TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

PortAventura Discussion Thread

Oh, also, has anyone any more word on the Shambhala seating? Are 'bigger thigh people' getting on it now, or still being refused? (reading here, it seems someone mentioned that the ride has become more forgiving, but I'm not sure if anyone ever gave an actual "i was there" answer? All stories are very vague).

Cheers

This issue has been minimised since a couple of months ago. Only extremly wide leg/bigger thigh people may have some problems. Imo the seating issue is now at the same level of any other B&M hypercoaster.

The best thing to avoid any unpleasant surprise is use the seat in the ride entrance and check the green sticker at the bottom part of the seat.

Another weird Intamin incident, but it's much, much less serious than it appears.

Furius Baco basically has lapbars.

The only purpose of the OTSR-extension is to make sure you keep sitting upright. It can break and nothing will happen. You won't fall out.

Most people, especially kids, never even touch the OTSR-part:

Another weird Intamin incident, but it's much, much less serious than it appears.

I'll wait for an official report, because if any part of a coaster train snaps it could be a larger problem. Was the snapping restraint caused by the stress? If so it could be serious. How would we know stress isn't causing problem elsewhere?

Furius Baco basically has lapbars.

The only purpose of the OTSR-extension is to make sure you keep sitting upright. It can break and nothing will happen. You won't fall out.

It's not falling out I would be worried about, its that fact that the ride is putting those kinds of forces on the trains. The problem with winged trains is they reall don't do forceful layouts that well, it looks like Intamin learnt this with Baco which is why you see a new design on SkyRush, I'd be interested to see if they try to sell PA the new style trains at some point in the future.

Baco is such a great ride. I'm sure they'll get it up and fixed quickly and are taking this time to perform regular maintenance since it is out of service. Hopefully the incident was minor and that any potential issues can be addressed for future safety.

Moose and TPDave are right, the forces that the ride produces are some of the most intense that you'll find.

I'm not the biggest coaster-goer in the world, with very limited experience (pales in comparison to those on here who have such a strong interest in it, surely) but I must admit that Baco is far and away the single best coaster experience of my life. I didn't know about the launch at the start (I hadn't read up on it or such), so it took me completely by surprise.

I'm a fully grown man, and I know the chances of any injury or death on a coaster is practically non-existant, but Baco had me literally dreading going upside down. The whole thing is just a severely intense experience and two years later I still look at it as one of the most thrilling, yet stomache churning, experiences of my life.

Of course, when I rode it a second time and it wasn't quite the same, as I knew what was coming, and the same with when I go back again this year, but for sheer heartstopping fun, it's among the best experiences of my life. I'm praying it'll be fully functional again before I get there (less than 3 weeks).

I'll wait for an official report, because if any part of a coaster train snaps it could be a larger problem. Was the snapping restraint caused by the stress? If so it could be serious. How would we know stress isn't causing problem elsewhere?

You have a point. At first I thought nothing of it because a snapped OTSR on an Intamin accelerator poses no risk to the rider, but then I realized how hard it would be to actually snap one of those restraints, so it must have had some extreme stress on it.

I worried about all the other Intamins with this type of restraint (Maverick, Kingda Ka, etc...) Will they all have to be taken out of service??

I say this because (although WAY more serious) after the Hellevator incident, almost every Intamin drop tower in the world was down for a while...

This issue with the restraint is very minor one. If there was a big failure, then you would have seen all the other ride's in the world with these restraints allready closed down until further notice.

This has not happened, and therefore it makes me think that somebody at PA has just done something stupid with it.

Roughness of it doesn't bother me (adds to the experience in my opinion!) but fantastic news that it's back up and running again

It didn't use to bother me either. But trust me, last time I rode Furius Baco it was *that* bad. Just to make it easier to understand, Stampida was SMOOTH glass compared to Baco last time I rode. So rough and shaky that gave me a splitting headache for the rest of the day...

Will I like Shambhala if I didn't like Furius Baco or Dragon Khan? Furious Baco was really uncomfortable, hurling me around at great speeds and Dragon Khan just made me feel really dizzy. I would have liked stampida but it was really rough and my legs felt bruised when I got off. I normally love coasters but after my experience with Baco and Dragon Khan at PA, in not sure if I'd like Shambhala.

Edited by tbo2

^Shambhala is a completely different experience. It's not full of old-skool B&M intensity found on Dragon Khan. In fact, besides the first drop and perhaps the ampersand element it is rather tame and rerideable. Most people asked have agreed that Shambhala is rather fun but not too intense to enjoy.

Hope that helps!

Shambhala is very re-rideable and a lot of fun. The back seat is fantastic if you want something more forceful.

The thing with Baco that I personally found is that it is no rougher than Kingda Ka. What it is is incredibly intense. The forces combined with the bouncy outer seats may not be "comfortable" for everyone but wow, is it awesome. Just have to make sure that you don't staple yourself in to take tight restraints out of the equation. Like Kingda Ka, I found that it is horrible to ride if you're overly tired for whatever reason.