TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

East Coast Park Questions

I know it is early, but I saw other posts asking about parks people will go to in 2006.

Unless something comes up, I will be going on a large east coast trip next year. What I want to know is stuff like: do they have fastlane, what rides to ride, crowds, etc. I think I will be going in June if that helps anyone.

Parks to visit:

SFGADV

Wyandot Lake

La Ronde

Great Escape

SFDL

Maybe PCW ( I have to get on honor roll, or almost make it.)

Maybe Kennywood (same reason as above)

Probably SFNE

I know I should ride rides like:S:ROS, Nitro, and ET, but what other things should I ride?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll try to help where I can:

SFGADV

They have Q-bots available, check the lo-q site for pricing.

The lines can get pretty bad, even on seemingly "calm" days. I'd imagine in June a Q-bot would be neccessary if you want to do everything in one day. It will probably have a long line but try to ride Chiller - it's sweeter than it looks 8)

SFDL

No lo-q but that's not something to worry about. Superman was a 15 minute wait this past June, and the boomerang is always the longest wait for me at DL (yusually 30-45 mins). The SLC is really popular too

Maybe PCW

Horrendous lines!! Seriously, this park had huge attendance, be prepared to wait well over an hour for half of the coasters and a good 45+ minutes for the top-notch flats. Do not miss Shockwave, the park's Top Scan. The Jump squared and the Mondial Pendulum are pretty sweet too... no lo-q

If you are doing one of these parks, consider doing Martin's Fantasy Island. Silver Comet is EXCELLENT and you can easily do Darien Lake's 5 coasters + half of theri flats by 4PM and head up to MFI and catch the after 5 PM rate, which is something like $8 :shock: MFI also has about a dozen flats and a neat little Zamperla Mouse.

Probably SFNE

Lines were't too bad in July, perhaps an hour for Superman and 45 mins for Pandemonium and the rest of the coasters. If you like hot food, try the buffalo chicken strips just to the right inside the park... they are pretty good and spicy They have lo-q and I think that passholders get either a really good discount or maybe even free, I'm not sure, but the line was super long for the q-bots.

both Darien Lake and SFNE have very good in-park waterparks IMHO, so that's always an option. Have fun!!

GO TO MARTIN'S FANTASY ISLAND AND RIDE THE SILVER COMET.

go after 5 pm, it's cheaper that way. you can go on your way from sfdl to pcw or vice versa.

i looove the silver comet!!! i think it is very under-rated... well not really, just nobody goes on it because they've never heard of Martin's Fantasy Island! I live half a mile away from it and worked as a ride op there for two years. It's very smooth and intense. There is no place to catch your breath until you hit the brake run!

When are you going... maybe i'll runinto you at one of the parks!

Maybe PCW

Horrendous lines!! Seriously, this park had huge attendance, be prepared to wait well over an hour for half of the coasters and a good 45+ minutes for the top-notch flats. Do not miss Shockwave, the park's Top Scan. The Jump squared and the Mondial Pendulum are pretty sweet too... no lo-q

nope... i was there at the end of july last year and the longest line i waited in was 15 minutes! and that was for scooby doo's haunted mansion! try to go on a weekday... and on a rainy day if possible! that's what did it for us! we went on a tuesday and it was raining on and off all day 8)

I seriously would only budget about 4 hours for SFDL, and that's if it's crowded. The park only has one coaster that you'd want to reride, and compared to SFNE's SROS it's not that amazing.

It was also VERY busy when we were at PCW. I believe someone told me that it has insane attendance due to the park being in Canada where there's nothing to do! Seriously, get there early, ride the low capacity stuff, leave if it gets unbearable then go back before closing.

sfne and sgadv avoid using a Saturday at either.

i would put sfne on over tge.

tge my best piece of advise is to ride nightmare if its open right at opening. to hurry up and get to it. biggest reason is with its 3 car operation having 20 or more people in front of you can make for a long wait. comet moves the crowd well. tge is all about the kids though, most of the rides are mild.

la ronde is a great park, at first opening i would go right to le monstre and get both sides done. and as its just passed the boomerang you should lose most of the opening crowd. even though its small dragon has a cool theme to it. a definite must ride. this park has two entrance gates, to really be ahead of the line try to go for the smaller entrance that's near the dragon.

i would consider a quick stop at lake compounce since your gonna be in the neighborhood, at sfne boulder-dash is probably one of the best coasters in the north east. it is the top on my list. well worth the 1 hr detour from sfne.

