TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coaster Expedition Vol. 5 „Japan-A-Mania and more“

Soeren Schomburg´s comment on the Theme Park Review: Coaster Expedition Vol. 5 „Japan-A-Mania and more“.

Today was a hard-working day and I was totally tired. As soon as I stepped out of my car, I got a strong feeling of relaxation and happiness. Then, I finally felt that the weekend has come. I have been longing to rest on my sofa ever since the week had started. It was just a regular day, until the moment I opened my post box. The surprise that I had in my hands, after I examined the post box, let the fatigue disappear immediately. I received a package from the USA that had crossed the long way over the Atlantic Ocean before it had reached my mailbox in Germany. The sender was Robb Alvey. Thus, the first thing that came to my mind, was to rush to my room and run the DVD with the new Coaster Expedition Volume 5 "Japan-A-Mania and More" on my computer.

This was the first DVD from Theme Park Review that I had ever seen in my life. Up to now, I had only seen the downloadable videos. Therefore, I was looking forward to seeing everything from Robb´s and Elissa´s photo reviews in a video form.

Right away, I put the first disc in the DVD-ROM and then I had the greatest time of my life watching the best theme park clips I had ever seen.

Disc 1: Japan-A-Mania and MORE!!!

The first disc has 22 titles.

1. Opening (It starts with a great variety of funny clips introducing Robb’s, Elissa’s and their friend Dan’s trip to Japan.)

Then, at the next 13 segments, you will see some Japan Theme Parks that they have visited:

2. Tokyo Disney Resort (I have never visited TDR, but it looks like the trip would be worth it.)

3. Tobu Zoo (with the lovely looping Togo Crazy Mouse)

4. Yomiuriland

5. Fuji-Q

6. Toshimean / Tokyo Summerland (which had an awful nut breaking Top Spin. Robb really came to know that, because he actually felt it) - Robb, I hope everything is okay right now? :shock:

7. Universal Studios Japan

8. Expoland (looked like Walt Disney´s “creepy” Ghettoland)

9. Nara Dreamland

10. Nagashima Spaland

11. Hirakata

12. Parque Espana (which had the awesome Escalator Ride)

13. Joypolis / La Qua

14. Sea Paradise Cosmoworld (with some cool Boat Jumpers!!!)

It looked like the guys had a lot of fun in Japan and I had the impression that it must have been an unbelievably impressing journey.

After that you will see 7 segments with parks around the USA:

15. Segway Around The World (at Epcot, which you know from the TPR website)

http://www.themeparkreview.com/videos/video.htm

16. Deep South Trip (Dollywood, Carowinds, Six Flags Over Georgia)

17. California Parks

18. Hersheypark

19. Castles N` Coasters

20. Texas Parks (with Robb´s incredible “Six Flags” dance at the end, you will like it)

21. Halloween in Florida (incl. “Halloween Horror Nights” at Universal Orlando, Disney´s “Not so scary Halloween Party”, Bush Gardens “Howl-O-Scream” and Seaworld´s “Halloween Spooktacular”) – and the

22. Closing sequence (featuring everything else they did in 2004)

Running Time: 72 Minutes

Disc 2: Coaster & Ride Footage 2004

The second disc also has 22 titles. Here, Robb Alvey takes us along for a great roller coaster ride, where you will find some good on-ride and off-ride videos of various roller coasters. You can see rides from the Japanese trip and from some coasters around the USA. At the next 15 segments you will see some Japanese coaster rides:

1. Title

2. La Qua

3. Tokyo Summerland

4. Sea Paradise / Cosmoworld

5. Expoland

6. Toshimaen

7. Tobu Zoo (with Elissas lovely looping Togo Crazy Mouse)

8. Nara Dreamland

9. Festival Gate

10. Fuji-Q

11. Yomiuriland (quote Robb: “Wet Footage is better than no Footage”)

12. Nagashima Spaland

13. Hirakata

14. Parque Espana (incl. the awesome Escalator Ride)

15. Tokyo Disneyland

After that you will see 7 segments with some special coaster rides around the USA:

16. Dollywood´s Thunderhead

17. Sky Princess, William´s Grove Cyclone, Lake Winnie Cannonball

18. Journey to Atlantis (Sea World Orlando + California)

19. Super Star Limo (R.I.P. – Disneyland Resort)

20. Journey to the Center of the Earth (Tokyo Disneysea)

21. Pooh´s Hunny Hunt (Tokyo Disneyland)

22. Manhattan Express (On this ride you will hear most of the time a "peeeep", because Gregg was cursing on this very last rough ride.)

