TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Fuji-Q Highlands Discussion Thread

Forget Egg turns! It's all about the overbank. And the absolutely messed up supports!

This is HUGE. considering you can 2 people across the stairs atleast! The lift hill is just.. Mega. Lol.

So getting on this in 2007!

Oh yeh, Thanks so much for the update! Shame Fuji-Q was closed! Do you know why?

Wow i freaking love the supports on this roller coaster, they are true showing of support enginering! I just love the twists and turns of this roller coaster!

Must go to this park one day

Also am i the only one who's curious as to what the trains will be like now? As it should be anytime soon.

OK, post update wrap-up:

I don't think that I forced Fuji-Q's hand to announce this attraction in any way.

I will say that the first three times I went, I had an amicable time chatting with site workers about the construction of the new ride. This time, I was barred entry into the small parking area for the construction workers, the security seemed to be looking for me and turned me away, the workers gave me 'dirty looks' and I sincerely think that they were watching for me to do something illegal.

I took my pictures and a little video and left. I wish that soemone could have explained to me why the different reaction to my presence this time though. I had harbored a fantasy that if I was going to be around the week that this ride opened that I would have recieved a nice welcome. Apparently not.

I don't know why the park was closed, but it was Tuesday, and it is possible even likely that they are normally closed on Tuesdays in the 'low' season. It was a little rainy and cool, anyway so I doubt they would have had much buisness anyway.

Now I'm going to see about uploading this little video I shot.

My next and final CONSTRUCTION update will be sometime after the TPR UK trip, but before 1 July. I won't get to ride until September, so if anyone beats me to it, feel free to post a ride review! I will either way once I get to try it out!

I'll have to get back to Fuji-Q someday. Although if it impresses me as much as "X" did (read: not much) I'll probably end up taking one lap on that and go back to Fujiyama

I'm really interested to see if they've improved the trains any -- my ride on X consisted mostly of rattling around with the occasional "Oh, cool" moment.

I am beginning to wonder if that is the possible opening date of the ride on the far left. With my limited amount of knowledge of Chinese characters (which some are the same as Japanese), I can see there is a date printed as the 18th Year (whatever that means, maybe 18th year of Japan's current "ruler"?) July, 19th. That would make sense since it looks like it is about 2 months away from opening.

To complete what you translated earlier Chris.

On the left it states that Eejanaika opens on the 19:th of july during the 18:th year of the current emperor.

Underneath the circle thingy, it says "Eejanaika".

On the right: top 3 kanjis "fujikyu", underneath side by side "Fuijyama" (left) and "Dodonpa" (right), bottom "third son" < I guess it refer to Eejanaika as the 3:rd big coaster.

And at the bottom of the poster it says:"wonderfull, wonderfull" (or something like that).

Looks like it´s going to be a really great coaster, and the colors of it just make it look fabulous. To bad that I wasn´t able to get to Japan this year as I was hoping to do.

I just was informed that the symbols in the circle are the first two katakana in the name Eejanaika. The two Kanji above the circle actually mean Baptism.

Interesting.

Maybe the name's not a joke after all. (The first two katakana, (The circled pair) can be turned upside down (as demonstrated on the Eejanaika website) and still mean the same thing.

I was checking RCDB yesterday and I noticed that they had counted as inversion only the two raven turns and I was wondering why they didn't count the full-full as an inversion. Isn't the full-full an inversion?

And how about the big turn after the full-full? It looks averbanked enough to make an inversion. What do you think?

I've been in touch with Duane about the inversions / elements on Eejanaika.

I know that the overbank does not completely invert, so that doesn't count.

I'm not sure why he's not counting the Full-Full.

There is also a small problem in the apparent order of the elements:

The seats should be returning return to the station right-side-up based on the APPARENT order of elements. The problem is that with the elements seen thus far, the track / cars will be coming back inverted.

Explanation:

(Orientation of seats and train at the end of each element, based on appearance of tracks currently installed.)

Train departs station: Seats Right-Side-Up, (RSU) Train RSU

Lift hill: Seats RSU, Train RSU

Dip-vertical drop-pull out: Seats Up-Side-Down, (50%) Train RSU

Inside Raven Turn: Seats RSU (100%), Train USD

Full-Full: Seats RSU (0%), Train USD

Overbank: Seats RSU (0%), Train USD

Half-Half: Seats RSU (50%), Train RSU

Outside Raven Turn: Seats RSU (0%) Train USD

Brake run: Seats RSU (0%) Train USD

Unless they are going to squeeze a fly-to-lie inbetween the Outside Raven Turn and the Brake run, this is looking weird! There might be enough room, but it's going to be TIGHT!

Does anybody see something in my pictures I'm not noticing? Since I've never been on X, nor seen it in person, a lot of this is speculation based on my ASSumptions of how the 4D system works.

Help will be grealy appreciated!

If it's like X it should make a half-half right before the brake run...

Something like this...

Oh yeah about the inversions... the full-full wont invert you if it rolls, as the train RSU the seats goes RSU as well...so during the middle of the full-full you should be watching backwards RSU. However i bet you're going to be so confused during this element you won't be able to tell if you're upp-side-down or not

I see it as you leave the station backwards up the lift, face first drop, complete the flip. You enter the first raven turn going forwards now dive below full-full you enter the overbank going forwards, enter the half-half and your going backwards again enter the raven turn you drop going forwards and then the fly to lie flip and your in the brakes going backwards again. Dunno if that all made sense.

