TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

I'm going to BGW and PKD in 2006...

Hi guys, I'm going to BGW next year and I know I won't have any trouble hitting all the coasters cause there are only four. However, I was wondering if there are any rides/attractions I should go out of my way to check out? I've never been there, but I am very excited to go because I've heard how beautiful it is there. And I am excited to ride Alpengeist!

I am also going to PKD on that same trip. I have been to PKD before but only got to ride Anaconda, Grizzly, Hurler, and FoF. I will be spending a whole day there, so I will hopefully be able to ride Avalanche (never been on a bobsled before!), Volcano, and Hypersonic. Do Volcano and Hypersonic have long lines usually? Which should I make a beeline to at the beginning of the day? Any more tips for PKD?

Thanks in advance,

Nicole

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I went to PKD a couple of years back the longest I had to wait for anything was like 20-30 minutes for Hypersonic/Volcano (weekday). It seemed like most of the people there went straight to Volcano at opening so I went to FOF and Anaconda first. Hypersonic had signs saying it would open at 1, but it opened at 12 and I had maybe a 5 minute wait.

At BGW I loved Escape from Pompeii. The train ride around the park and the river cruises were also fun. The ride that I didn't really like was the log flume ( It felt like you were hitting a speed bump every few seconds.)

Have a great trip!

Well at BGW You should Hit Alpengiest i thik it is one of the best inverts ever.

Plus you should go on Curce Of Darcasle [i think thats how you spell it]

I have dark rides ut this is a really sweet one.

And at PKD you should ride

Volcano TBC

Hypersonic XLC

Drop Zone

And Beast

Well at BGW You should Hit Alpengiest i thik it is one of the best inverts ever.

Volcano TBC

Hypersonic XLC

Drop Zone

And Beast

Actually, it is Curse of DarKastle and The Beast is not at PKD but Paramount's Kings Island!

Since I worked at BGW for 4 years in Entertainment, I am partial to the shows, so I would suggest taking in one or more once you get your fill of the coasters. Plus, if you are going in the middle of summer, it can get pretty hot in Virginia.

I would also suggest doing Hypersonic first since it seems to have the lowest capacity. When I went this summer, we did Hypersonic, then Richochet, and Hurler since they are all very near each other. Volcano's line also moved rather quickly, and we were able to get 2 rides on it.

Volcano TBC

Hypersonic XLC

Drop Zone

And Beast

Actually, it is Curse of DarKastle and The Beast is not at PKD but Paramount's Kings Island!

Since I worked at BGW for 4 years in Entertainment, I am partial to the shows, so I would suggest taking in one or more once you get your fill of the coasters. Plus, if you are going in the middle of summer, it can get pretty hot in Virginia.

I would also suggest doing Hypersonic first since it seems to have the lowest capacity. When I went this summer, we did Hypersonic, then Richochet, and Hurler since they are all very near each other. Volcano's line also moved rather quickly, and we were able to get 2 rides on it.

I would suggest skipping PKD and spend 2 days at BGW..but that's just me:)

From my past experiences I would say getting to XLC or Volcano first is a must to avoid long waits. Drop Zone is awesome, you need to ride that. Also, Rebel Yell Backwards can be very fun if the ride ops have them racing. I haven't been to the waterpark recently, but it doesn't look that great. Maybe IJST will be good, but from the other ones I wouldn't count on it.

BGW is a great park, even with the small amount of coasters, they are all superb, and the theming alone makes a visit worth it. Try to ride DarKastle if you can, the lines were too long when I went, though Apollo's Chariot was a walk on.

I live in the UK and visited these 2 parks in peak-times this summer-- however, our 'park strategies' worked pretty well!

BGW- as you said, it's fairly easy to hit the 4 coasters. Make sure you get to Curse of Darkastle first- this ride is popular with everybody and quickly gets 1hr+ lines. Afterwards, you can hit off some of the rides toward the back of the park, with minimal waits (eg Alpengeist, Big Bad Wolf).

The water rides all had fairly big waits as it was a hot day-- make sure you hit Pompeii though, it's fun. Apollo's Chariot has great capacity, so you'll have no problems there. BGW doesn't have a lot of attractions, so there aren't really any 'hidden gems'. The essentials are the 4 coasters, Darkastle and Pompeii!

PKD - BEST TIP EVER: Get to Hypersonic XLC first! It's essential! This thing has a crap capacity, but is very popular, so hit this first. Arrive early and be on the first train or two. Personally, I didn't think HXLC was great, but I'm glad I did it; but get there first! Everyone who's gone to the back of the park will hit H:XLC, so the three woodies, Shockwave, Ricochet, Drop Zone etc all have tiny waits. Hit all of these before going to the front of the park.

Unfortunately, you will have to wait for VolcanoTBC, but the ride is well-worth the wait-- likewise, wait extra for the front seats- they make the ride much more fun. Hit off all the remaining coasters and flats and do any rerides. Scooby-Doo's coaster and dark ride are often missed, but are q fun! The Eiffel Tower also provides good views of the park!

