TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

PortAventura Discussion Thread

^Agree. I would consider Skyrush's restraints a design flaw as while the rest of the ride turned out great, I get the feeling that not much thought was put into designing them (and also because the solution wouldn't be too complicated).

As I've said, the only ride I got on stampida was great so I can't really speak about the trains.

I've just come back from Salou, where I spent three days in PortAventura.

I'm not anywhere nearly as clued into the ins and outs of rollercoasters as ye guys obviously are, but as a Joe Soap with minimal knowledge, I can say that, having rode both sides (red and blue) of Stampida several times (and multiple times without getting off, as there were no queues), it is a rollercoaster that genuinely gave me the need to take some headache tablets.

There's an enormous amount of shaking, pushing and shoving and it pretty much just kicks the crap out of you (much like Tomahawk). It left bruises.

However... I wouldn't change it. It's that feeling of un-safety that makes it so enjoyable and such a thrill to ride on (in my experience). Even though you know its safe, there are times when you think the train is actually going to leave the track altogether, and it speeds up to silly levels, while clattering the life out of you (the blue train being much more aggressive than the red one).

I think one of the reasons I enjoyed it so much was because of it beating the crap out of me. Makes it so much more fun, and gives you something to talk about when you get off it, too.

El Diablo is a bit of a laugh, too, although obviously not as severe as the other two, but it is good fun.

Unrelatedly, quick question about Hurakan Condor (the drop ride). It has two types of seat (a normal seat, and a 'standing' seat, where your legs dangle out from under you). On the one where you're 'standing', when it reaches the top, the seat tilts forward (so you're slightly facing more forward, down to the ground). Has it always done this? This was my third time in PA and I'd been on that ride every time.. This tilt-forward took me completely by surprise. Is it a new thing or have I just never noticed it before?

^I've only ridden Hurakan Condor once and I got the normal seating. As far as I know (although I could be wrong) there is a tilting and a non tilting standup car. It has 5 in total so I'm not sure what each one does but I think you have two standup ones.

I believe there are 2 sit down, 1 tilted sit down, 1 floorless stand up and 1 tilted floorless standup.

Also, the old PTC trains on Stampida were not smooth, they still have that out of control feel that most people like in wooden coasters, but they were far less violent than the new KumbaK ones.

Not yet, but it's thought to be new shows and possible new paint schemes for things around the park/the coaster trains for the occasion like what they did for the 15 year anniversary.

707835590_CescFabregasyFansenDragonKhan.thumb.jpg.ccf20b5b43025163ab45c06dcd51c3fa.jpg

th720_fbd11dd0b33071246ad5f568ed73be15.thumb.JPG.345460850464aa9b626210408caa690e.JPG

That said, there is supposedly a rumour going around about something happening to Sea Odyssey, about it possibly getting a new show or getting removed all together.

On a side note, the 20th Anniversary advert on the PA website also mentions this about Ferrari Land:

[...]

for 2016, the Scuderia Ferrari races into PortAventura in a new and exciting theme area that will be known as Ferrari Land

[...]

It might just be the somewhat broken English they translated it too, but it's another thing suggesting that Ferrari Land will actually be part of the main park and not a different part of the resort.

• 2 months later...

A News article was posted on PA-Community about Ferrari Land. Not sure about the source, the user on PA-Community said they found the article on Facebook

(Translation)

PortAventura Confirm Construction of Ferrari Land to start by 20th of March

The park closed it's gates yesterday and is preparing for it's 20th anniversary this coming season

The construction of Ferrari Land, the park dedicated to the "Cavallino Rampante" at PortAventura, will commence before the 20th of march of this year. This way, the construction will begin before the start of the 2015 season, which will mark the parks 20th anniversary.

PortAventura Closed it's gates yesterday after entertaining 6.000 guests, the average number of guests for the low season, and is currently finishing the results for the 2014-2015 season, which we will get to know in the coming days. Meanwhile, The park has confirmed that the construction of Ferrari Land will begin before the 20th of March, the start date of the upcoming tourist season. According to the time frame given for the construction, the opening of Ferrari Land will not coincide with the opening of the main park for the 2016 season, instead will be opening at a later date.

During this first quarter of 2015, PortAventura will publicly announce the location Ferrari Land will be built, which will be considered the starting point of construction which, according to the park, will be performed by local construction companies. The Construction of Ferrari Land will generate around 400 jobs and will cost 100 million Euros.

According to what PortAventura announced in March '14, Ferrari Land will occupy an area of 75.000 m^2, expectedly on the remaining land of the "Conrorci Recreatiu i Turistic" behind the Mediterranean area or the park. The new park will offer attractions for all ages and for aficionados of the world of Ferrari. The park will include the tallest and fastest vertical accelerator in Europe.

