TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Little TR for Dollywood - 12/27/05

I'll cut straight to the coasters because I really didn't go to DW for anything else. I was with the wife and kids so time was had at Country Fair, and all I have to show for it is a credit on Veggietales Sideshow Spin, (Hey! It's a credit.)

Not a bad little kiddie at all. But the litmus test here was my 5 year old. She had no real emotion at all on it. She just wanted to hurry over and see her picture. On a five year olds scale...3/10

Next was Blazin' Fury. Now it's been almost nine years since I rode a coaster at DW, and this was all I had ever done there. Once again, on a 5 years olds scale this one was a 10/10. The theming was cool to her, and the drops were surprising enough to really get her attention. The oncoming train scene, as well as, the Bridge Out! parts were her favorite, (outside of getting splashed at the end). This was a re-ride for her, and mom got the honors on ride #2.

On my scale this was a 7/10. It is a fun little ride, and it seemed like a totally new ride to me, since the last time I rode it was my honeymoon, (9 years ago...once again), and coasters weren't exactely what was on my mind that trip. (Wink, wink!)

Tennessee Tornado

This ride was shorter than I thought it would be, but it made up for it in intensity. Once you rounded the bend over the lift hill it kicked in, and never let up until the station. Great inversions on the vertical loop and iron butterfly, they were actually smooth, which I was not expecting. I also liked the last curve into the station, but the dip right at the end was a killer. Overall though an 8/10

And now, the ride that eluded me the last time I was at DW...Thunderhead. I waited all day for this, and was hoping to ride it during the day, but I had to settle for an evening ride. This woodie was everything I had hoped for in a wood coaster, so far. Most might see a 40 degree temp. as being a very negative part, but once the ride started the adrenaline kicked in and I never even noticed it. The temp. kept dropping afterward and by 15 min. after my ride they had to shut it down. As for my ride...Awesome! Even with out of control feeling this woodie wasn't too bad at all. The speed, very sharp turns, and many of the headchoppers made this ride great. Near the back of the ride it was pitch black with only the stars in the sky...very cool. The fly-through station went by so fast it really had no affect on me in the dark, but that truly was the ONLY negative about the ride. This was a 10/10 for me.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there last week with my family. I got three great rides on Thunderhead. Awesome! Especially the back. Great air being pulled throught that twisted mess. This has become my favorite wood coaster. It was just awesome.

I also loved Blazing Fury. My son realy liked it as well. He was a little scared after the first drop but seemed to adjust to it alright. He told me right after the bridge out portion that he was ready for the lights to come back on again.

I had almost an opposite ride on the Tornado that you did. Very rough and very short. It's alright for an arrow looper. Just not a ride that I would cross the country to ride unlike TH.

I also rode The Vegietales coaster. My kids loved it. My 5 year old son came running down the ramp screaming "I found Jesus!" I think that would be a good indication that he enjoyed the ride.

Guy "It was ass cold after the sun set. I am looking forward to getting back there when it's summertime." Koepp

My wife didn't get to ride TH while we were there, and while we were watching Coaster Expedition '04 earlier she said she'd like to go back sometime this year...just so she could ride TH. We will make sure it's warmer ourselves, (even though it was almost 60 most of our visit). We would both go back to DW for TH, but I agree with you Guy that I wouldn't go just for TT.

Being that it is an Arrow Looper, I still think I was fortunate to get such smooth ride, I haven't heard many great things about it in the past. I rode it with the express purpose of getting the credit.

As "Theme" parks go though DW has become a favorite for me. The food is always great, the music is good, the park has always seemed clean, and well run, and I like how the employees play roles in a lot of areas of the park, ( I guess somewhat like Disney does, but not nearly on the same level).

I gotta agree with you on the employees. The nicest bunch of people I have ever met. Every interaction was a pleasant experience.

It was my first time there and I intend to go back. I think my only problem with it is the fact that it every path dead ends. There is no cut through from one end of the park to the other. It's very tiring to have to keep walking back and fourth between one valley and another.

Guy "Lovin' tha Dollywood." Koepp

Lucky guy! Sounds like you had an awesome time. Thunderhead looks the best woodie (followed by Hades), Tennesse Tornado looks pretty cool aswell. Reading this makes me wish I could do a bit more than Florida when I visit the USA.

I still cant belive there is a park dedicated to Dolly Parton. Oh well... at least it has Thunderhead.

Yeh, she's joked in the past that everything added to that park gets her personal stamp of approval, (not to mention, her name or likeness).

So if you don't like Dolly, DW's gonna be hard on ya, (unless you go for the coasters and food only...not so hard then!).

I visited DW this past August for the first time and I absolutely loved it!

It didn't get much better than Thunderhead and Blazing Fury!

TH was disappointing first thing in the AM, but when I rode it later, it was a completely different ride.

Blazing Fury was awesome. I loved the campiness to the ride, I ended up riding it like 10 times.

Tennessee Tornado was fun, surprisingly smooth for an Arrow.

Not smooth though was the VeggieTales coaster, rough and painful!

Mountain Slidewinder wins for the scariest ride ever, but I loved it. It also wins for longest uphill hike to reach an attraction.

Before I forget, did anyone ever get to ride Thunder Eagle @ Race World in Pigeon Forge. It's all gone now, I didn't get a picture, but it's just a plot of land behind the strip near Comedy Barn.

I was there for Christmas two years ago, and it was already SBNO, and since then it's moved to a ski resort in Canada. Don't know if it's ever been re-constructed, or not.

http://www.rcdb.com/ig606.htm?picture=6

I was just wondering what it was like? Awesome...Good...Terrible?

Wow...I have to chime in on this one. Dollywood is GREAT! It was either that or the fact that I had been to too many Six Flags parks recently with horrible customer service. I had forgotten what awesome customer service was about. I went back in October and the ride ops were friggin awesome. I rode TH about 10 times in a row and then I had to get off because I had some friends who wouldn't ride that were waiting for me... as I was leaving, the ride ops were begging me to stay. Just the nicest bunch of people. Even on TT... which was extremely smooth on my visit. Couldn't believe it but very relieved...it was a reride for me. The ride ops were having fun and teasing people. It all threw me off guard which was great. Six Flags really needs to take a lesson from ole Dolly.

Nick "Wow... first post on these boards. 'sigh' wasn't so bad" Constantino

Who knows what's going to happen under the Snyder-generation with Six Flags, but on my visits to SF parks, most employees I came in contact with really had no happiness about them. And that will lead to crappy service more times than not.

My point: Every time I go to DW, Holiday World, or Busch Gardens Williamsburg I see totally different attitudes. Employees seem to love there jobs at these parks. And while they can be really fun jobs, I have to believe they can be a real drag at times, and really stressful, (mainly for ride ops) at other times.

I believe the common denominator for all these parks, and others, is that the employers treat their employees with total respect in every way possible, and that makes them want to be happy, and do the best job they can. Plus, their happiness is genuine.

Sorry...just had to rant!