We are only going to SF parks since we will get a season pass. We might go to PCW and KW if I do well in school. This trip will not be like Robb and Elissa's where we just go to parks. We will go to cities and other stuff so the rest of my family can enjoy things. I think I could talk my sister in to MFI, but I doubt my parents would want to stop.

We will probably go there, but it depends on how much time we have. It it really does cost $8 to get in to MFI later in the day, we might stop there. As much as I would love to go to smaller parks along with the large parks, it's not going to happen.

Parks to visit:

SFGADV

Wyandot Lake

La Ronde

Great Escape

SFDL

Maybe PCW ( I have to get on honor roll, or almost make it.)

Maybe Kennywood (same reason as above)

Probably SFNE

You're not doing all those parks on one trip, are ya? I mean, unless you have a lot of money, time, and patience, this trip you've scheduled sounds unreasonable. Those parks are pretty far apart. Anyway, here's my take on the parks:

SFGADv: I hate this park. It's always disgustingly crowded when I go, rides are closed, operations are less-than-stellar, etc. I didn't even go ride Kingda Ka this year because I didn't want to go to that park. Next year, I'm gonna have to go because of the new woodie. But, your mileage may vary.

Wyandot Lake: Why? The only real ride of interest is a kiddie wood coaster. Is that worth the admission price? That's your decision.

La Ronde: Personally, I always wanted to go up there, but that's the problem....it's very "up there". We were gonna go from PCW to La Ronde, but we decided it was too far away from the direction we were heading. I still would love to go one day, seeing as they have a neat collection of coasters and rides.

The Great Escape: If you can this year, get to TGE! It's awesome. But, it looks like it's heading in the wrong direction. It's may well be the next dumpy Six Flags park. They took out the best section of their world-famous Comet, and they're supposed to be reprofiling more this winter! Plus, they're adding and SLC this winter. Small, Charm-Filled Park + SLC = Beginning of Trouble (IMO). But, yeah, get there. The park is gorgeous. The steel coasters are pretty standard, but theyre themed nicely.

SFDL: Dude, I was ready to leave Darien after like 2 hours. I caught Superman on a sluggish day. Predator was great, in the front seat only. The SLC was rough, I skipped the Boomerang. Oh! Viper was cool! I loved that. The park was sorta blah and ugly. My vote? Skip it!

PCW: A beautiful park that gets insanely crowded. All of the coasters are either clones or they just plain suck. The flat rides are good, however. Skip it, unless you wanna boost your coaster count.

Kennywood: KW is like my lovechild. I make the 4 hour drive each year cuz the park is so charming. It has one of my #1 steelies, three um, interesting woodies, a spinning mouse in the dark with killer theming, a bunch of flat rides, a 250 ft Giant Drop. It's just a bomb-ass park.

SFNE: I actually really like this park (despite the fact that they f-ed up my #1 woodie!). It's themed great, there are lots of great coasters and rides. My only beef with SFNE is how it can get SO crowded!

If you're up in that region, and you like woodies, you must hit Lake Compounce. Boulder Dash (especially at night!) is outrageous.

Niiicolaaah said that you should go to MFI. I gotta disagree. The Silver Comet is pretty lame, IMO. The rest of the park is kept up, but it still feels like a dump to me. I thought it was a waste of time personally.

Wow, sorry about the length of this post. I hope it helped!

PS. Here are some pictures I took at TGE

tge-comet4.jpg.5d41e24ceb6bfe75c55ac88974ec1047.jpg

tge-boomer3.jpg.ae8cf7e369a38308c0e87cd3608301f6.jpg

tge-path1.jpg.086ef3ddf8f33cd96b9aea098e410aa4.jpg

tge-pond.jpg.3a15d7193b980867d4dd2f3c9c5b416c.jpg

A few thoughts on a few parks:

I like Great Adventure a lot, but sometimes ride closures can lead to disappointment for those who travel long distances. It's a very nice park, sorta the Cedar Point of the East in terms of its scale. Lots of trees and fantastic coasters. Go on a weekday.