This project is is also accompanied by the construction of a new deluxe 5-star hotel containing 250 rooms, restaurants, shops and large areas with Formula 1 driving simulators.

It will be the first park in Europe and the second in the world, after Ferrari World in AbuDabi, to belong to the Italian mark. Ferrari Land will be one of the most ground breaking attractions for the coming seasons on the "Costa Daurada" (Gold Coast).

Anniversary Shows

PortAventura will be taking advantage of these 3 months closed to perform refurbishments on many attractions and around the park.

The coming season, the park will open without a new attraction, but instead, the park will be celebrating their 20th anniversary and PortAventura has mentioned that they will be celebrated though their shows, however the park has not yet released detailed information as to how.

This year will also be the second that Cirque Du Soleil will continue it's deal with the park and, as has been announced this December, will be performing their show "Amaluna". Recently, PortAventura and Cirque Du Soleil have reached an agreement to collaborate for the following 5 years which will allow the Canadian company to establish a tent for their shows for the summer. The Canadian Circus will not be installing the tent for the new show until well into the new season.

I left out the "Esperant BCN World"/Waiting for BCN World section just because there is quite a bit in that section don't quite understand.

Also, in recent interviews, the head of PA has been trying to advertise the new giga/strata as a Vertical Accelerator, not a rollercoaster (Which also explains why in all articles, it has never been referred to as a roller coaster), so that way they don't have to take the "Europe's tallest coaster" title away from Shambhala. It's also been reported the ride is going to be At least 100m tall, people are speculating that it will be around 110m.

^Thanks for the update.

As to the coaster, why would they not refer to it as a coaster? Then they would have the two tallest and two fastest coasters in Europe! And it's not like they decide whether it is a coaster or not.

About the height, they said it would reach "nearly" 200 km/h. TTD reaches 193 and is 129 meters tall. So that means that either it will be at least 120-130 m tall or it will not reach "nearly" 200 (I know that's debatable but personally, I don't consider anything slower than 190 "nearly" 200).

So basically will be at least 130m tall with at least 194km/h to gain the tallest/fastest accelerator title.

They are advertising it as the tallest and fastest accelerator coaster in Europe. So, basically, it would only have to go faster than 134 km/h (to beat furius baco) and be over 62 meters (stealth at Thorpe Park) . However, they have said that it will be over 100 m tall and hit "nearly" 200 km/h. In order to gain the tallest and fastest accelerator title in the world it would have to be over 139 m tall (to beat Kingda Ka) and go faster than 240 km/h to beat formula rossa but that's obviously not going to happen.

360ft is what I've read as a couple of rumours which would make it just under 110m. There is a Ferrari 360 which I guess could tie in to the numbers.

It could be possible that the top hat is trimmed at the top so the launch speed could still be higher than TTD as they are not seeking a world height record and higher speed would make rollbacks less likely and allow operating in stronger winds

^I think that was the idea with KK's trim at the top (although it doesn't really work as expected) and for it to be "only" 110 m and be faster/as fast as it would need some serious trimming (or it would have ejector air over the top which I doubt).

^ I remember hearing something like that.

As said in the article (assuming I translated it right), in the coming 2 and half months, they should announce the exact location of park, and I'd expect the stats for the coaster would come around the same time.

On a side note, I've just booked my PA trip for early April, so I should get to see some of the construction.

^ I remember hearing something like that.

What? About the trims?

Anyway, I'm glad I'll have a coaster of that size within a sort of reasonable distance from home and this whole addition should make an already great park even better!

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know how credible this is, but according to Wikipedia, the drop tower in the new Ferrari Land will be 460 feet tall, meaning that the coaster will be even taller than that! Like I said, this may not be true, but Wikipedia must have gotten it from somewhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drop_tower

According to the blogger FreakPlanet, in his recent blog post about FITUR (International fair of tourism of Spain), he had this to say about Ferrari Land

"[...]Nos aclararon que aún no han comenzado las obras y que se inaugurará en otoño del 2016, irá acompañado de un impresionante hotel de 5 estrellas, también tematizado en el mundo Ferrari y que no estará listo hasta el 2017.[...]"

Translation:

[...] They have told us that the construction hasn't begun yet and that the opening will be in Fall 2016. It will be accompanied by an amazing 5 star hotel, also themed to Ferrari which will not be ready until 2017[...]

To Elissa/Robb, if you were planning a Spain trip for 2016, I'd say hold off until 2017 as you may miss out on Ferrari Land.