TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

PortAventura Discussion Thread

^Given the approximate speed announced (less than 200 km/h) that would be impossible unless they're preparing a massive surprise which sounds too good to be true. That would be awesome,though!

I don't know what to believe. But a new world record for speed wouldn't be too surpricing given the fact that the last installment af a Ferrari park broke the record and that Port Aventura have been spending a lot of money lately.

Regarding the attatched drop towers: I think the whole idea seems daft! PA already got one of the better (and taller) drop towers in the world with Hurakan Condor. Why on earth would they want to make Condor, which was a huge investment at the time, redundant? The only way I can see this happening is if they convert Condor to some sort of starflyer type of attraction. That would make sense

^^Maybe because it's a fairly popular ride with a not so great capacity. It does sound odd to have two drop towers in the park but at least HK still has different seating options.

^That would be sweet!

According to the blogger FreakPlanet, in his recent blog post about FITUR (International fair of tourism of Spain), he had this to say about Ferrari Land

"[...]Nos aclararon que aún no han comenzado las obras y que se inaugurará en otoño del 2016, irá acompañado de un impresionante hotel de 5 estrellas, también tematizado en el mundo Ferrari y que no estará listo hasta el 2017.[...]"

Translation:

[...] They have told us that the construction hasn't begun yet and that the opening will be in Fall 2016. It will be accompanied by an amazing 5 star hotel, also themed to Ferrari which will not be ready until 2017[...]

Oh, that's unfortunate . . . . I was planning a trip on spring/summer 2016 but I guess I'll have to change that.

• 1 month later...

After a short off-season, PortAventura is going to start their 20th season celebrating its anniversary with plenty of decorations around the park and new shows. What the park has been really secretive about is the recent trackwork spotted around Stampida.

While most Spanish enthusiasts hoped (daydreamed?) for an extensive retrack of the dual-track wooden coaster, it turns out that the lucky coaster to get new trains is going to be Tomahawk. In fact, PortAventura has spent quite a bit of money on brand-new Mini-llennium Flyers from GCII (a bit like what happened to Coastersaurus at Legoland Florida).

Here's a picture of the new trains:

10999430_931729993538521_4652748883551358512_n.jpg?oh=abd91f8a298ab74e60b62a19b6121df1&oe=5584B486

Hopefully, those awful turns will have been banked to avoid the unnecessary lateral bashing.

I will keep you posted because next Saturday the park is holding an even for theme park enthusiasts/experts and they are going to unveil something "big" for Stampida as well, which is not going to open along with the rest of the coasters of the park this season. Who knows, maybe Stampida is also in for a GCII treatment? Something like a Real Major Conversion ( )?

Source: CAPTE.org and VideoReviewParks

From what Paulett has posted on PA-community, we know something has happened to the start of Stampida's layout. There's also reports that trains were running on Stampida today, nothing said about which trains.

I hope for the love of god that they put the GCI trains on Stampida, anything has got to be better than the KumbaK trains.

Just got back from the park. Stampida was open and let me tell you that it was running butter-smooth on the portion that has been retracked (basically from the first drop until the double up). The once curvy-hills have been turned into elevated turns and the ride profile is a bit tamer, if you ask me. As for the rest of the layout, it's pretty much the same old Stampida that we are all used to. By the way, the blue track seemed smoother than the ride track.

As far as Tomahawk goes, both Mini-llennium Flyers are already installed on the track. Today, engineers have been toying with the trains/test dummies but there has been no testing (that I am aware of). If tests go well, I'd say Tomahawk could be open at Easter. Fingers crossed to those who are visiting the park.

On the other hand, Furius Baco was closed all day and it will remain closed for a few more weeks.

As for Ferrari Land, today during an official event organised by the park to meet theme park enthusiasts, the PR director has confirmed that all details about Ferrari Land will be revealed on May 7th. So, stay tuned, folks.

^Thanks for the info. While it's good to hear stampida is smoother it's a shame if it really is tamer. I've only ridden it once (in the front) so I can't say much but I thought the curved hills were great fun due to the laterals. I actually really enjoyed it.

What's wrong with FB? I mean, it wouldn't be the first time it's closed for a whole day but how do you know it will be so for weeks?

Did you ride dragon khan? If so, does the MCBR still brake the train a lot like last season?

I'll be looking forward to hearing about ferrari land.

^I did notice that some of animatronics weren't quite working on my last visit and the "soundtrack" was getting out of sync with the launch but you would think they would address this earlier or didn't they have time to so do when the park was closed?

What's wrong with FB? I mean, it wouldn't be the first time it's closed for a whole day but how do you know it will be so for weeks?

Did you ride dragon khan? If so, does the MCBR still brake the train a lot like last season?

The PR guy said Furius Baco would still be under maintenance for some more weeks. Hopefully it won't take that long. He mentioned that new trains are not happening and that no matter how much extensive maintenance they do on Baco it will always be rough. I guess it all comes down to personal taste.

As for Dragon Khan, today it has been raining a lot in the morning, so track was wet. I don't know if MCBR grab more in these conditions but the trims were noticeable... I remember when it used to fly through the brakes without even pinching once. Today the second loop felt kind of floaty and the interlocking corkscrews were not as whippy as they normally feel. Even with the slight trimming Dragon Khan still remains the best B&M in the park in my opinion...

