TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

After being sick most of the weekend due to accidentally poisoning myself when I overused some Raid bug spray, luckily the anti-bugs spray didn't apply to Bugs Bunny. I was able to organize the pictures and get some more, so here is part one of three parts to finish up the off season tour. While there are still no pictures allowed inside JLBM, I'll give you a written update on the mind-blowing attraction.

Now, I felt that it would be best to start with a picture of the guy who made it all possible. If you're on this thread a lot, you've heard the name Dave Roemer (mostly referred to as just Dave for short), who is the fantastic Park President of Six Flags St. Louis. Starting in the mail room when the park was just a year or two old, he has worked his way up to the top without losing his kind, friendly, and loving attitude. He loves talking with Guests & enthusiasts, and he chuckled when I mentioned to him that a lot of enthusiasts liked the fact that when they would ask him about things like Iron Boss, he doesn't sugar-coat it or leave them with some vague answer. Outside of my family, he may be my favorite person in the world (he doesn't read these forums, so no, I'm not sucking up) just based on his attitude. A great way to describe his in-park attitude would be like Pat Koch at Holiday World, always with his broom & dustpan at his side. But anyway, it's picture time:

EDIT: Crap on a crap stick! When I pressed submit, it said that I didn't have access to this file & also deleted all of my long, explanatory captions for each picture. I'm on my computer so not sure what happened. Anyone from TPR that could tell me what I'm doing wrong. I had 24 great pictures in that...

EDIT 2: I promise to get to all of the questions/comments once I get these pictures up, so I promise I'm not ignoring you by any means. I'm just about to throw my computer out the window though.

After spending hours and hours trying to upload pictures, type captions that include plenty of park information in terms of what is being done/has been done, and moving the now 75+ pictures from my phone to google drive to my computer and organizing them to post in a way that makes the most sense, I need to take a break before I seriously throw my computer. I spent 90 minutes typing up part one and doing everything else with it to post, and now besides the pictures not posting, all of the captions are gone for good as well. I will try again tomorrow maybe, but I'm too frustrated to mess with it right now. Sorry everyone. I got some really awesome pictures and info that I'll try to get posted. I'm just way too burnt out (partially because I'm still not fully recovered from being sick), and either way, I'll answer your questions and everything tomorrow.

I apologize and promise that I'm not stupid. I followed the rules with file sizes and number of pictures, but it just didn't work. Peace out.

Hey HWFan, quick question for you. I have a membership with the dining option. I thought I read somewhere that your membership was automatically upgraded to the new dining option. Can you confirm or deny this?

Hey HWFan, quick question for you. I have a membership with the dining option. I thought I read somewhere that your membership was automatically upgraded to the new dining option. Can you confirm or deny this?

RKO, I also have the membership with the dining option and contacted customer service, they said it is automatically upgraded to the deluxe pass.

Awesome, I wasn't sure and never thought to call. I guess I'm an idiot. But facts aside, that's an awesome deal. Plus pair that with the season long free refill cup that is a really great deal.

Ugh. Thanks for your patience recently. Without further ado, here we go (again)! I'm just going to do the five-pics-per-post thing to be safe, plus it creates more pages on this forum...we're coming for you Raven Maven!!!!! (eh, or not....) Either way, let me know what you think! Thanks again!

IMG_1705.thumb.JPG.ebf5d55e8ed1d737a65d76234a4a1b41.JPG

Under the trestle and through the park, to JLBM we go!

IMG_1702.thumb.JPG.82300125a13290c8cdade2496a2ca7f7.JPG

Like the real city of Metropolis, IL, this seems to be a small town, but don't get too comfortable, as you might just get drafted!

On the right side, where you can see the small snack/drink location that is on the side of the Hall of Justice gift shop, you'll notice the nice red awning. Get ready to get your Coke Freestyle cravings quenched (or, if you don't have cravings for it, the other members in your group will finally stop saying things like "OMG it's SOOOO amazing I like can't believe you haven't tried it!!!11!!1!"). Like the replacement stand in the front mall I showed you, this will increase serving capacity for when it's needed. I am starting to wonder if the red, plastic-looking awnings for the Coke stands have to do with a request from Coca-Cola, as they really seem to be popping up all over. But anyway, on the left, you can see the show building for JLBM. Make sure to check out the bit of new concrete that you can kinda see in that pic.

IMG_1699.thumb.JPG.0dc6d3917bdf01cda95583fd5c15b850.JPG

A quick look at the new, enlarged snack/drink stand.

