215 members have voted

1. 1. Which is rougher?

• Vekoma
    • Arrow

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't been into coasters long enough to have a substantial ride selection to judge (3 Vekoma and 7 Arrow). of the Vekoma, I've had an invertigo, an LSM, and a flyer. Arrows were 2 suspended, mine ride, 2 corkscrews (3 & 6 inv), hyper, and Gemini. The Arrow corkscrews were the only ones that hurt from roughness (and the Gemini helix). BUT, I have yet to try a standard Vekoma looper, and I know I've ridden three of the smoothest Vekoma models...

I voted for Vekoma just because of some of the boomerangs and SLCs.

I like both companies have some good coasters, and usually I can ignore the roughness of a coaster (except the SLC at Morey's). Overall I think that the Vekoma coasters that I've been on have been much worse rough-wise than Arrow.

Vekoma! Id rather die than have to ride an SLC!

They aren't quite that bad. Kong at SFDK was known for being among the roughest of the SLCs and I rode it last Saturday and it was running quite smoothly which made for an enjoyable ride. (I wonder when we'll see "smooth" and "SLC" in the same sentence again ) Anyways, I remember the ride back in 2001/2002 and it was way worse back then. I think it all depends on how well the park maintains it. In general, Vekomas are rougher than Arrows. I have yet to experience a smooth Boomerang though. Arrow definately has more unique rides than Vekoma like X and Viper which happen to be amazing coasters! My vote goes for Vekoma as the worse.

I actually have no idea why everybody is complainting about those boomerangs and SLC's, I've been on 2 Boomerangs and 2 SLC's and ok, they are not the smoothest ones out there but it isn't that bad, especially the ''newer'' ones such as Vampire in Walibi Belgium, the El Condor in Walibi World is rough, i agree but that thing is like 17 years old and had bad maintenance all his life, that isn't Vekoma's fault right, as rides get older, most of the time they get rougher and the Vampire was actually quite smooth, same for the boomerangs, there not that bad either.

And if you look at the newer rides of Vekoma you compare the ''smoothness'' with the B&M's and Intamins, Vekoma's rides get better and better.

I do have to say I never rode an Arrow but saw a lot of POV of them and the rides didn't look so smooth to me.

Some of them just look like they are about to fall apart, that doesn't mean I wouldn't want to ride an Arrow because I like old rough rides, but for the poll I have to go with Arrow

Let's take a look at my Arrow/Vekoma track record:

Arrow:

1: Trailblazer - Hersheypark

First rode in: 2000

Last rode in: 2003

Will ride again in: Possibly 2008 - I might go to DP.

Counts on Trailblazer: 2

Overall roughness - this one was somewhat rough. Not too bad, though.

Rating: 5.5/10

2: Corkscrew - Cedar Point

First rode in: 2004

Last rode in: 2004

Will ride again in: 2008

Counts on Corkscrew: 1

Overall roughness: Pretty smooth

Rating: 6.5/10

2: Gemini - Cedar Point

Counts on Gemini: 1 on Blue

Overall roughness - very smooth - a small bump on the bottom of the first drop, but otherwise great.

Rating: 6.8/10

3: Iron Dragon - Cedar Point

Counts on Iron Dragon: 1

Overall roughness - Ouch, this one hurt.

Rating: 3.9/10

4: Viper - Darien Lake

Last rode in: 2007

Counts on Viper: Approximately 7

Overall roughness: The restraints were kind of hard, but the track was VERY smooth - for something soon to be 26 years old, it is probably one of the smoothest Arrows out there, and it's pretty intense, too.

Rating: 8/10

5: Steamin' Demon - The Great Escape & Splashwater Kingdom

First rode in: 2006

Last rode in: 2006

Will ride again in: unknown - probably in 2010 or 2011.

Counts on Steamin' Demon: 2

Overall roughness: This one is also pretty smooth, like Viper, but the restraints are still bad.

Rating: 7/10

6: Canyon Blaster - The Great Escape & Splashwater Kingdom

Will ride again in: unknown - probably in 2010 or 2011.

Counts on Canyon Blaster: 1 or 2

Overall roughness: Still not too bad. But the line was pretty long.

Rating: 5.7/10

Arrow's Overall "Company Rating": 5.23/10

Vekoma:

1: Rock 'n' Roller Coaster - Walt Disney World - MGM Studios

First rode in: 2003

Last rode in: 2005

Will ride again in: unknown - probably in either 2009 or 2010.

Counts on Rock 'n' Roller Coaster: 3

Overall roughness: This one is easily the smoothest Vekoma I have been on so far. A nice and intense, well themed ride. I just wish the coaster was outside because that would equal for some really nice pictures and video shots.

2: Mind Eraser - Darien Lake

Counts on Mind Eraser: 3 or 4

Overall roughness: Not to good, but still not the worst I have been on.