Running Time: 80 Minutes

DISC 3 - 2004 Coaster Video Contest - Winners and Final Entries

The last DVD has 19 titles and shows all the winners and final entries of the first Theme Park Review's coaster video contest. I think it is a great idea to put all of these videos coming from all over the world on a bonus DVD:

1. Rainer Zische´s - Season 2003

2. Brett Kinney´s - Six Flags Great Adventure

3. Bernhard Wimmer´s - Coaster Season 2003

4. Hope Mc Arthur´s - Eprot

5. Nicolas Chavance´s - Weekend Airtime 2003

6. Thomas Owing´s - We Like To Party

7. Brian Shinsec´s Universal Orlando

8. Nick Wiley´s Knoebel´s

9. Nick Collin´s Warner Bros. Movie World Madrid

10. Jonathan Hawkin´s Carowinds Opening Day

11. Lian Schembri´s Wonderland Sydney

12. Andrew Hartman´s Holiday World

13. Jon LoCoco´s Knotts Berry Farm

14. Chris Battaglia´s Six Flags Darien Lake

15. Nick Collin´s Blackpool Pleasure Beach

16. Bernhard Wimmer´s Mirabilandia

17. Alan Martin and Phil Hart´s Carolina Coaster Classic 2003

18. Barry Hom´s Dania Beach Hurricane

19. Jonathan Hawkin´s Six Flags Over Gorgia

Running Time: 68 Minutes

All in all, I was completely amazed to see all these great clips on the DVD-Set. I got long-lasting impressions of the wonderful adventure of the Theme Parks . With the music selection to each video, Robb had exceeded all expectations. I could only advise everyone to buy this DVD-Set. Robb’s and Elissa’s work is excellent and I am already eager to get hold of the new Season 2004. Who knows, there might even be some pictures of me in it this time.

I heard that some people complained about the price, but I think $ 30 is very reasonable for 3 DVD´s. After all, the videotape equipment is expensive and there has been a lot of time invested in cutting each and every video, as well as in mixing it with the appropriate music . So, as you can see this is very time-consumig and thus it should be worth paying for it.

At the end I have to say: “Great work Robb and Elissa! Please show us more of this cool roller coaster stuff”. :check:

Buy this fantastic DVD-Set, Buy it, Buy it... 8)

--Soren Schomburg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know how it feels when you get a DVD in the postbox with something you love so much....... I couldn't wait to see it... while working on 1 PC the DVD run an my second PC.... I just couldn't wait till after work....

The only thing I didn't like... the "watergames" (if you know what I am talking about) at Epcot... Will not show that one to my 5 year old son... (who loves coasters, just like me). Found it a bit of a shame to find that on the DVD... (sorry)

The only thing I didn't like... the "watergames" (if you know what I am talking about) at Epcot... Will not show that one to my 5 year old son... (who loves coasters, just like me). Found it a bit of a shame to find that on the DVD... (sorry)

I know what you are talking about. It is one part on the bonus DVD.

Nevertheless, it was not filmed by Robb and Elissa. It is only one part of the final entries of the first Theme Park Review's coaster video contest. I think you can show your son the first and second DVD without any doubts.

--Soeren

p.s.: I like your funny avatar!!

Once a DVD goes out, it usually only takes about a week to get to an international location. I'm a little backed up with orders right now, but I should be caught up this week.

As far as the Epcot video, yeah...that one wasn't filmed by us, and while there were some things in there that I personally wouldn't do at a park, overall the video segment WAS very funny, and very energetic, which is something we looked for in our contest entries.

--Robb

I know what you are talking about. It is one part on the bonus DVD.

Nevertheless, it was not filmed by Robb and Elissa. It is only one part of the final entries of the first Theme Park Review's coaster video contest. I think you can show your son the first and second DVD without any doubts.

--Soeren

p.s.: I like your funny avatar!!

He has seen the first DVD already. I won't show him the third one because of the watergame... I just found that it didn't belong on a DVD. As this web is up an running by some Coaster maniacs and Theme park fanatics (you have to be to give so much of your free time on a project like this) I hope that in the future videos like this are discualified. It is bad press towards the parks when they see Theme park fans act like this... Don't get me wrong... if it would be a set up movie, I can take it all.. But a fan community like this should set examples.... Now I'll go back to watching that filty gory bloody horror movie I started...

^ They are talking about Hope's Epcot video which can be found here:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/contest2004.htm

Personally, I don't find it offensive at all. It's just some teenage kids at a park having fun.

They are a LOT worse things I have seen people do at parks than play in the water and screw around. And while some of their antics in the video aren't things *I* would personally do at a park, there isn't anything there that would make me disqualify a video over.

