TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Robb what languages do you speak?

jbuck

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That you can help your self in Europe is because almost every european does speak english

Thats the luxery that American and English people do have over here.....

I can speak Dutch German and English but thats because we have to since they are our neighbours.

Isn't it so that you American also learn Spanish at school ?

I think most people choose Spanish as a langauae to study in High School because they hear it is the easiest. Personally, my Junior High School and High School afforded French, Spanish and Italian. I opted for French to be different.

I think most people choose Spanish as a langauae to study in High School because they hear it is the easiest. Personally, my Junior High School and High School afforded French, Spanish and Italian. I opted for French to be different.

I think French is easier than Spanish for Americans.

But the pronunciation is probably a pain in the ass.

I took three years of Spanish in high school, then it was a minor in college, so I ended up studying it for 7 years I've been told that I speak about as well as a 5 year old native speaker.

My last semester in college, I took French 100 as the gimme A class, and I nearly failed it! It was insanely difficult for me since I had studied Spanish for so long! It all just sounded like sounds mushed together, where languages like German and Portuguese actually sound like individual words.

-Julie

... It all just sounded like sounds mushed together, where languages like German and Portuguese actually sound like individual words.

Probably because French is 'designed' to be sang

From what I understood, lower level French is tougher than lower level Spanish, but once you get into the advanced stuff (especially in the usage of verbs), the trend is reversed.

Don't take my word for it, I took spanish for one year and French for six so I can't make such a judgement fairly, but I can repeat what I had been told over the years by various French and Spanish instructors of mine.

- Joe, who even after so many French courses, is ashamed to admit he can't formulate sentances well enough to communicate anymore

^^ Yes Erik, I believe that's true. Most likely because it has around 17 (?) cases, which means for somebody who speaks, for example, English, which doesn't have a case system, to learn and remember them all is near impossible. I got confused just studying the structure of languages such as Finnish and Hungarian for a couple of weeks, never mind trying to actually learn to speak them!

I speak fluent Finnish and Norwegian, and pretty good English and Swedish...

I believe I read somewhere that Finnish is rated as the most difficult language to learn in the world for non-natives.

The pronunciation and reading shouldn't be that hard for non-natives who knows finnish a bit, but the grammar stuff is extremely complicated! I was born is Finland and lived there 8 years, so I learned enough to for example go back living there with no language problems at all... We also speak finnish at home. Norwegian is no problem, very easy grammar and I spoke it half a year after we moved here I'm the best one in my class in it too!