TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

PortAventura Discussion Thread

Excellent. Another reason to visit Spain and Port Aventura in particular. Sounds like this could be an interesting coaster although only time will tell.

I think it's a common misconception that Intamins are smooth. I've been on a bunch that rattled like crazy. I've had one or two painful head-banging rides on Volcano (yep, Volcano), Colossus at Thorpe was not really smooth, even opening year.

I last rode Colossus at Thorpe park just a few weeks ago and I would have to say that it was easily one of my roughest coaster rides of the year. Whether this is down to the manufacturer or Thorpe Park is open for discussion. The roughness was at least on a par with Gouderix at Parc Asterix.

PS. Does anyone else besides me like the term "Rocket Coaster" more than "Accelerator"?

I agree. Rocket Coaster sounds so much better than Accelerator

Hmmm... building on the Mediterranean Lake are they? That sounds like an awful idea to me. That area is very nice and peaceful to enter and exit the park via, but now with such a big Rocket there it'll look crowded. Sounds like a Rita situation to me.

I last rode Colossus at Thorpe park just a few weeks ago and I would have to say that it was easily one of my roughest coaster rides of the year. Whether this is down to the manufacturer or Thorpe Park is open for discussion. The roughness was at least on a par with Gouderix at Parc Asterix.

I thought Colossus was quite bad when I rode it this summer. I was planning to ride with my arms up, but there was a nice 'bang' entering the turn after the lifthill so I decided to hold on instead. Im very glad I did that because it was rattling like crazy. And hitting the very hard restraints with your ears is not comfortable.

Hah! Knew I was right. Wing Walker.

Looks like they've changed the design a bit though. Seats supported from above rather than underneath. Although it does seem to still run on non-inverted track.

Also, no three seats rows like the old images I'd seen! Thank god.

Cerberus

• 5 months later...
Are there no signs at Port Aventura of this ride yet?

There hasn't been any news about this ride for a long time now...

So, here you are some pictures...

Terrain is currently being tested and groundwork should begin soon...

Fencing all around the area the ride is supposed to be built...

Pics from PA-Community.com

If you want updates and details from this coaster, I'll post photos and information regularly after all... it's my homepark!

CoasterCrazy writes:

I think it's a common misconception that Intamins are smooth. I've been on a bunch that rattled like crazy. I've had one or two painful head-banging rides on Volcano (yep, Volcano), Colossus at Thorpe was not really smooth, even opening year. The Supermen hypercoasters occassionally shake. Many people complain that StormRunner hurts their necks. Kingda Ka in the back of the train, people have said it shakes so much, it feel's like it's going to bust apart. Etc.

[/end nerd]

I have to agree with you on this one. I love Intamin rides, but I don't consider them smooth. B&M's are smooth. I've had my head bashed on Storm Runner over and over. Intamins break, bash heads, shake and rattle like many other manufacturers rides. They're definitely a good company, but probably have a much better reputation than they deserve. With that said, I still can't wait to get on El Toro.

I think it's a common misconception that Intamins are smooth. I've been on a bunch that rattled like crazy.

Xcelerator back in January wasn't rough, but it had a pretty nice vibration/ricketing (it's a little hard to precisely explain) action. It wasn't enough to make the ride bad, but it felt like it was close to that point. Still a pretty nice ride, though.

-Bryan "I take it over TTD" Wood

One of the reasons why I suspect the "roughness" on the Intamin rides (coasters) the actually the design of the wheel carrier units. While some "play" movement is needed, the actual design itself actually tends to shift towards the riders as mentioned before-shake, rattle-n-roll. This "play" also is causing many more wheel replacements from the friction generated and decreasing the overall life.

Although the chassis and trains are within safety guidelines, I wish they would take a year or so and just focus on the axles/wheel carriers and I bet those rides then would become smooth-as-glass. I think the rattle on some of the hypercoasters is cause by the gap within the carrier unit itself (where it mounts near the bearing cup). I've "tried" to watch how the carrier moves when riding (and offride) and it has quite a bit of play than the other mfg.

I'm actually not sure why this design is incorporated or the purpose it solves, except make more money for the company in selling.....more wheels/bearings...lol

Two things...

TPR will now definitely be going to Spain in 2007!!!!!

I have always stressed it, but this is just another confirmation of the "Intamin always does bulk deals" with parks. So many parks seem to get almost a "package" deal with Intamin over a 5 year span. This is awesome!

:o Elissa! That's a great chance to ride your MOST FAVORITE ride of all time - TARANTULA!!!

Anyways, the new coaster sounds like it'll be pretty cool. I'll probably just be looking at pictures and videos of it since I most likely won't go to Spain for now.

So its clearly an Inverted coaster, but RCDB has it as a 'sit down' coaster.

-Martyn

They probably have it as "Sit down" because the car still travels on the top of the track.

So... here you are the VIDEO you ALL were waiting for...

Project Cisne - aka PortAventura's 2007 Coaster video!

Click here!

This is NOT the final layout. This is a video-render to see how the coaster would look like with the Wing-Walker trains on it. You can see it's quite huge and that this kind of train is capable of performing inversions... so we shall see!

Besides, there will be themeing around the ride, so DO NOT take in account the video... it's just to get a general idea of the ride.

By the way... the project has been named: PROJECT CISNE

And there have been spotted some groundwork around the area of the coaster... expect to see some stuff soon!

I'll bring some photos for you