TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

PortAventura Discussion Thread

^ not fake... its like Moose have written: When the wind or sth. helse hits a frequency, that is the same(double/treble) as the resonance of an object in began to swing extremly.

Most of you will know the example of the "Tacoma bridge" from TV( epic fail construction and resonance swinging):

or here boing tested what happens when a helicopter hits the same frequency as the ground resonance:

And because i am a video editor and Special-FX artist, i don`t think this is a fake. I think in this video the wind hits the frequency of the object and so it started to swing very extrem.

^Thank you. Once you hit that frequency it doesnt take much more to increase it. Also, just because its not blowing at 20ft doesnt mean it isnt at 120ft. Buildings, etc can shape the wind and obscure things that you "think" should be blowing just as hard.

Yay Vortex Shedding!

It's amazing what a structure can do if it hits a natural frequency.

WAIT! Do you expect me to believe the word of an engineer over pimply faced students?

Jon - thanks for sharing your professional and factual assessment.

I am going in a couple of weeks, and wonder one thing.

Being a season ticket holder at Liseberg in Sweden, I get free entrance to PortAventura (great deal) for one visit.

But I guess that we want to get Express Passes to avoid the long waiting times. Does anyone know if you need to buy the ticket and express pass at the same time, or can you get express passes also with other kinds of admission (such as getting in for free...)?

And speaking about express passes, any updates on current prices? And can they be used on Shambala?

I am going in a couple of weeks, and wonder one thing.

Being a season ticket holder at Liseberg in Sweden, I get free entrance to PortAventura (great deal) for one visit.

But I guess that we want to get Express Passes to avoid the long waiting times. Does anyone know if you need to buy the ticket and express pass at the same time, or can you get express passes also with other kinds of admission (such as getting in for free...)?

And speaking about express passes, any updates on current prices? And can they be used on Shambala?

You can buy your express tickets appart from the park entry. Here you can find information about the three different kind of express in PortAventura: http://www.pafans.com/info/portaventura-express/

Does this park have any association with NBC Universal or have they cut all ties with them now?

Universal Studios was the owner of the park during 2000 to 2003. Now the owner is Investindustrial.

Shambhala will remain closed until this saturday. They're fixing the lift problems.

What's the scope of this problem? Can we expect it to be fixed by this weekend or is it more complicated than that? I'm actually surprised to hear about technical problems of this kind with a brand new B&M. I pray to god the ride is up and running by the 18th of june when i pay a visit.

Here there are some photos showing Shambhala at night with lift hill lights on (if you closely there's a crane working as of now, 1am). I must say the lighting package is very powerful!

Source: Harman from PAFans.com

Hi

I was at PA from 29th to 31st of May. First of all, Shambhala has to be the best coaster I have ever been on! For me & my wife, it was much more thrilling than Dragon Khan.

I rode the Shambhala 5 times throughout my stay and it was amazing all the buzz and excitement surrounding each ride. The end of every ride was followed by applause by all the riders! Airtime was great and I would suggest not to let the lap support get pushed too securly to your body, that way you will lift out your seat on all the airtime hills and literally feel like you are flying! I never got to sit at the front but I was at the very back twice and my god do you get sucked over the top of the lift hill!

PA is such an awesome resort, we were gobsmacked by the great quality of the room at the Hotel PortAventura and the water park was also a great surprise!

One comment I have to make is about the god awful Furius Baco. I rode it once, and no more since it rattled my body to pieces in no way I have ever felt before. I'm talking a roughness that FAR bypasses anything you can feel on Stampida. Please someone reassure me that it is not normally that rough because I truly hated it and wished it would finish. It was far too rough to enjoy. However, shortly afterwards it shut for technical reason for the last 2 days I was there so I am hoping the extreme roughness was part of the fault.

^Glad to hear you had such a good time, the resorts are really nice and sounds like Shambhala is a blast.

Unfortunately I can't quite tell you that you're wrong about Baco. My first ride in a front row outside seat was one of the best coaster rides of my life, but each time I rode it after that (something around 5, I' do stupid things when there are no lines) just rattled me more and more. By my last ride I was just praying for the end like you. I think that there is some variability with weather (or perhaps the mechanical problem you mentioned) but overall yes- it is very vibrate-y.