TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

p. 550 - Hallowfest trip report!

Went out to Fright Fest last night and man it was busy! Pandemonium had a 1 hr wait at 6 PM and I heard Colossus was using multiple gondola sets instead of just one. I only did the haunted attractions (minus Zombie Paintball Apocalypse) and here's what I thought:

Prices for Mazes:

$10 each, $15 for Slasher Pass ( unlimited entry to all 4), and a $25 Express Slasher Pass ( unlimited entry + front of line access).

Spoiler Alert!!!!

Slaughterhouse- The corn path under the building was uninteresting without any fog to separate the actors from your range of vision. For those who visited last year, the in-attraction photo has moved to a much better location with some better opportunity for scared faces in the picture. It definitely got me! Also, the end seems to have a pretty anti-climatic scene with your group walking around some 55-gallon drums with a CGI effect in the background. The pacing seems to be a little off, yet it still delivers scares, especially with the hydraulic "electric cage." 6/10 for me.

Blind Fury- This is probably my favorite haunt out here this year, just as it was last year. The whole beginning scenes are the exact same, with a little show in the first room. After the moving-wall maze, there is now the mirror room. The only thing I miss was the toy monkey room right after the maze section. He has been moved a couple scenes forward, yet it is so foggy (on multiple times though) that you don't even recognize that it's supposed to be a monkey, and you just hear the symbols. The spinning tunnel is one of the best I've been in and the dark zone really heightens the fear. LOTS of loud noises and air cannons this year, which make this more of a high-startle attraction instead of the creepy factor of a toy factory. The doll characters are much, much better than before. 8/10

Insanity Alley- While this hasn't done much for me in the past few years, I would now consider it to be on par with the rest of the Fright Fest attractions. Lots of air cannon machine guns are used and more fog is filled in between the "scenes." My favorite part is still the "sinking dirt" in the first minute or so behind the Batman lockers. That gets me every time, and everyone seems to not expect that at all. This is one haunt to save for dark, as there's no roof whatsoever and the fog disperses quickly out there. Very short, yet somewhat effective. 5/10 just for how short it is.

Total Darkness- Having done a blackout-type maze before, this met my expectations very well. The only problem is that it's very low capacity ( but it has to be being a physical maze in the dark). You and up to 4 others are given a rope so you don't separate and are sent down the theater stairs in the dark. When you turn the first corner, the fun begins. It's extremely loud with eery sounds and screaming echoing through the whole theater. The actors are actually pretty good at finding your group in the dark and whispering in your ear and brushing past you. The total time in the maze is about 3-4 minutes on average, but it feels like a lot longer when in there. It's completely dark except for a slow strobe light about halfway though, and your eyes don't seem to adjust to it. 8/10

I also went through the Circus and Cannibal walkthroughs near Total Darkness and the log flume, respectively. They are in normally backstage areas that the park has opened in order to expand the free entertainment. Very well done! My favorite actor has to be the ghostly lady with the baby carriage "pop-up," or the 3-4 people in black Morph Suits.

This years event is much scarier and thorough than it has been in the past!

• Replies 14.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few weeks ago I had the amazing opportunity to explore the core of Six Flags STL's Entertainment Department and Operations with a behind the scenes tour. With approval from the HR Department, they a

^   granted, this is a pic I took at Cedar Point. . but yeah. . disagree that "nothing looks more tacky than a broken TV"  LOL

I don't even know how to say this because I just can't even believe it... It is with heavy heart to say that Josh (HWFan) passed away today after a lengthy battle. This young man was such an amazing p

Posted Images

I would have to agree. The park has done a very good job this year. I went on Sunday and it was crazy busy. The new walk throughs were really cool and they may just be the start of my 8 year old wanting to do the haunted houses in the future. The fire show they had in front of Mr. Freeze was really cool. A lot of work went into that by the performers. Freaks Unleashed was still the best “show“ out there in terms of watching the people get scared and seeing their reactions. It makes me want to work in a haunted house again. The freak show was very crowded and will attended. I've seen Steve Daly's show and have been a part of it a few times but it doesn't change much. The train wasn't running the show, that was not a good sign of you ask me. But overall really solid.