Rating: 6/10

3: Flying Unicorn - Universal Studios Islands of Adventure

First rode in: 2005

Last rode in: 2005

Will ride again in: probably either 2009 or 2010.

Counts on Flying Unicorn: 1

Overall roughness - pretty smooth. Luckily there are no OTSRs so it's not bad.

Rating: 7.5/10 (It's very well themed.)

4: Sidewinder - Hersheypark

First rode in: 2005

Will ride again in: Possibly in 2008 - I might go to DP.

Counts on Sidewinder: 2 or 3

Overall roughness: Of all five Boomerangs I have been on - all of them were smooth. There was some headbanging in the back seat, but it's easily bearable and I can probably ride them at least six times in a row or more before getting a head ache.

5: Boomerang - The Great Escape & Splashwater Kingdom

Will ride again in: unknown - possibly around 2010 or 2011.

Counts on Boomerang: About 3

Overall roughness: Still smooth. This one is probably my favorite Boomerangs - and with the Adirondack Mountains, it is also the nicest looking Boomerang I have seen in person so far.

6: Boomerang - Darien Lake

Counts on Boomerang: At least 4or 5

Overall roughness: Once again, this one was smooth, as well.

Rating: 7.5/10

7: Okeechobee Rampage - Cypress Gardens

First rode in: 2007

Will ride again in: unknown

Counts on Okeechobee Rampage: Approximately 2 or 3

Ovrall roughness: Quite smooth and surprisingly forceful, and the ride op gave us two runs in a row - which was done on every coaster except for Galaxy Spin and the kiddie coaster (Starliner was still under construction when I was there.)

Rating: 6.5/10

8: Swamp Thing - Cypress Gardens

Counts on Swamp Thing: 1

Overall roughness: This is so far the only Vekoma Coaster that I didn't like - the only one that really hurt.

Rating: 4/10

9: Zoomerang - Lake Compounce

Counts on Zoomerang: Approximately 3 or 4

Overall roughness: Once again, this Boomerang, even in back seat, doesn't hurt that much.

10: Mind Eraser - Six Flags New England

Counts on Mind Eraser: 1

Overall roughness: What???? I heard so much about this coaster being one of the worst SLC's out there! I was expecting a world of hurt, and yes the wheel assembly was bad, but the restraints were really soft, and the ride had basically no headbanging. I almost put it in my top 10. Definitely my favorite Vekoma.

Rating: 8.8/10

11: Flashback - Six Flags New England

Overall roughness: It's also pretty smooth.

Overall "company rating": 7.0273/10

Overall, I like Vekoma better, but I have been on almost twice as many Vekomas as Arrows. Overall, I think they are both good.

I've been on both horrible and good rides made by both companies. Vekoma, however, is marginally worse because SLCs are the biggest crime against God and man. If every SLC was melted down today, I'd celebrate with an expensive bottle of Champagne. I'd be happy to see them go.

I say Vekoma is worse. Only because a couple of my all time favorites are Arrow coasters, and none of them are Vekomas.

Lets face it, Magnum was "the bomb" in it's prime, and it still holds up as a fun ride. Steel Phantom was such a unique ride, though many people thought it was too rough, I loved it. And many of the old loopers like Vortex and (insert park here) corkscrews aren't "bad".

I'm gonna say Vekoma makes the rougher coasters of the two. I can't think of anything by Arrow that's as rough as the Mind Erasers i've been on, as well as Top Gun at Wonderland. I don't have too many problems with Arrow coasters, though some of them can be uncomfortable for sure. Magnum is pretty rough and painful, but I still like it a lot. I guess Corkscrew at CP is the worst Arrow i've been on, and it fails more on being lame than being painful.

• 7 months later...

I've only been on 3 coasters, 1 vekoma and 2 arrow

Runaway Mine Train and Great American Scream Machine @ SFGAdv and Blue Tornado @ Gardaland.

Blue Tornado were much rougher than Great American Scream Machine.

Great American Scream Machine was very great to me, so at the moment i'll vote for Arrow!

My experience tells me Vekoma is worse than Arrow. Actually, a fair number of the Arrow coasters I've been on were bearable, I can't say the same for the Vekoma coasters I've ridden.

Another reason I prefer Arrow over Vekoma is that Arrow was by far more innovative. Arrow built the first tubular steel coaster (Matterhorn Bobsleds at Disneyland), the first modern inverting coaster (Corkscrew at Knott's Berry Farm), the first Hypercoaster (Magnum XL200 at Cedar Point), the first modern suspended coaster (The Bat at King's Island), the first log flume ride (El Aserradero at SFOT), and the first fourth dimensional coaster (X at SFMM). What has Vekoma done? Created the Boomerang, SLC and Flying Dutchman, all of which are pain machines.