TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Whats The Weather Like Where You Live?

• 4 weeks later...

Had a lake effect snow warning this weekend, but so far we haven't received the 7-14" of snow that they had forecasted. Instead we have only received a dusting...just enough to cover the ground.

Temp currently stands at a very frigid 22 degrees though!

So it was all of a 10 degrees F here yesterday. I have to say that I always lol at "high 70s is cold!" Now, I understand that the human body will adjust it's "comfortable" temperature range depending on what climate you live in, but I still can't help but post this. Basically we northerners love to poke fun at the southerners' perceptions of "cold", so hopefully you read it to get a laugh out of it. (P.S. this is actually pretty accurate down to about 0, except that we close the windows way before that, then it takes a nose-dive into silly-ness.)

At 65 degrees, Arizonans turn on the heat. People in Minnesota plant gardens.

At 60, Californians shiver uncontrollably. People in Minnesota sunbathe.

At 50, Italian & English cars won't start. People in Minnesota drive with the windows down..

At 40, Georgians don coats, thermal underwear, gloves, wool hats. People in Minnesota throw on a flannel shirt.

At 35, New York landlords finally turn up the heat. People in Minnesota have the last cookout before it gets cold.

At 20, People in Miami all die. Minnesotans close their windows.

At 0, Californians fly away to Mexico . People in Minnesota get out their winter coats.

At 10 below zero, Hollywood disintegrates. The Girl Scouts in Minnesota are selling cookies door to door.

At 20 below, Washington DC runs out of hot air. (Ya think? Nah.). People in Minnesota let their dogs sleep indoors.

At 30 below, Santa Claus abandons the North Pole. Minnesotans get upset because they can't start the snowmobile.

At 40 below, ALL atomic motion stops. People in Minnesota start saying..."Cold enough for ya, eh?"

At 50 below, hell freezes over. Minnesota public schools will open 2 hours late.

^ That's pretty similar to...

"You know you're from Buffalo when...."

* You don't let a blinding snowstorm stop you from driving 70 MPH down the Thruway during rush hour.

* You believe that snow on Halloween is good because it's bound to warm up in November (Mom's will say

you need the first freeze for Indian Summer).

* You don't put away the winter clothes, they stay in the front closet year round.

* You have more than one shovel in your garage.

* Driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled with snow.

* You know all 4 seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter, construction.

* You understand the term 'lake effect snow'

* You drink an ice cold Labatts while you are plowing out your driveway

* You drink an ice cold Labatts while hanging Christmas lights in a blizzard (okay, those last two I added to the list! )

Aaaannnnnnd this would be our 2013 Thanksgiving forecast for Western NY....

Buffalo, NY

Tue, Nov 26, 2013, 4:03 PM EST

WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 AM EST THURSDAY...

* LOCATIONS... WYOMING... CHAUTAUQUA... CATTARAGUS AND SOUTHERN ERIE COUNTIES.

* TIMING... THROUGH OVERNIGHT WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

* HAZARDS... HEAVY SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS... SNOW ACCUMULATING AN INCH OR LESS THIS AFTERNOON... 4 TO 8 INCHES TONIGHT... 1 TO 3 INCHES WEDNESDAY... AND 1 TO 3 INCHES WEDNESDAY NIGHT. ICE ACCUMULATING UP TO ONE TENTH OF AN INCH TONIGHT.

* WINDS... NORTHWEST 15 TO 25 MPH WEDNESDAY PRODUCING BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW.

* IMPACTS... HEAVY SNOW WILL RESULT IN VERY DIFFICULT THANKSGIVING HOLIDAY TRAVEL WITH SNOW COVERED AND SLIPPERY ROADS. THE HEAVY WET NATURE OF THE SNOW MAY RESULT IN ISOLATED POWER OUTAGES.

Edit: 11/27/13 - still snowing here. Got close to a foot of snow and it's still coming down. Relatives from Maine cancelled their trip out so we're flying solo for Thanksgiving this year. All I know is that I am REALLY glad that I am done with work for the rest of the week!

Took these pictures around 4:20 PM...

003.JPG.83676a5ab7527485c8d87ca28025931f.JPG

Keep in mind that it's not even winter yet. We're just getting started here in WNY!

004.JPG.9afad497d093cf8593c1f5276e3c34e9.JPG

Got the big Christmas balls & bell up....yep, I said Christmas balls!

005.JPG.1f0c5b7e186620706128b96f6e56d597.JPG

Happy Thanksgiving TPR!

We've had a pretty warm winter so far this year, but things are about to change. It's been a really nice 50-60, with lows of about 35 for the past few weeks! This Tuesday, however, the cold starts. High of 25 and a low of 5 on Thursday! Awesome!

Well it's not all that cold at the moment (32 F) but very snowy. We received roughly 20" of snow, give or take a few inches, between Monday and Tuesday. Currently having a blizzard and are scheduled to get up to 18" today. All said and done we should be up to almost 40" by the end of the night. Oh, and here's a fun shot of the radar as of 10:35 am, central time.

572803726_SnowStormDec4201310_45am.PNG.c768e45c996a46fff1dccde76c9f8f5e.PNG

A blizzard in the northern mid-west.

Melbourne, FL here.

So I went out for a run this morning thinking I would be OK, but the 80-ish degree heat wasn't much fun. Now I'm originally from NYC, so this whole 80 Degrees in December thing is quite freaky.

I do hope all TPR members in those areas affected by the winter storms are safe though!