--Robb

Ahhh, I just assumed it was a bit offensive since Ghost wouldn't let his kid see it. My stupid old replacement computer can't play videos, so I can't see the segment. But if the thumbnail is any indication of what is seen as acceptable... You better keep your cam down in Bonbonland.

That particular segment just goes to show what happens when a school trip to Epcot (or anywhere else for that matter) occurs. Its just a bunch of teenagers trying not to be bored. For everyone here over the age of 20, I'm sure we can think back to what it was like to be a teenager. Maybe we didn't all act like that, but I'm sure we can all remember one kid or group of kids who did that when we were that age. While I personally would not do some of the things they did, lets face it, they did it, they filmed it, they submitted it, and it was pretty funny. No use in crying about something that already happened. And for those people who saw it and want to try to match or beat it in upcoming video contests, Robb and Elissa will be there to determine what is ok and what gets rejected. They're two sensible people, and they know the limits to take something before its "too much" (contrary to what some ACE members may think).

It was smart of you to watch the DVDs before allowing your children to watch it. A lot of parents these days would have received the DVD in the mail, stuck the kid down in front of it, and walked away. Then they'd have come back, seen behavior they didn't approve of, and blame R&E for raising their children wrong. Stupid American parents these days.

All clear....Dispatch, enjoy your ride,

Derek "not a parent, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express" Ruth

^ They are talking about Hope's Epcot video which can be found here:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/contest2004.htm

Personally, I don't find it offensive at all. It's just some teenage kids at a park having fun.

They are a LOT worse things I have seen people do at parks than play in the water and screw around. And while some of their antics in the video aren't things *I* would personally do at a park, there isn't anything there that would make me disqualify a video over.

--Robb

Just so people know what part I am talking about. One person is taking a leak against a building and then puts a “wet sign” over it…. Personally I don’t get offended by it, I find it misbehavior that might result in others trying to top it with more of the same… and just something I don’t want to show a 5 year old so he wouldn’t get any ideas….

I don’t want to be spoiling the fun. Like I said I can take a lot… (Coming from a country where there is no movie censorship, showing all movies uncut on TV, topless is allowed on all beaches, and where the whole Janet Jackson Nipple tape was shown during daytime TV uncensored… ) Just Goofing around, but it is all true

^ The taking a leak part was 'staged.' He wasn't really taking a leak. I asked Hope about that. There was already some water or something running down the wall and the guy went and stood in front of it.

There's a LOT of stuff Elissa and I do in our photos and videos also that make it "look" like we're doing stuff, but we're not.

--Robb "If he was really peeing on a wall, I would have disqualified that." Alvey

I think the entire set of the 3 DVDs is one of the better investments I have made in a while. I have the entire collection now and it's very enjoyable to see a park from the happier less 'statistical' points of view. There are many DVDs on the market that give you perfect POV with stats, but very few invovle the opinion on a terrible foreign woody or some strange TOGO. Robb you do an excellent job and I have tried to mimick your style, but I just can't pull it off yet. I was so sad when I thought '03 was going to be the last year. I hope you keep making more, because as long as you make them, I'll keep buying them and watching them!

^ The taking a leak part was 'staged.' He wasn't really taking a leak. I asked Hope about that. There was already some water or something running down the wall and the guy went and stood in front of it.

There's a LOT of stuff Elissa and I do in our photos and videos also that make it "look" like we're doing stuff, but we're not.

--Robb "If he was really peeing on a wall, I would have disqualified that." Alvey

In that case... If it is all make believe... I'll take it all back.... (but I still don't want to give my son any ideas...)

^ Understood. I mean, if it was real, then yeah, I would have disqualified it. But it's another reason why our videos to carry a "PG-13" equivalent rating and I'm glad to see that you're being careful what you show to kids.

--Robb

• 2 years later...

This is probably a noobish question, but how come when I got to this link: http://www.themeparkreview.com/videos/volume5.htm It only says there are 2 DVDs? Sorry if this seems noobish, but I want the DVD for Christmas and don't want to be caught watching that in my house!(If it is really that offensive.) Also, could you describe the movie in detail?

I don't quite get what you're asking.

Like it explains on that page there are two DVD's included in the one package. One is the more 'fun' park and people video. One is JUST roller coaster footage.

Instead of a detailed description, just download some of the free videos off our site and see what you think.

If I get what you are asking, it is a set of two DVD's. TPR DVD sets typically come with 2 or 3 DVDs. And there are 12 DVD sets. And that was a link to ONLY volume 5. (You can tell by the "/videos/volume5" in the URL.) The link to the entire list of DVDs is: http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastervideos.htm