TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

PortAventura Discussion Thread

• 2 weeks later...

How do folks.. probably don't know me as I'm more a lurker than anything else really (though i was on here before moaning about the Shambhala seats).

I've been to PA twice in the past and will be going a third (and final, most likely) time in the next week or so.

I was wondering if I could ask ye guys a question, or for your opinion on something... (this is a little discussion that was had between myself and a friend, that never really crossed my mind in the past).

PA have a fair few rollercoasters. They also have a 'drop' ride (Condor).

Is it just me, though, or does it appear that, outside of those, everything else is effectively a variation of the 'tea cups'? (ie; you sit and get spun around in a circle repeatedly. More extreme versions would have multiple spinning pieces).

For example:

Standard tea cups:

Spin in a circle (childs ride, in fairness)

Tea cups with slight ariel feel.

There doesn't seem to be too much in the way of non-rollercoaster "thrill rides" (as rollercoaster tycoon would call them).

This ride (under a different guise) is featured in a local funfair that travels around Ireland:

This is something we used to have in an irish permanent theme park about 15 years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcjjTcZQ7Yg

(etc. etc. you get the idea)

I'm surprised the park doesn't even have a fairly bog standard ferris wheel/big wheel (or even a more extreme one, with the 'spinning cages' instead of normal seats).

Is there a reason for this? Or is it just down to a lack of imagination and playing it safe in general?

I kind of thought that with the new Ferrari attachment, they'd have done the fairly obvious 'catapult' ride, but it would appear that's not on the plans at all (odd, considering the Ferrari theme would surely be based around taking off at speed?)

It's just something I was pondering...

I'm really confused as to why the BCN resort is going to be built right next to the park in such a way that it limits expansion. I know the park has plenty of space for rides to built around each other, but having so much space around the park is a luxury not many European parks have.

@chokeslamcena - all of those rides were from when the park opened and were just filler rides in addition to the coasters and water rides. The park didn't really have any dark rides as the designers didn't think there would be an appetite for these in such a hot country. A lot of the rides were from Huss too so they probably got a good deal because they bought so many rides:

Volpaiute is a Huss Flipper

El Trono de Pakal was a Huss Rainbow

Kon Tiki Wave is the Polynesian themed Huss Pirate Ship

Crazy Barrels is a Huss Breakdance

Teacups, Cobra Imperial, Serpiente Emplumada and Yucatán aren't Huss, but I think they're from the same manufacturer. Spin rides were just a cheap and effective way to add lots more rides into the park for when it opened in 1995 to support the big coasters and water rides.

The blue side of Stampida rolled back today on the double-up

(credit to Aleso on Pa-Community)

This is the third rollback PA has had this season, they had one on Shambhala back in may when the train didn't make it into the mcbr and one on the red side of Stampida in August.

Edited by Projektion

What causes a roll back, out of curiousity? Not enough weight in the train, I presume? (although I suppose if that was the case, it'd never make it round the track on an empty testing..?).

Cheers KarlaKoaster for the info on the non-coaster rides. Much appreciated. Interesting that they've never really bothered to update any of them or add any more interesting variations to their non-coaster rides. Could do them a bit of good. I like roller coasters, but I am also very fond of decent non-coaster rides.. but you can only get spun around in circles so many times before it kind of loses it's appeal..

The blue side of Stampida rolled back today on the double-up

http://static.pa-community.com/pictures/d2/19/062c86fe3bdc13907b3a8a4691db/th720_82ec4903cb909f549e007507d1c0c2ef.jpg

(credit to Aleso on Pa-Community)

This is the third rollback PA has had this season, they had one on Shambhala back in may when the train didn't make it into the mcbr and one on the red side of Stampida in August.

Actually, when was that taken (the photo)? Looks like a fairly hefty queue, considering it's mid-october?!

RMC IT!!!!

That would be great. Although, if I had the chance to choose, I would rather have them maybe do just a re-tracking on this one (and keeping it a nice family friendly coaster) and building a new one in another place in the park.

This is the third rollback PA has had this season, they had one on Shambhala back in may when the train didn't make it into the mcbr

That's what happens when you have a coaster which goes quite slowly through the hills even with full trains.

Cheers KarlaKoaster for the info on the non-coaster rides. Much appreciated. Interesting that they've never really bothered to update any of them or add any more interesting variations to their non-coaster rides. Could do them a bit of good. I like roller coasters, but I am also very fond of decent non-coaster rides.. but you can only get spun around in circles so many times before it kind of loses it's appeal..

That's OK I guess the spin rides look very nice with good theming, but you are right that none of them are very exciting, especially because Port Aventura run them so badly.

What causes a roll back, out of curiousity?

KumbaK

Judging from the crowd, I don't think Stampida is losing fans. Building an RMC that crosses with Shambhla and Khan to improve the beautiful corner even more! Just don't use orange track.

No, it would need "traditional coloured" track. I don't think that area needs another coaster. it looks stunning the way it is (especially from far). I'm not sure where I would put it, though.

Coaster express should definitely get the RMC treatment more than stampida (just retrack it)

To me, design flaw means that there is something wrong with the design of the train making it inherently unsafe. This is analogous to a recall of a product which they would not do if it was simply uncomfortable. Just because the Kumbak trains give an awful uncomfortable ride, it does not mean that there is a design flaw.

^I've only ridden stampida once (and it was in the front, I have to admit) and it was perfectly fine. Honestly, it wasn't any rougher than the average woodie (out of those I've ridden). I assume it was either the seat or I caught it on a very good day. So, out of curiosity, in what way do the trains give a terrible ride? Roughness? Seats?

To me, design flaw means that there is something wrong with the design of the train making it inherently unsafe. This is analogous to a recall of a product which they would not do if it was simply uncomfortable. Just because the Kumbak trains give an awful uncomfortable ride, it does not mean that there is a design flaw.

Design flaws refers to all the problems Vliegende Hollander have. The lift hill problem, the wheels issue etc. Intamin had to fix the lift issue because they can't even do anything about it. I feel sorry for KumbaK.

I think this definition of "design flaw" is a bit too narrow. Just because the design doesn't catastrophically fail doesn't mean it is a good design. Out of all the possible designs that are safe, some are more comfortable than others. The factors that introduce the uncomfortable aspects, things like the wheel bogies not tracking well, or the suspension being too rigid can be considered less than desirable (btw, these may not specifically apply to KumbaK, they are just general examples). So what should we call these unfortunate parts of the design that prevent the ride from riding more comfortably? I think "design flaw" meets the bill. It doesn't need to be unsafe to be a design flaw, imo.