Obviously, next year, Italian Job will be there-- this most likely will have long waits, and I don't know how to alter your park strategy accordingly. My advice is if you want to hit H:XLC and the other coasters at the back of the park, then go to H:XLC FIRST. You WILL have to wait for Volcano later, but Volcano is worth the wait!

Essential rides to hit: H:XLC (unique coaster), Volcano, Drop Zone-- and I enjoyed all the woodies.

It also depend big time on when exactly you're going. If you plan on going in the summer during the week, the parks should be a lot less crowded. As others have said, at BGW you should really ride Curse of DarKastle first. Afterwards, head back to Alpengeist and then work your way around to Apollo. Other things you may want to consider riding are the log flume, train, and Escape from Pompeii.

At PKD, definitely head to Hypersonic first. Then move on to Volcano, back to Italian Job, and then Drop Zone. Those will be the rides with the longest waits. Grizzly shouldn't have a very long line because no one can find the entrance! Other things besides the coasters to do are the Scooby Doo dark ride, log flume, flying scooters, and the Treasure Cave (tilt house)

Yes it does depend on when you are going, I go about every other day during the summer months, so i get my share of coasters in.

Quote: DerekRx

Grizzly shouldn't have a very long line because no one can find the entrance!

even though people can't find the entrance, they usually only run one train, so it sometimes takes a while.

But at PKD you will want to head straight to H:XLC! I have the privilege of having a gold season pass so they let you in early with one, i went to Hypersonic and i saw all the people rushing toward the ride! Definitely run! And Volcano will also have long line usually no matter what day, so head to that next. Everything else will have short lines.

BGW: Usually a very light crowd, but head for DarKastle first(lines can get 1hr+) and ride this. It's not as good as spider man but very fun nonetheless. Then everything else towards the back of the park is usually dead. Sometime Alpengeist can be somewhat hard to find, because you either walk all the way around the park or you find it there. The entrance in just in the middle of a wall.

Most of the tips for PKD have been mentioned, so I'll only talk about BGW.

The first thing to remember is that the park opens sections at different times. England, Ireland, France and parts of Germany open with the park at 10 am, with Italy opening at 10:30 and the other part of Germany(BBW) opening at 11:00. I would bypass Lochness and head to Ireland. (Lochness will have it's longest line in the morning) Go through Ireland toward France and make a left to the bridge. Walk under Alpengeist and make a left toward Oktoberfest. You will see Darkkastle, ride that first. You should be able to ride it twice with no wait. (as long as it's open on time ) Then back track and ride Alpengeist. If you want, hit the log Flume in France as you are right there.(You just have to go back over the bridge and make a left) I know it's alot of back and forth, but it should be 11:00 by now. Head back past Darkkastle and turn left, you will see BBW down a little ways to your right. Try and ride this early because it usually has the second longest line in the park. Then head over the river toward Italy and ride Apollo's Chariot. This is the quickest moving line, so even if the line looks semi-long, it moves quick. The rapids ride is right there, so you can ride that if you want. Now keep going in the counter clockwise direction toward Pompeii, then after that Lochness. If everything goes right, you should be able to hit every major ride by 1 pm. I've used this combo many times this year with much success. Of course, this is only a suggestion and not set in stone. Enjoy, it's really a good park.

Thanks everybody!! I'll be sure to head to hypersonic first when at pkd...

I won't be devastated if i can't ride italian job, drop zone, or scooby doo, as Paramount Canada's Wonderland has all three and I've already ridden them. although i almost love drop towers more than i love coasters :shock:

Whoever said the thing about people not being able to find grizzly... that's so funny because back in 1998 I visited the park for 4 hours during a busy trip and managed to find FOF (which I loved), Anaconda (which was ok), Hurler (which was boring), and Grizzly (which was ok)! I couldn't find avalanche to save my life though... lol. (imagines self on RCT... "I can't find Avalanche!") I did get to watch Volcano being built which was cool.

and woohoo bgw! i get to ride the ride fabio got hit in the face with a bird on... darkastle i could probably take or leave, but i will try to find it.

Yay!

I'm going in june after school lets out btw... and probably on a weekday.

After school lets out because both me and the friend I'm visiting are teachers!

^ yes, I believe the station is still back there. They just don't acknowledge Drachen Fire.

They use it for "Sleepless Hollow Manor" during Howl-o-Scream. The barn is even still standing--just no track.

I rather liked Tomb Raider, too, and I'm not big on spinny rides.

I second all recommendations to ride DarKastle first thing--it's a lot of fun, but the lines could become unmanageable by noon (if the line starts at the Kastle gate, the wait is about an hour). And Nessie is a safe bet for late in the day.

As for PKD, yet, go for Hypersonic first, then Volcano (which could develop hideous lines later in the day because the trains only seat two across, instead of the now customary four). The woodies you can take in at your leisure--usually not much of a wait at all (even if only one train is running), unless you want the very front.