IMG_1700.thumb.JPG.5f129374114a8bc33ca1dbbaccb6a321.JPG

The asphalt was actually poured this weekend and is just an example of a what seemed like at least a dozen dump trucks full of fresh asphalt that created some nice, fresh pavement around the park. As someone in a wheelchair who has to pay attention to every little bump (I fell out of my chair twice last season alone haha), it is a

This area is the least touched it seems like, but as it is something that can be done very quickly at the last minute, it's not a big deal if there is some left-over Scooby swamp stuff. While I will explain a bit about the queue in my big ride write-up later tonight or tomorrow, just to make sure it is prepared for the crowds, there will be some outdoor overflow queue available. While you'll see more of that in the next picture, what is good to take note of is how the asphalt meets with the concrete very smoothly. The side of the building will be like the ride's garage. The garage is the place where the switch track can move ride vehicles on or off the main circuit. Having a nice big opening and area that a truck can get close to will make delivering the vehicles & any future equipment moving easier.

IMG_1701.thumb.JPG.d986cb822f5f8f8329f56d399b9fe2e2.JPG

Here you can really get a good look at the big door to the garage. On the right of the big opening is a smaller one that will be the portal through which Guests continue through the queue, should the outdoor, (hopefully) covered, overflow queue will be. Luckily the GIANT a/c unit is fully installed in the garage & holy cow is it a monster. It's absolutely massive & will be able to easily keep you cool during your indoor wait & adventure.

Stay tuned for more coming up soon... hopefully

As we continue on our tour of the park, I wanted to take this opportunity to share some information with you regarding the facade of the ride. First of, based off the pictures I've seen from Texas, the facade of the ride at SFSL is gonna look 100 times better, which is great as the Texas facade is looking great! Here's how I came to this opinion though: In Texas, the forced perspective, thematic value, and overall impact that the facade has is partially diminished by the giant, 40 foot, sheet-metal-sided building that rises behind the majestic piece of Americana that is the Hall of Justice. In SFSL, besides being able to see the building from all over the park (however, that is partially due to the non-leaf-covered trees at the moment, the facade is built in a way that makes it the center of attention and really just larger-than-life. You could see the metal supports that were up in the last picture, making the building seem taller than it really is. The woman in the picture below also told me that our facade is actually bigger & better than its lone-star counterpart anyway, proving that not everything is bigger in Texas...

IMG_1687.thumb.JPG.272bf218e3db820e4cb2525f4573a38b.JPG

This is Donna. She is the Vice President of Project Management at Sally Dark Rides.

The main reason I wanted to feature her first in this post was due to her overwhelming hospitality & patience while I asked what seemed like a billion questions. She and Rich Hill, Sally's top dog, are extremely close, so whenever Sally has a big, complex project, Donna is going to be there! She has been staying at the Holiday Inn across from the park between occasional trips to Texas, Europe, or Florida to quickly check in on another of Sally's numerous world-class dark ride projects. She was fascinating to talk to, and some of you may have met her before. She told me that both she and Rich give tours to enthusiast groups now and then when they visit Sally's HQ down south. Even when things put the ride's construction behind schedule, she is the one responsible for making up for whatever issue it may have been from whichever of the numerous contractors involved, so no matter when the ride does open exactly, you can know that Donna made sure it was the earliest day possible!

IMG_1684.thumb.JPG.d6fc45eb662183bb2fca370ca4beeece.JPG

After the huge mess that was the DC Comics area just a few days and weeks ago, the area is almost cleared out in anticipation of welcoming Guests on Friday! I have a picture of the newly expanded patio for JB's Smokehouse in the next post.

IMG_1682.thumb.JPG.90d5b9ce80839b68efce2717d26b1052.JPG

Just remember who did Frozen first...

IMG_1681.thumb.JPG.a7182abdc68b02b8d9e54c6a16a0aad2.JPG

The existing Justice League gift shop.

IMG_1680.thumb.JPG.83b5e71405c41ed725a0096e0d8d1966.JPG

Looking back towards the newly-renovated Palace Theater.

One smaller addition/change for the park this summer is the complete renovation (as in tearing everything that isn't necessary to structurally support the building) of the small shop that Shazam! has used as an exit. While it may not be the most exciting thing, the new heroes vs. villains shop concept looks really good, both in the quality of the shop itself as well as the diversity of the new merchandise it offers. Shazam! and JLBM with both exit through the shop now. The back of the store, through which Guests will enter on their way out of the two rides, is really well done with a nice awning & what seems like really nice thematic value.

IMG_1683.thumb.JPG.0c8eb5e7aa00729b799e00a40ebe7f28.JPG

Here is a view of the refurbished shop with JLBM on the left.

IMG_1697.thumb.JPG.5f70d6ce0c58c40f5e77cc46baabd1d5.JPG

They were really putting Shazam! through its paces Sunday, and with the way that the construction area is set up, I would really anticipate it to be open on Friday.

Unfortunately a lot of the pictures I took of some things up close in the area were corrupted somehow, so I apologize that this is the best I have to show you.

IMG_1688.thumb.JPG.e560696f77b53d6159e715846078a0da.JPG

While making my way back down the hill to the park again Sunday afternoon, it sounded like the park was open with American Thunder, the Log Flume, Shazam!, Xcalibur, and lot of other rides all testing simultaneously. It was refreshing. I had a great pic of Xcalibur that was amazing, but unfortunately its file was corrupted.

