no means a bad ride. I've been on it countless times, even without the restraint! (which is very fun.. my friend works there) and have had a good time. However, it does lack re-ridability because of how intense it is and let's face it.. I work with guests daily.. I guarantee half of them don't pay any attention to, or even care about the what.. 15 warnings?

One thing I've noticed, Test Track will have wait times of 120 minutes during peak days and Mission:Space will have maybe a 30.. capacity isn't the issue, I think there's bad hype about the ride that scares a lot of people from even trying it.. and who can blame them from possibly puking all over themselves and everyone else mid flight for $60. I wonder what puking in high G's would look like..

I'm REALLY interested to see how well the much better simulator ride.. and much better overall ride (IMO) Soarin' does at Epcot.

I'd rather see the next $100 mil go to extending the monorail which will never happen til Eisner gets the boot.

Eric " I miss Horizons " Geiple

MSpace.jpg.65d4cdaf0d3fa58cc3aa83006329fafc.jpg

prettttty

I think it's the best ride in Disney at the moment. I bet it's only a matter of time before they have to dumb it down to receive the same fate as Alien Encounter. I heard they've already stepped down the G's twice since it opened - what next!

The launch and launch from orbit under the Moon is pretty intense, you feel the G-Force as your face peels back and you are pushed against your seat.

Eh? None of that has happened to me or anyone I've ridden with. We just sit there and get sick. No getting pushed into the seat, no "OMG, I can't move my hands!" baloney. No story, nothing. Just "Let's see how long it takes before your face turns green." That's about it. I think it's unnecessary intensity. Not really fun in any way. The price tag is just another reason for me to think it's the product of Disney going in panic mode after Universal cornered the thrill market in Orlando.

What is it exactly, I have seen photos of the pods you go in but I don't understand what it does. Is it like a Gravitron/Rotor that spins around in a lateral circle or is it like the Space rings on Rct so that it spins verticaly.

CoasterEric didnt myself and my roommate talk to you a whole lot on Tuesday and Thursday of last week. We rode Ice a lot and my roommate remembers an Eric that talked to us and would say "You are banished from this ride." Did you wear a black hat, kind of what rappers wear, lol?

Before Mission: Space, Disney came out with cheap ride after cheap ride. The rides either were off the shelf stuff (like Primeval Whirl or Triceratop Spin) or suffered a lot of budget cuts that the ride wasn't fun anymore. Mission: Space was a breath of fresh air from Disney. It's the best ride they've put out in years. Now we'll see what happens when Everest opens.

Agreed, BarryH. In this world of competitive theme parks producing thrill rides that surpass other rides yearly, Disney World has to come up with something that will satisfy the thrill seeker besides Rockin Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror. Mission: Space is a thrill ride that Disney needed badly to give those thrill addicts (like myself) something to ride at Epcot. Those who complain about the ride just shouldnt ride it. Disney has to compete, and let those who want to ride it, well, just ride it.

I still think that Mission Space is a nearly 'perfect ride'. That being said, I don't really like it, but I see it for what it is.

It has all of these great forces, but as soon as you almost start to feel sick, they ease up. And it keeps up like that for the whole ride. It is very interesting, and somewhat rerideable. I agree that I don't quite see where the 100mil went, and I would have rather had like 5 California Screamins, but whatever!

Elissa "I miss Horizons too!" Alvey

Is that all it pulls? It felt more like 2 or 3. Geez, I need to find something that pushes me to my limits. I even looked around in the cabin during take off and other points in the ride, even to the sides. No dizziness, no drama. Its easy to do when you know you are swirling around.

Quite frankly, theres nothing that ever imersses me in a ride so much I forget where I am. I always am aware its all a ride, all a facade. While I LOVE detail, like TOT WDW where I would sit down and look around if I could, I still know its skin deep.

With that being said, I love the fact that I can see the MASSIVE arms of the centrifuge on Mission:Space. That was and is so impressive. Those things are Ginormous.

I still love it though. Im entertained by it. While i always know its all a show, I never do anything to take away from the show, like letting things detract from the exprience (like seeing part of the ride...oh no!)

Maybe the problem is Epcot's split personality. It's supposed to be educational as well as entertaining, and that's proved a tough combination to maintain. And Future World is built around huge pavillions, each featuring a single E-ticket experience. Mission:Space is certainly the very best kinetic attraction that Epcot has, much better than the lamentable Test Track (which is somehat less thrilliing than riding my motorcycle down the freeway). It's big, it's amazing, abd it's technologically accomplished. Unfortunately for Epcot, it's simply not appealing to a majority of the park's visitors, most of whom are more focused on eating overpriced foreign food or keeping track of Junior's diaper bag than exploring the far reaches of the galaxy.

I LOVE Mission: Space. It is easily the best simulator I've EVER been on. I really don't understand how people couldn't like it unless it made them sick.

I still come off impressed when I ride it. I guess its just me. I can't wait to get my mom on it. She doesn't even like Scramblers!

Mission: SPACE is the perfect ride to end my day of work with!

CoasterEric didnt myself and my roommate talk to you a whole lot on Tuesday and Thursday of last week. We rode Ice a lot and my roommate remembers an Eric that talked to us and would say "You are banished from this ride." Did you wear a black hat, kind of what rappers wear, lol?

I wear my dorky Dragons hat but nothing rappish! haha.. I usually say dumb things to people.. who knows! nice meeting you though! haha.

Eric "back to Mission:Space" Geiple

M:S is one of the best rides/attractions at Epcot. Alot of the people you hear "getting sick" on it are usually either the clowns who eat a big meal before jumping on or the snowbirds in bermuda shorts, brown sandals and black socks down for the winter. I'll give the same advice I give to anyone who rides any high G ride(Coaster, M:S, My Car):

1) If your scared or apprehensive, dont go

2) Dont eat a big meal or drink before you ride.

3) Obey the rules and listen to what the ride ops say.

4) Enjoy the ride

Chris "They Dont Call Me Vomit Comet For Nothin" Zer0

I was shocked by MS. It exceeded any expectations I had of it.

I hate simulators

I hate spinning rides

I loved Mission Space

This was the first simulator I've bene on where the visuals and forces really matched up, and it really felt like you were doing what it said you were doing. Well done ride, Disney!

MS.jpg.61097f4b85c8e98b7a7980b5d9a1f97e.jpg

Moon over Mission Space...