I'd consider myself to be a pretty good X junkie. Here's what I can tell so far:

I'll use the same Right Side Up (RSU) and Up Side Down (USD) terms for the train, but I'll try a different notation for the rotation of the seats: 0 - 540 degrees. 0 is when the rails are closest to the running rails, or at the tip of the track, and 540 is as low as I believe they go on X, which is 1½ turns from the 0 position. The seat rotations are approximate, I have no idea what the exact angles are, but that should give you a pretty good idea what is happening.

X's Layout (based on my own experience)

Train leaves station: Train RSU, seats ~135 (recliner-like position).

Train climbs lift hill: Train RSU, seats ~135 (now upright, due to lift hill incline).

Train goes over first drop: Train RSU (vertical), seats flip forward to 360 (facing forward, and down).

Train reaches bottom of hill: Train RSU, seats continue forward to 540 (upright, facing backwards).

Inside Raven Turn: Train now USD, seats rotate gradually to 360 (upright, facing forward).

Full Backflip: Train USD, seats rotate to 0 (still upright, facing forward).

Big Curve: Train USD, seats 0 (no change).

Half Half: Train now RSU, seats rotate to 180 (upright, now facing backward).

Outside Raven Turn: Train now USD, seats rotate to 360 (upright, facing forward).

Half Half: Train now RSU, seats rotate to 180 (upright, facing backward).

Brake Run: Train still RSU, seats return to recliner position of about 135.

Eejanaika's Layout (based on pictures)

Train leaves station: Train RSU, seats ~135 (recliner-like position).

Train climbs lift hill: Train RSU, seats ~135 (now upright, due to lift hill incline).

Train goes over first drop: Train RSU (vertical), seats flip forward to 360 (facing forward, and down).

Train reaches bottom of hill: Train RSU, seats continue forward to 540 (upright, facing backwards).

Inside Raven Turn: Train now USD, seats rotate All the way to 0 (upright, facing forward).

Full Full: Train flips from USD to RSU to USD again, seats rotate forward to 360 (still upright, facing forward).

Overbanked Curve: Train USD, seats 360 (no change).

Half Half: Train now RSU, seats rotate backwards to 180 (upright, now facing backward).

Outside Raven Turn: Train now USD, seats rotate to 360 (upright, facing forward).

Half Half: Train now RSU, seats rotate to 180 (upright, facing backward).

Brake Run: Train still RSU, seats return to recliner position of about 135.

I've bolded the differences on Eejanaika. The last 3 elements on Eejanaika after the first Half Half I am just guessing they are the same as X. Comments/Corrections are welcome!

Matt

To complete what you translated earlier Chris.

On the left it states that Eejanaika opens on the 19:th of july during the 18:th year of the current emperor.

Underneath the circle thingy, it says "Eejanaika".

On the right: top 3 kanjis "fujikyu", underneath side by side "Fuijyama" (left) and "Dodonpa" (right), bottom "third son" < I guess it refer to Eejanaika as the 3:rd big coaster.

And at the bottom of the poster it says:"wonderfull, wonderfull" (or something like that).

Looks like it´s going to be a really great coaster, and the colors of it just make it look fabulous. To bad that I wasn´t able to get to Japan this year as I was hoping to do.

just a few punctualizations

this is the 18th year of the current emperor and the bottom of the poster says something like "auspicius" (often used in japanese when someone is born or get married).

In the top of the symbol of eejanaika there are a couple of kanjis (meimei) which mean "to name"...

So the entere sentence could be translated

"In July 19th, Heisei 18th year, after Fujiyama and Dodonpa is born the third son of Fujikyu, named Eejanaika. Congratulations!"

ps. I will ride it as well at the end of july

Awesome posts of the pics. Looks like the engineering into those supports took awhile to determine the stress levels and possibly (predict) the effects from earthquake(s). Im also curious if the hurricanes (what do they call them in Japan?) play a role into the structural dynamics within a coaster. Those are some beefy supports indeed. I can imagine that was about 10-15% of the massive cost. I believe that was the case with the SD-2000 as well. The amount of supports on that 'Magnum-wanna-be' is just astounding how much steel there is.

Oh well, nice pics. I would love to feel how that overbanked turn is going to be like...Yummy!

Nothing about SD2k, anyway I will come back to Nagashima as soon as i can to collect informations...

Yesterday I subscribed to the eejanaika mailing list (only in japanese, sorry) and I will post the translations here when I know something.

Chris, when will you be back to Japan? We can arrange a visit together at Fujikyuu...

edit: I've read a few minutes ago in wikipedia that Nagashima Spaland wants to open again the steel dragon 2000 and is waiting for the required authorization... they are now testing the new trains.

Er, SteelPeppe, I live in Japan right now!

My next trip to Fuji-Q should be at the end of June, while my next trip will be next weekend, I'm going to Parque Espana and Higashiyama Zoo.

I may be going into Tokyo on the 29th of this month to revisit Yomiuriland and get a status update on Halfpipe.

PM me, and we can chat about meeting up!