TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

PortAventura Discussion Thread

It's just so they make money from the additional entrance fee, plus I wonder if a lot has got to do with how much money Ferrari want from the priviledge of using their name/branding. Maybe it was the only commercially viable way of doing it. If you look at it as a park it is very small although I'm not sure what other rides there are in there. I hope it isn't too expensive as I don't want it to feel like the launched coaster is basically an upcharge ride

Is Intamin ditching the hydraulic launch system altogether?

The last one built was Formula Rossa and that was 4 years ago. Meanwhile, their LSM launch has been appearing on most of their coasters, and it seems that anything the hydraulic launch can do, the LSM can also accomplish it; with the exception of going extraordinarily fast or high... until now it seems

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been thinking of heading down to Spain and visit this beautiful park next year (too early for Ferrari Land but eh, I can live with it). I've been thinking of staying at one of the onsite hotels at a cheap time so I can take advantage of the perks given. Any tips about the hotels or the park itself before I start planning more?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Would like some advice on visiting Port Aventura on a weekend in November.

I'm looking at a visit on the 21 - 22 of November.

It's the weekend AFTER the Halloween activity ends, So I assume it might be less crowded , even though it's a weekend?

Will be coming in from Barcelona, I'm wondering if:

1. A one day trip would be enough? (Basically going for the big rides and coasters)

2.Do you think it will be more crowded on Saturday or Sunday?

2.Best, easy, way is a train from the city and back?

(I know there are tour buses, but I want to be there before opening time and the buses are there around 10:00 , Plus the option of "plana" bus does not go to Salou from the city Center, Just from the airport).

3.I read that there might be a problem getting the train back to the city (around 20:00) as it might be crowded? Is there a bus company that goes one way from Port aventura to Barcelona city and not the airport?

4. From around pl. Espanya, which train station is the best to get the train from?

Thanks!!

Is Intamin ditching the hydraulic launch system altogether?

The last one built was Formula Rossa and that was 4 years ago. Meanwhile, their LSM launch has been appearing on most of their coasters, and it seems that anything the hydraulic launch can do, the LSM can also accomplish it; with the exception of going extraordinarily fast or high... until now it seems

Not exactly. The speed at which this coaster is going is about the limit of what LSMs can do. So, anything faster than this like Ka or Formula can only use a hydraulic launch. Coasters going that speed are pretty rare anyways, so don't be surprised to see Intamin doing LSMs for anything below the 110 mph mark.

In terms of maintenance vs cost, LSMs are very efficient and the lack of moving parts makes it less likely for something to fail. A little off topic, but were there any big problems with Formula Rossa's hydraulic launch? I haven't heard of any, but it could be because we don't hear too much news out of that park anyways.

^I don't believe there was any major problem but there were some occasions when it was closed for a while and/or many times (pretty much like KK and TTD, really).

Also, I don't think there is a speed "limit" for LSMs. It's just that it might get too complicated/inefficient to reach higher speeds using them.

I was just using the maximum number from the Intrasys website. There's a lot of physics involved too that has to be factored in. Air resistance, friction, mass, etc. The way that LSMs have to be programmed could get sketchy too, and confuse the computer with every launch. All of those factors are probably why 110 was the maximum number.

The base of the tower for the new Ferrari land coaster has been finished. The base of the back tower is actually slightly inclined which shows that the tower for this ride will be a bit different to the ones on TTD and KK

th720_fc930ac7b628798bb36ec9c09fe5b5f6.thumb.jpg.24c097148cb8c2c5e1fcbbf7acd7a03a.jpg

th720_9cd16d7be90684b3416c2b9b83901d19.thumb.jpg.a31a564983d247d817da8c64b4bcae2f.jpg

The park has cleared trees near Stampida which indicates that the park might be continuing on with the GCI retrack.

th720_0892de85b8ac4a6f7a7cee8bf8abb044.thumb.jpg.5f4805d33c444d03263d4f4e6e743fe5.jpg

Source:PA-Community