IMG_1703.thumb.JPG.b9c3dd665cb3f1d6fbb460e64f9440c1.JPG

I was able to get a better picture of the front of the Palace Theater at least. It will be looking pristine by Friday, as the very last part to be finished.

More pictures now!

IMG_2.thumb.JPG.a106b12d1a535427ae84aee1b1249789.JPG

Here's a look at the updated park map (Note: 'You Are Here' marker may not be fully accurate based on where you and your computer are right now).

IMG_1.thumb.JPG.c813a917c8c7f08895bf45f0ae8ad78c.JPG

If you are on this thread a lot, you've certainly heard the name, Dave Roemer (or just Dave for short), mentioned a lot. In case you haven't had the pleasure of meeting him, here's a picture of our down-to-earth, extremely kind, Park President who worked his was up from the mail room in 1973. (He doesn't read this forum, so I am being completely genuine with my description.)

The attitude, that I would compare to Pat Koch, he brings to the park is why a lot of fun little things or minor updates that can really enhance Guest experience make it to reality. In the picture above, he is sitting in front of the new, greatly expanded patio that will be really nice to have, especially during the busier days of the summer.

IMG_1633.thumb.JPG.117d8a687e71befc40e15bd0af28a7c4.JPG

Here are two full-time employees who were kind enough to pose for a pictures while preparing the new store to open in less than a week.

Now, due to my limited time, I'm just going to post a lot of picture of park updates (LOTS of paint) with limited commentary:

IMG_1629.thumb.JPG.6720004895f71d53b1f176ab7d9fa3b3.JPG

IMG_1628.thumb.JPG.534215bd2dd8d2b35b286bf20805821c.JPG

IMG_3.thumb.JPG.6dcdd5e190496a5df72b4de1874bb11f.JPG

IMG_4.thumb.JPG.0ae61743752010e1e8e0101f333b5567.JPG

IMG_5.thumb.JPG.033cf44677aaffaffb13d02d627ab38f.JPG

IMG_6.thumb.JPG.366b0724b680b5232989d504b615b362.JPG

The old wooden boardwalk in front of Miss Kitty's Saloon was replaced with some really nice stamped concrete. This in addition to new colorful accents on the facade, even though the paint was in okay condition, are really great to see!

IMG_7.thumb.JPG.814aa3e108425da55af6599c1517c887.JPG

IMG_8.thumb.JPG.05862d812d427a83b4062a9612de1963.JPG

On Saturday, with hundreds of team members in the park for training, management decided to throw us a great BBQ rather than having to go off-site or pay for our food. It was definitely appreciated by everyone.

IMG_9.thumb.JPG.653355e7533c47ab843b550f258dceb0.JPG

IMG_10.thumb.JPG.5c8e21b990e69709432d35407769bf00.JPG

Instead of being the sponsor for the go karts like they had in the past, O'Reilly's is the sponsor of the Moon Cars season that includes some nice throwback 'Memory Lane' signs/accents.

IMG_1617.thumb.JPG.c3d33d66d65c6a3b46bac796d34a9783.JPG

IMG_1618.thumb.JPG.51e4448e69ebfe2d02aef1b0f209acb3.JPG

IMG_1622.thumb.JPG.bfe17f6059415d7c9282b1c2fb89ef0e.JPG

IMG_1624.thumb.JPG.aa7d37d7a51a9a266534cdabb0bfbace.JPG

My supervisor made fun of me for getting so excited when I saw the Oceaneering trailer.

I'll be back with more pictures and lots of commentary soon (I am using this post as a place holder to edit in the pictures later). Unfortunately, one of our long-time park directors lost his sister, so please keep their family in your thoughts/prayers. He is one of the best directors, being the main one behind the continuing expansion of Fright Fest & really listens to Guest feedback, with his habit of stopping by GR at the end of the night to ask us what people have been saying, good or bad, about whatever, to get some overall feedback before also going through the individual Guest feedback that is in the system.

He's a great guy, and its great to see the great teamwork by management to make sure everything is ready, even if one major piece of the puzzle needs some time off. It honestly is a great place to work overall. Anyway, I'll try to finish posting the pictures, commentary, ride update, and answering whatever questions/comments you have when I return from the wake. I hope you've enjoyed the pictures thus far!

-Josh R.

The more I think about JLBFM the more excited I get! I'm very sure this ride is going to be on the same level as Transformers or Spiderman at Universal. PROBABLY BETTER! At least with this ride you can actually be part of the action instead of sitting there going through scene by scene. I'm ready to know what the other "hidden surprises" will be. The anticipation is too much! LOL.

I don't believe that the cars for JLBFM are at the park yet (along with the two main animatronics?), if they are then they are being hidden well.

Both animatronics are already installed in their spots. The encounter with the Joker is going to be absolutely jaw dropping.