TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

PortAventura Discussion Thread

^Unless they fixed the rattling problem, this just dropped way down on the coasters I anticipate riding. Diamondback was headache-inducing, and if these trains are even half as bad, I'm sorry for you guys that they went with them.

I have read about the rattling problem that DB has, but I guess it comes down to trackwork, construction or wheel assembly (or both combined!). I have never heard of anyone complaining about Behemoth or Intimidator (CW) though...

^I haven't heard people complain, per se, but I brought up the rattling issue in the Kings Island thread after I rode Diamondback last summer and people said that both of the other new-train hypers rattle as well, and that Diamondback has from day one. I'm assuming it has to do with a different wheel assembly - you can watch the wheels shake as they ride the track.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it... B&M managed to break it when they tried.

^Unless they fixed the rattling problem, this just dropped way down on the coasters I anticipate riding. Diamondback was headache-inducing, and if these trains are even half as bad, I'm sorry for you guys that they went with them.

I want to know where people have been feeling this "rattle" on Diamondback. Sure, you can hear it a little on the first drop as it goes past the midway, but never once have I felt anything that I would consider abnormal or uncomfortable, and certainly nothing that was "headache-inducing." And I visit a handful of times throughout the year, in different temperatures. Headache-inducing in my mind is Mean Streak, Son of Beast, or Manhattan Express/Roller Coaster... DB is still pretty dang smooth.

At the bottom of every drop, and particularly at the valley of the exit side of the hammerhead. I've never felt a steel coaster rattle so much, and after three rides (one in the second row and two in the back car) it gave both of us a headache.

[sarcasm]I know, Diamondback makes The Beast seem as smooth as a hot knife through butter![/sarcasm]

At the bottom of every drop, and particularly at the valley of the exit side of the hammerhead. I've never felt a steel coaster rattle so much, and after three rides (one in the second row and two in the back car) it gave both of us a headache.

I guess it is all subjective. I rode it 8 or 9 times on media day the year it opened and was fine. I have ridden in a few times in a day numerous times since. It has never been enough to even come close to ruining the ride for me (or barely notice). I'm not claiming it is the smoothest out there, but at the same time, there is much, MUCH worse. I guess it is all in the type of ride you are looking for? It may not be saying much, but is there a smoother ride in the park? But I guess that is a little off topic here....

It'd be interesting to know if B&M feels the same about the V-shaped trains, since they put they 4-wide cars and Leviathan. It is made more interesting since it appears they have gone with the V-shaped trains for this. Or maybe it is strictly based on customer preference.

^Those trains have been well-known (by multiple posters on here) to have a vibration to them. He is not the first person to report similar issues with Diamondback.

I have not ridden any of these coasters so I can not speak from experience, but I have ready plenty reports about this problem on here and other places.

Edited by ernierocker

^^The thing is, we aren't ones to complain about roughness. We scoff at the pages upon pages of debate over wooden rides being rough because we love that about them. I don't even find Mean Streak to be as rough as people say it is. But I've been on three B&M hypers, and Diamondback is by far the worst. You're right, I'm not looking for that type of ride - because rides that are the same exact type at other parks are smooth as glass running the old trains.

[sarcasm]I know, Diamondback makes The Beast seem as smooth as a hot knife through butter![/sarcasm]

The difference is, The Beast should be rough - it's been a fast wooden ride with a lot of laterals and stress on the track and trains for forty years. It was my favorite coaster at the park, by a long shot.

Edited by coasterfreak101

Small update: first camelback needs another piece of track to be topped off, more supports of the helix have been erected and one more section of it has been put. Onto the pictures (sorry for the quality but the lens was probably dirty):

In this picture the hill looks VERY steep. Again, angles...

A bunch of other pictures can be found here.

Source: Ingl from CAPTE.org

At the bottom of every drop, and particularly at the valley of the exit side of the hammerhead.

Not to hijack the Shambala thread with this but I feel the vibration as you come out of the hammerhead more than anywhere else on Diamondback. I don't recall feeling that much vibration on Intimidator at Carowinds.

Back to Shambala, I know it's just the angle of the photo but that camelback looks quite steep and I'm liking how the turnaround is coming along.

I notice the vibration a little on Diamondback, but I *really* am going to assume that is a track issue, not a train issue. Why would it be smooth the rest of the ride, but not at that specific point each time? I believe it is really the track alignment.

Raptor has a very similar feel after the MCBR as it switches direction into the first flatspin. No matter where you sit, the entire train kind of "shimmy's". Not a wheel or train issue.

Batman at GL had the same thing in the Cobra Roll, and you always heard it. There was also a point at the end of the ride with the same sound/vibration.

Behemoth at Wonderland was butter smooth. I did not feel one bit of shake/vibration (just rode it last year, so not judging based off opening year or anything).

Think about it, if it were the trains it would happen anywhere on the ride with similar stresses. Not just one point every time. If you pay attention on B&M's, it happens at the same point, usually at a track connection. This could be due to foundation settlement, for example... Just slightly mis-aligning the precision fit between the two pieces of track causing the wheels to track a bit differently.