Edited by oriolat

^I still think DK is the best B&M in the park (in fact it's my favourite coaster) even with the trimming. When I rode it for the first time I loved how intense the 2nd part was and it's a real shame that it's slower now. We already discussed this last season and if what someone said was true (that the ride got new sensors) I guess this is a permanent change

As to FB yes it's rough but I still think it's awesome which is impressive taking not only that into account but also how short and simple the layout is.

Now what I don't like is those head/neckbanging inducing things they added one or two seasons ago after one of the straps that goes over your shoulders broke.

How were operations? Last season I went there on opening day and they were awful.

Hey all, I was at the park today. The weather wasn't the best but it got better through out the day. I visited the park for the first time 10 years ago and I can't really remember it a lot.

Shambhala was amazing. But the staff were rude. He/they refused to let me sit at the back and when I rode again I sat at the back and he unlocked my restraint and moved me to the front and sat a girl in the back instead, and he said I can't sit at the back of the train because of the wind!? any one ever heard any thing like this? But eventually I did ride in the back and it was a much better ride.

Dragon Kahn was good, rougher than I remember. But still a kickass B&M.

Furius Baco was closed all day. No one told me why. so does anyone know what 's going on? and when it will be open?

And the reprofilling of Stampida is very noticeable in the first section of the ride. The last part needs sorting out because it's rough as, but I like the new trains. But they were only letting people sit in the first 4 rows and sending the trains off, so you had wait for no reason because only 8 people could ride at a time, Odd. And Tomahawk was closed and was having work done with the new mini MillenniumFlyer trains.

And the Intamin tower rocked, I rode it 6 times. Lost of attractions were closed - mainly flat rides, the train and the boat rides around the park. and Templo del fuego which was a shame as I really enjoyed that on my last visit.

^ what's that for rude staff? The staff has to be FRIENDLY ALL THE TIME to make a great day for the visitor! And that they didn't let you sit in the Back row, but that they put a girl there! Crazy!

If I would be you I would give a feedback to the Park on their Website!

I visited the park again today. Furious Baco was still down. Hurakan Condor was down until about 12.45pm and the Red side of Stampida was open for 1 hour and then was down all day, and they still were only loading 8 people only per train cycle. But I just wanted to share some photo's of the new reprofilling on Stampida and the new trains which were testing on Tomahawk. it was a great day despite the closures. hopefully if I return again soon furious back will be open as i'v never ridden it.

IMG_3906.thumb.JPG.eccbb7a094ad052fad28ed6295da7217.JPG

The first curve up until the first double up has be redone and it rides a lot smoother.

IMG_3907.thumb.JPG.42c1f91e5d32a1a8b5e9960f143c382e.JPG

IMG_3908.thumb.JPG.f68e41d206b08308ebd6835b82450407.JPG

IMG_3911.thumb.JPG.bff03ae9f2339a5e191ae376b6ba46ea.JPG

The new trains were testing with water dummies on Tomahawk

IMG_3912.thumb.JPG.48a10ef793b1d507295f3b2166d6b752.JPG

I think these trains looked far to small for any adult to fit on.

^ what's that for rude staff? The staff has to be FRIENDLY ALL THE TIME to make a great day for the visitor! And that they didn't let you sit in the Back row, but that they put a girl there! Crazy!

If I would be you I would give a feedback to the Park on their Website!

Hi, This one guy just thought it was so funny to not let me sit at the back. But it was the whole you can't sit there because of the wind thing that got me annoyed. that was only a small annoying thing and the rest of my day was awesome.

For Stampida, they usually don't fully load trains when they know there isn't a big queue, I guess it's so they don't run through the queue too fast meaning they have to cycle empty trains once the queues empties. For Baco, It's currently undergoing extensive maintenance and is expected to be done for a couple more weeks. No one knows exactly what the maintenance is for, but it's something to do with the launch area. I think they are fixing the pre show.

New POV by PA-Community showing off the newly retracked Stampida:

You can really see the difference in the backwards pov bit, notice how little the camera was jumping around during the new retracked bit, and then again when it gets back on the old track.

Thanks. I thought it was strange as I felt like I was waiting to ride stampida for no reason. But the new sections of track feel really great, I hope they continue with the Rest of it as the last section up into the brakerun could really do with some love

• 3 weeks later...

I am heading to the park for the first time this week and was wondering in anyone could help with a few questions.

We are staying in Barcelona right near the main Sants station. Is it simple enough to get hold of the park plus train combo tickets from the Sants station?

Also, does anyone have any idea how busy the park will be this Thursday? I assume all the kids have gone back to school after Easter break now so this might mean lighter crowds.

Finally, is there a particular order that is best to hit the rides. We are only there for one day so want to make the most out of our time.

Thanks a lot!

When I got the train to the park it wasn't from Sants but I think you should be able to buy the tickets there easily.

I'm afraid I can't really help in terms of how crowded it will be as I don't go there often.

As to the rides, it's tough to say. Sometimes they don't open coasters like khan and shambhala right at opening time (for some reason). There are several boards across the park that show queue times for each ride so you should be able to see if they're open or not as soon as you get in. I don't know if furius baco is already open but if it is I would suggest getting there early and riding that one straight away to avoid queuing (as it's the coaster with the worst capacity of the big three).