Do not miss Kennywood. Phantom's Revenge does not get the notice it deserves! It's seriously one of the best, most aggressive steel coasters anywhere. I liken it to a distilled SFNE Superman--a shorter ride, but just as (if not more) potent. The rapid-fire ending is unbelievable. The rest of the park is great as well, and you must stay til after dark. It lights up real nice.

If you have a Six Flags season pass, get the QBot at SFNE, as they have in the past offered some very good deals to passholders. I really enjoyed my use of the QBot there, and it seems like they underestimate the waits on those things, so a Gold one may not be necessary.

Enjoy the trip!

We are going to most of the parks I listed. The ones we might not go to are PCW, SFNE, and KW. PCW and KW will be if my grades are good, and SFNE is if we have time. We will get a SF season pass, so that's why we will be hitting all SF parks with the exception of KW and PCW.

Martin's Fantasy Island is certianly worth the $8. Actually the night time special was $6.95 when I went in 2004. The Silver Comet is a very good coaster at worst (personally I think it's great). In my 4 hours in the park I got at least 10 rides on the Silver Comet, plus rides on a couple of flats. They also have a couple of hokie Wild West Shootouts. And now they got a spinning mouse. You can't go wrong for $8.

FYI - there is also a nightime special for less than $15 (I can't remember the exact price) at SeaBreeze which is in Rochester, NY.

I was not impressed with the coasters at LaRonde but they have a unique selection of flats. If you go to LaRonde they can not scan your season pass. You will have to go to a window to the left of the gates and show them your pass, they will then write down your name and gave you a paper ticket that can be scanned.

I agree with everyone who said the lines at PCW were incredibly long. There were two or three times I went this year where I got there and left after riding one thing. It doesn't help that their ride ops seem to get slower and slower every year. It used to be that even if the Vortex queue was completely full, you'd only wait about half an hour, now you'll wait half an hour if the line gets to the bottom of the stairs. Your best bet is to go on a weekday and get there early. I personally wouldn't even bother going on a weekend.

before i would do mfi i would do lake compounce. i think you will enjoy lc and sfne a lot more then sfdl. superman at sfne is the best ride of steal out their. and my #2 steal coaster, sorry launch on xelorator is unbeatable with the airtime on the hill and the nice G's in the turns.

and boulder dash is my #1 coaster anywhere. riding this thing at night makes you think about where your going since you can not see. the natural theme of the mountain side blows all the Disney fake mountains away.

Park Trips and I are suggesting MFI because it is close to SFDL and the dude is on a strict budget. He has stated that more than likely it will be only SF parks since he is buying a pass. MFI is also so close to Niagara Falls and if his family is doing more than just amusement parks maybe he can talk them into an extra park for little extra money and time.

Park Trips and I are suggesting MFI because it is close to SFDL and the dude is on a strict budget. He has stated that more than likely it will be only SF parks since he is buying a pass...

.. and since Lake compounce is about 3-4 times as much that makes it even more appealing to me..

Q-bot: http://lo-qusa.com/

Waterparks (from my knowledge)

Darien Lake - pretty good, could use some more size (next year..?)

New England - very good in-park waterpark. A few modern additions and a very nice and clean atmosphere

MFI - a joke. Probably two or three slides and a wave pool. Their Log Flume, however, looks pathetic but everyone I saw getting off was SOAKED so look into that..

Great Adventure will need a day.

If you do La Ronde you will need a day partially because of the transit issues (its kinda out of the way)

Darien Lake - could be done in the same day as Martin's Fantasy Island. If you arrive at opening you can do all the coasters before noon, enjoy the waterpark or flats in the afternoon and drive over to MFI (30-45 mins) at 5PM and get their cheap deal. It can easily be done in an evening. If you want to space things out a bit more, plan a day at Darien Lake and then visit the Niagara Falls area in the AM/early afternoon on the next day and then visit Martin's after 5 that evening. Martin's is like 20 minutes from the niagara Falls park.

Canada's Wonderland - all day if you want to do most of the park. Make sure to check out their flats if you care to, there are some really neat ones up there

That's all I can help you with...