TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: NOR*CAL Is Under Water

Some of you might have heard of some of the major flooding going on in Northern California. Some folks have lost a lot. While Karen and I have not lost anything… yet.

We live right near the Sacramento River and things were looking pretty scary the other day. We weren’t just in jeopardy of losing our new house but also the apartment with live in now. The last major storm is moving through now. But I think were going to be ok.

After I got off of work yesterday, I drove through over a foot of water for about a mile in Fairfield trying to get home. Hopefully I can make it in to work tonight.

radar_640x480.jpg.d81892683fbb63cc7a05e9aac6f58a43.jpg

The last storm is moving out pretty quick.

Threat640.jpg.2ad0b56532a7cc9c33cb39717c0076cc.jpg

Where we live now and the location of our new house.

IMGP2859.jpg.ed6569b95384f2f4f8508672206ddf2e.jpg

Looking up river towards downtown.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I flew out of Sacramento on the evening of December 29, and it was pretty scary to see Discovery Park underwater from I-5 (it's used as an "overflow," I understand). Sacramento has always been a flood-prone town. Glad to hear you're doing OK, Wally.

PhishyBrewer, do you have flood insurance as a part of your homeowners policy? Most people often Don't have it!

Thats why many people in New Orleans got screwed, they had homeowners insurance but they lacked flood coverage.

Though if you live below the watertable (In New Orleans) it's hard to believe you wouldn't want flood coverage. :shock:

You know what's odd? It was raining that hard down here too, flooding my street slightly, yet...

Knott's didn't close!

In fact, why didn't I go yesterday? No one would've been there! CRAP! I haven't been on a coaster in, what has it been now, like, a year. It sucks.

I'm going to Disneyland in February, I'll get my Indiana Jones credit finally... and my new Space credit...

And I'm going to SFMM on Tatsu's opening day.

And I may be going to Orlando for the first time in December... I'm getting a lot of coasters this year. I need it!

^Your in town???

I flew in and out of Sac for Christmas--the rest of my family is in California. Kind of a crazy, stressed-out holiday. Arrived in Sac on Dec. 21, where my older borther picked me up and took me to my parents' house in Kings Beach (Tahoe, North Shore). Then all the way to everybody's favorite holiday destination, Firebaugh (down Fresno way), to my sister's place for Christmas Day, back to Patterson (near Modesto) on Dec. 26 to visit some old friends, then up to Tahoe again. Finished up with dinner at California Fats in Old Sacramento on Dec. 29 before taking off from Sac Intl. for Vegas, where I caught a red-eye flight to Philly, then on to Norfolk. Whew!

If you ever find yourself in Firebaugh, the Firebaugh Riverfront Inn is actually a decent motel. Of course, I don't recommend that you ever find yourself in Firebaugh, but just in case . . .

PhishyBrewer, do you have flood insurance as a part of your homeowners policy? Most people often Don't have it!

Thats why many people in New Orleans got screwed, they had homeowners insurance but they lacked flood coverage.

Though if you live below the watertable (In New Orleans) it's hard to believe you wouldn't want flood coverage. :shock:

Luckily I had flood insurance, but it's still been a long process to repair everything.

After 4 months, I'll finally be moving back into my house this week.

I hope the water doesn't rise that much Phishy. Flooding is something I hope you guys won't have to deal with.

For my 1000th Post, I want to send you and Karen and Gavin some Good New Year's Thoughts and Safe Wintering with the flooding and all, Wally.

Not fair that you find a "house of your dreams," then get hit with this wet, rainy mess.

But - hold on, think dry thoughts, and yes, do get flood insurance if you can afford it. You never know...

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY!

This storm has completely made this weekend quite tough. Twice over yesterday, part of our roof sprung a leak. Twice over, in pouring rain I had to try to cover it up. Luckily, nothing was damaged. Once again, it began to dribble tonight. Talk about a fun weekend. To top things off, right after mission 1 of the roof, we got a warning of servere thunderstorms. Talk about perfect timing!

Where we live were required to have it. Just payed it for the year a matter of fact. $694 just for flood insurance. My home owners is $645.

That's gotta sting! I didn't realize you lived so close to the river. Have you ever suffered any flood damage before then?

i took my camera to the creek right next to my house. it probably wont overflow, but it is really high.

here it is.

another shot. it is coming close to the trail!

this is as far as i can go on the trail.

8 feet from the top to the ground. the trail is about a few feet deep.

here is a shot looking over the creek.

The creek near my parents' house in Patterson, Calif., flooded a few years back, but although the yard was filled with water, the inside of the house stayed dry. Mom was hosting a sorority meeting that day, and Dad had to put down one-by-six boards so the ladies could cross from the driveway to the house.

Anyway, my parents' yard was home to a fair number of feral cats, who sought shelter from the water on some rocks next to the living-room picture window. The cats, either because of sheer boredom or a sense that the end was near, started committed howling, fur-flying mortal sins in plain sight of Mom's meeting.

The ladies were mortified, and Dad chased the horny cats away. You just can't beat country living.