TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

PortAventura Discussion Thread

^That doesn't change what I said about negative g forces making the vertical slide impossible

This is exactly the problem, you're getting things confused.

Nobody said anything about a "vertical slide," all it mentions is a point during the drop that is going to be ninety degrees. It's advertising language getting the best of you.

Here is the same 90 degree image which you had placed in your head(which I posted earlier), now modified with a slide-in.

Doesn't look like a 90 degree angle, does it? Well it is!

I'm not saying the drop is actually going to have that angle, or that the dimensions are similar. All I'm saying is I don't think it's as impossible as you're making it out to be. You just have to think of it differently than the roller coasters you're used to seeing with a 90 degree drop that pulls you out of your seat. Its 2 different things.

If you try to do hit 90 degrees half way through the slide I'd imagine you'd have to have a long transition into it in order to keep people from being ejected.

It's not like you are being launched off the top. Besides, if it's an enclosed body slide, you won't be ejected. But, holy crap. A vertical waterslide taller than Mantis!

^ Then just make the transition into and out of 90* real gradual.

As with a roller coaster, the bigger, faster, steeper, the longer the transitions are.

I don't really see a problem with a 90* drop as long as they make it gradual enough to prevent people from slamming head first into the top of the tube.

I dont know the exact angle of declination that one of the slides at the water park at SFNE has, but as you are descending, it hits somewhere near vertical and is enclosed, essentially a tube until you flatten out slowly (though not in velocity as evidenced by me skipping to the end of the break pool and beyond LOL that was funny) and then hit a break pool that goes on for quite a while. If it is enclosed, I could easily see a true vert water slide: like a miniaturized Angel Falls, in a way.

Scott

The biggest water slide I have been on is in Aqualand in Andalucia, Spain which has a (near) vertical section, albeit being very short. Basically, you lower yourself into the slide, let go, and whooosh... you hit the splash pool at the end. It's an awesome slide, but not that high compared to this (well, about half the height of the new proposed slide).

If the new slide is similar shape to this, but with longer vertical, or near vertical section, then it must be a cool ride!

Matty

AQT_kamikaze_2.jpg.3a94b351b016b92b72aa690e61c5ca93.jpg

Kamikaze, a (near) vertical water slide

^HOly #@$%!!! That looks like the waterslides at the local waterpark, only taller and steeper!

The ones over here give a wedgie from hell, I can't imagine how painful thos emust be!

By following the instructions (crossing legs tightly) you will not allow a channel of water to go between your legs, and thus minimize the chance of a painful wedgie. For sure, you get a wedgie, but its not that bad when compared to someone not following the instructions which, from what I have seen, is extremely painful

Matty

^HOly #@$%!!! That looks like the waterslides at the local waterpark, only taller and steeper!

The ones over here give a wedgie from hell, I can't imagine how painful thos emust be!

By following the instructions (crossing legs tightly) you will not allow a channel of water to go between your legs, and thus minimize the chance of a painful wedgie. For sure, you get a wedgie, but its not that bad when compared to someone not following the instructions which, from what I have seen, is extremely painful

Matty

It's not the wedge factor that kills me on these slides, it's the battering I get from the high-speed water on my back. If I'm the least bit sunburned, I avoid these things like the plague... after getting up at the bottom, my back looks like I just got flogged or something.

CocaColaBoy wrote in regards of wedgies from H,E, (double hockey sticks) :

By following the instructions (crossing legs tightly) you will not allow a channel of water to go between your legs, and thus minimize the chance of a painful wedgie.

Not only that, it also prevents getting your (*ahem*) "family jewels" wacked hard, like someone kicked you in the groin (believe me, I had that happen to me before and I had to be rescued - don't you know how embarrassing it is to have a lifeguard rescue you because of a terrible pain between your legs and you can't leave the pool).

As for the attraction itself, I think it would be neat design, but only one waterslide? C'mon, a tower that size can & should house several waterslides, but from a lower starting point, so the riders can work themselves up to tackle the big one, if they so desire.

• 2 months later...

Well HK has pulled a SFKK. (Almost) This one has a happy ending. More info HERE!

Well its good thing this tower was a newer version with tension sensors for the computer E-stopped itself. Otherwise it really would have been bad.

Wow. It does make me wonder what's the future of these rides. I wonder if stronger cable would help or if they added these sensors to the older models. That's if they don't have them added already.