TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

5 minutes ago, teacherkim said:

Lol, they just did a report on the local news about the park opening on the 20th and that it was the 50th anniversary; the stock footage they were showing included Tidal Wave and Superman and the entrance to MT from about a 100 years ago. Maybe they could get out there and record some footage from this century before the next news blip 🙄

Did they say anything new? I'm more interested if they revealed some upcoming change or something.

2 hours ago, liltrekkie said:

Did they say anything new? I'm more interested if they revealed some upcoming change or something.

I can't remember the last time Six Flags released a new bit of information to local news first. They usually do their own media releases now.

Nope. They revealed nothing other than there was a change to the meal plan (they are now doing 2nd meal 90 min after the first instead of set lunch/dinner times) which I thought was a strange thing to put on local news since that info went out to passholders in the newsletter. Other than that they only stated opening date, that this year was the 50th and that you could buy a single day ticket over spring break for as low as $24.99. It was kind of weird actually. I was like:

Come On What GIF by MOODMAN

On 3/11/2021 at 6:57 PM, teacherkim said:

Lol, they just did a report on the local news about the park opening on the 20th and that it was the 50th anniversary; the stock footage they were showing included Tidal Wave and Superman and the entrance to MT from about a 100 years ago. Maybe they could get out there and record some footage from this century before the next news blip 🙄

Goes to show you only coaster enthusiasts care about the details of a regional Six Flags park. Most people won't care enough to see the discrepancies.

The park was rumored to be looking at options to have a longer Moon Cars route even if it meant a relocation.

Not sure if that's going to happen, but the short and crappy route is in fact not on the website.

I hope Superman gets replaced with another drop tower in the same location down the road.  That hill is ~90 feet above the main entrance per Google Earth, so you get one heck of a view.  I could see them going with an S&S launch tower since it would give a radically different ride blasting you up.

They're not going to replace it with another drop tower. Not enough people would notice the difference. Ridership was already low, because "drop tower 1 is too intense for me." Financially, it was probably a good move, but I see this as one more step back on the roller coaster front. That area is already a dead spot, so a replacement flat would make more sense.

I'm mostly glad our Log Flume didn't make the chopping block. We could have lost a true classic. The Moon Cars had already gone missing from its former appeal, so the nostalgia was long gone. Still, I'd rather have kept a one carriage Superman than our Boomerang being a boomerang, and tainting the once beautiful view of Screamin' Eagle.

I guess I just miss the days of Castaway Kids, Rush Street Flyer, bumper cars, Tidal Wave, and especially Mr. Freeze v1. I didn't give a crap about half those rides then, but I probably would now, minus Tidal Wave of course. Those were my favorite times.

I sound like the people who puzzled me ten years ago. Although... we do have JB's bar, so maybe that makes up for it all?

#bringbackmule-go-round

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, prozach626 said:

They're not going to replace it with another drop tower. Not enough people would notice the difference. Ridership was already low, because "drop tower 1 is too intense for me." Financially, it was probably a good move, but I see this as one more step back on the roller coaster front. That area is already a dead spot, so a replacement flat would make more sense.

I'm mostly glad our Log Flume didn't make the chopping block. We could have lost a true classic. The Moon Cars had already gone missing from its former appeal, so the nostalgia was long gone. Still, I'd rather have kept a one carriage Superman than our Boomerang being a boomerang, and tainting the once beautiful view of Screamin' Eagle.

I guess I just miss the days of Castaway Kids, Rush Street Flyer, bumper cars, Tidal Wave, and especially Mr. Freeze v1. I didn't give a crap about half those rides then, but I probably would now, minus Tidal Wave of course. Those were my favorite times.

I sound like the people who puzzled me ten years ago. Although... we do have JB's bar, so maybe that makes up for it all?

#bringbackmule-go-round

I miss Castaway Kids & Rush Street Flyer. Still remember the music to Castaway Kids. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SixFlagsOMA80 said:

I miss Castaway Kids & Rush Street Flyer. Still remember the music to Castaway Kids. 

I'm now 34, but back in the day those rides were critical to the middle school field trip with your crush!  Castaway Kids you two HAD to get a boat alone and hold hands.  And then on the Rush Street, how great was it to have your crush smash into you when you sat on the outside :lol:

• Haha 1

What a way to celebrate the 50th anniversary.  The Superman tower was a nice complement to the other rides. I'm with Zach and much rather rip out the Boomerang and keep Superman. Heck the bumper cars were better than a Boomerang. Yes, I grew up at SFoMA and rode Jet Scream 5 times on opening day. I did get to ride both the drop tower and Jet Scream/Viper at Six Flags Astroworld.  Both great rides there too!

The Old Chicago games area is going to be a ghost town. The walk back to the Screamin Eagle will be very creepy.  Did they close the pizza place there too?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Canobie Coaster said:

I hope Superman gets replaced with another drop tower in the same location down the road.  That hill is ~90 feet above the main entrance per Google Earth, so you get one heck of a view.  I could see them going with an S&S launch tower since it would give a radically different ride blasting you up.

Please PLEASE not an S&S space shot! S:TOP is one of the few drop towers that give me that insane freefall feeling that just isn't there on the S&S models. I totally agree they should replace it, but I want my stomach to churn just as much if not more waiting to fall at the top of that hillside!

Just now, Vonni said:

I would have expected The Joker to get the chop before Superman

Superman is a maintenance nightmare for them. The joker is actually quite simple. The question on if it's operated is whether they have the man power to do it. 

I'm actually going to miss the Superman, I've gotten used to seeing it as I walk in the park

The pizza place did indeed close. I am guessing that back  half of the park will be quiet for a year or two until they recoup some of the losses from the Covid shutdown. Maybe at some point this year some of the games will reopen just to have some activity, who knows, just speculating. I understand that everyone hates Boomerang and Fireball but at least they bring a little life to the area. I can confirm  that neither Superman or Moon Cars are on the ride ops certification badge for this year. 

There is a tall skinny ride op at Skyscreamer and Eagle this year that will keep me apprised of whatever info he hears about😜 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, castaway_kid said:

Primo's North Pizza was turned into a second employee dining facility. This makes it much nicer for team members in north park as they don't have to use up 10 minutes of their 30 minute break walking to and from their location.

I noticed the Primo change last year. Just didn't know it was for dining.