^ it certainly sounds better than the Wild West shoot out theme they used for years. I'm sorry but that just did not scream Halloween to me. A terrifying Christmas theme sounds way better lol!

I'm not sure if it is chain wide, but I did get the chance to try that out during the summer (July I believe). It is a very disorienting experience, and you don't realize how far back the chairs lean until it goes backward! Definitely much different than riding it forwards.

Fridays are fairly average with crowds. Certain rides will have longer lines, whereas other rides will be almost a walk on. It varies.

Anybody going to Fright Fest should know that the attractions schedule is a little screwed up this year - On Fridays the park opens at 6:00 with Freaks Unleashed, but all of the haunted attractions (paid and free, except for Zombie Paintball which starts at 6:00 everyday) don't open until 7:45. On Saturday Freaks Unleashed is at 6:00, with none of the haunted attractions starting until 6:45 and on Sunday it's the same as Saturday (but the parks closes at 8:00 on Sunday, so the Fright Fest attractions are open for a whole 1:15 hours).

Last year (and basically every year in the past) everything would open at 6:00 every night, but since the park is open for two hours longer this year (Midnight instead of 11:00) on Friday and Saturday, there likely had to be cuts made somewhere to keep within the corporate budgets and the cuts were to the Fright Fest attractions times. I may understand not opening the two outdoor mazes and the train until it's dark, but to not open anything until it's basically dark is really only something that Six Flags would do just to save some operating money.

I'm glad they extended the hours this year though. Granted, I'd prefer 1:00 AM but midnight is still better than 11:00 PM. Now Sunday is still too short. It should at least be 10 PM. What time does the park open on Saturdays for Fright Fest?

Depends on what you intend on doing while there. If youre going to enjoy the park it should be fine. I personally feel that the areas around the park that they had scare actors was tamer this year than last. They got rid of a lot of the random Jason wannabees with chainsaws so its not as bad. If youre concerned about this still you can get necklaces that tell the scare actors not to bother you.

When it comes to the mazes and stuff I dont really know, i only went to ride roller coasters at night.

Quick question...

Never been to Six Flags during Fright Fest. Will it be ok for my 6 (easily frightened) and 8 (more daring than his Dad!) year old kids before 6pm?

Definitely, there's things like trick or treating, story telling, and family shows. At about 6:30-6:45 the actors start to disperse throughout the park.

^The 3 times I've been to Fright Fest this year there were 3-5 chainsaw-wielding "Jasons" in the Britannia area.

Any update on the Hannibarrels removal such as pictures?

Hannibarrels will most likely be removed in the off season.

I dont expect work to begin until Janurary, at the earliest. I thought they might start work early, but if they have not started now, I dont expect it to be anytime soon.

Rumor posted on Screamscape...

Based on a few small puzzle pieces sent in from different sources, I believe any chance of a major transformation of The Boss has fallen in the slim-to-none category. Instead it sounds like any ‘work’ planned for The Boss will only take the form of traditional maintenance, retracking... or perhaps even adding sections of Topper Track to keep the ride’s layout and intent... intact. They like the layout as is... they just want a way to make the ride experience more enjoyable for everyone.

Based on a few small puzzle pieces sent in from different sources, I believe any chance of a major transformation of The Boss has fallen in the slim-to-none category. Instead it sounds like any ‘work’ planned for The Boss will only take the form of traditional maintenance, retracking... or perhaps even adding sections of Topper Track to keep the ride’s layout and intent... intact. They like the layout as is... they just want a way to make the ride experience more enjoyable for everyone.

That stinks.. yet more dissappointing news from our local park for us StL coaster fans.

I must say that is definitely a disappointment.