TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Pick N Mix Video #1 Contest Top 20!

Hey everyone!

So today we watched all the entries and I have to say that we were overwhelmed with all the great work out there.

Here is it, the list of the finalists for the first "Pick N Mix Video Contest"

Arrowfanman

BPM4President

Clint Dulieu

Coasterfanatic

Coasterrider1998

Colincoon

Chissie

DailyBugle

DisWiz

Erik Johnson

J man

Jarvis

Jew

KevinT

Loopy

Luxo

Piso

Twister II

Wes

ZachLewis

Start downloading them, then vote for your favorite here:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/picknmix/picknmix1.htm

Overall we had 43 videos entered, three of which had to be disqualified for going over the time. One of which, while only 1 second over, but unfortunatley rules are rules. (Too bad, this video would have actually made the cut too!)

Congrats to all of you.

--Robb

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes its things like this is what keeps me comin back to tpr for more and more.......... well and that people here rock....... um and that Robb and Elissa prolly run the best damn coaster site I have ever crossed! I am such a TPR fanboy!!!

Well back to the matter! Congrats to all of you that made it this far!! Good luck to you all for the winner spot!!!!! Cant wait to see the Vids and who the winner is!!!

Hi Robb

OK, OK, Guilty as charged I think that I may have been one of those individuals that had just very, very, only slightly crept over the 3mins on my Tarzan & Jane contest video entry it fitted so well that I thought I might just get away with it Yep rules are rules, but I`ll be there for the next one.

Regards nijgreen

^It actually wasn't the music. It was just too many effects if I remember correctly. I have a list of notes that we made on each video if anyone has a question about why they did or didn't make the cut.

In general here are some of my thoughts overall on all of the videos as to which ones made and did not make the cut:

Negatives

- too many effects

- no real editing, just putting the pov to music

- stuff that just didn't stand out

- using the entire lift hill footage

- bad, cutoff endings

Positives

- Creativity

- using clips in ways we hadn't

- NOT using the entire lift hill footage!

- adding in funny bits

- no real editing, just putting the pov to music

Yes, this was a big negative for me also. There were quite a few entries that basically just took the entire POV including the ENTIRE lift hill and just set it to music.

I don't really like to tell people how to edit or what to produce, but a 'creative' use of the video WILL make your entry stand out above your common "music video."

I think when you all see the entries today or tomorrow, you'll see.

--Robb

Since you put it out there Jarvis, let me give you a quick few things...

- It almost didn't make the cut because of all of the effects!!!! We honestly thought you would have had one of the best had it not been for the 'cheesy premier effects'. I want you to understand that this is just our personal belief, and please don't take it has negative criticism, but it is one of those things...as you watch TV, how often do you see effects like that? Not just the Discovery channel roller coaster shows, but television in general. Sometimes an effect can enhance a clip, but when they are used so common, it kind of loses the effect. (Does that make sense!?!?) Again, you had one of the best videos, but sometimes you go over the top with effects.

My original video mentor once told me....

"Effects are like salt and pepper. The right amount can make a bland meal PERFECT, but too much can ruin it."

And by "effects" I mean, stuff like wipes and fades, filters, slowing down or speeding up clips, "picture in picture" windows, adding text or graphics, etc...

In our videos, we almost NEVER use wipes and fades and we only change the speed of video clips when it enhanced the story we are trying to tell.

Hope that helps!

--Robb "It's a food reference so I felt it would make sense to everyone!" Alvey

Since you put it out there Jarvis, let me give you a quick few things...

- It almost didn't make the cut because of all of the effects!!!! We honestly thought you would have had one of the best had it not been for the 'cheesy premier effects'. I want you to understand that this is just our personal belief, and please don't take it has negative criticism, but it is one of those things...as you watch TV, how often do you see effects like that? Not just the Discovery channel roller coaster shows, but television in general. Sometimes an effect can enhance a clip, but when they are used so common, it kind of loses the effect. (Does that make sense!?!?) Again, you had one of the best videos, but sometimes you go over the top with effects.

Thanks for the feedback. And I greatly appreciate the input! I understand the effects are kinda used alot these days but from watching various clips (since im still trying to grasp videography) I thought that was the way to go lol lol. But over time I realize that, as robb said, it can kinda take away from the video so im using less and less but try to make the video "unique".

Jarvis "I guess my introduction over did it huh lol lol" Morant!

I'm actually surprised mine made it. I edited it really quick (like half an hour) and had some cheesy effects and lift hill footage. :shrug:

I'm really looking forward to seeing the other videos. I'm sure there's some awesome stuff in there.

I made the cut thats a surprise. That makes me feel good considering that it was my first edited video ever. Thanks Rob and Elissa for giving me something to do that boring wednesday before thanksgiving.

Goodluck to the other 19 members who made the cut.

-Jeremy "who thinks he was # 20 out of 20 to make the cut" Lynch

I will say this about some of the entries that didn't make the cut....

Many of them really were "on the fence" and so close to making it. The problem was there were a lot of "music videos" which is a GREAT format (obviously we're fans of it!) but even though there were some that were synched up well, used really good music, etc, there were others that did that AND went one step beyond for example used text or art to tell a story or add a humor element to the video.

There were a lot of really good "music video" style entries, but we had to go with the ones that stood out.

I wish we could make it so that all the entries could be downloaded, but that would be a bandwidth nightmare!

--Robb