TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

p. 550 - Hallowfest trip report!

Hey guys.

First post here. My family just got a season pass after realizing how much we'd save over paying each time.

I have a couple of questions.

We hit Fright Fest on the rainy Friday night a few weeks ago. Not a lot of people there and it was our first time. We planned to go back on Halloween night. Are the crowds going to be ridiculous that night? Our 9 year old want to wear her costume. Will there be other wearing them that night? Trick or Treating, etc. I know it's all guessing at this point.

Second, we are looking at adding on the meal plan. DO you guys do this and do you think it's worth it?

Third, we are a family of 3. Since they don't check kids fingerprints would it work to buy a 4th season pass and she can invite different friends to use it?

Just some questions we were wondering about.

Thanks! This looks like a great forum.

Meal plan- for 3 of you, its probably around 45 each meal, though I personally hardly eat there as it's expensive and don't want to get sick. But, obviously worth it if you go at least 4 times.

Season pass- I think it'll work for anyone, as long as they have the pass, since they just scan the bar code after the first visit, though there is the Bring a Friend day(I learned the hard way that that's one of the worst times to go).

Hey guys.

First post here. My family just got a season pass after realizing how much we'd save over paying each time.

I have a couple of questions.

We hit Fright Fest on the rainy Friday night a few weeks ago. Not a lot of people there and it was our first time. We planned to go back on Halloween night. Are the crowds going to be ridiculous that night? Our 9 year old want to wear her costume. Will there be other wearing them that night? Trick or Treating, etc. I know it's all guessing at this point.

Second, we are looking at adding on the meal plan. DO you guys do this and do you think it's worth it?

Third, we are a family of 3. Since they don't check kids fingerprints would it work to buy a 4th season pass and she can invite different friends to use it?

Just some questions we were wondering about.

Thanks! This looks like a great forum.

Freight Fest is usually crowded but I think this past weekend was extra, extra crowded because of the nice weather. My family and I usually do Freight Fest on Sundays. Generally not as crowded as Saturdays.

Yes, you're daughter can wear her costume but no masks. My boys wore theirs yesterday. There is usually Trick-or-treating but on certain days. They have the story telling in the Miss Kitty Solon theater and give out candy bags to kids 12 and under.

The dining passes are most defiantly worth getting especially if you go often like we do! There is 7 of us but usually it's just my 3 younger boys and I that go. Husband works a lot of weekend and my two older kids (have their own car) typically do their own thing with friends. My daughter/son buy their own dining passes/meals. I have 2 passes for the four of us and it feeds us every time! Being just 3 of you, 2 dining passes is all you will probably need.

As far as the forth season pass....I don't see why it won't work since kids don't have to scan their finger prints! Clever idea.....

I had the pleasure of meeting the park manager yesterday, Dave! He is a very nice man! I was able to ask some question about the future of the park and though a couple of his answers were not quite direct (most were), here is what I deduced from our conversation.....

The Boss has been under heavy consideration for a RMC re-tracking for awhile. After much consideration of the cost being around $14-$15 million, he would rather spend $1-$2 million replacing the cars (getting more up to date cars similar to what American Thunder has) and maybe lifting the first drop 10-20 feet and spending the rest on an actual new coaster. Lifting the drop, he claims, will not only spend up the ride but give it the extra momentum needed so the ride can operate in the colder weather. Due to the terrain the Boss is built on now with the current lift, in cold weather the trains stop half way in between the ride!

I already knew the park owns 503 acres of land currently using just 285 acres. Dave said he would rather expand the park, keeping the current 9 coasters ( and he stressed KEEPING the 9) and add something new. He wants Six Flags St. Louis to keep the title as "Missouri's Coaster Capital"!

He also said, we would NOT be getting a giga/mega-coaster. Though it has been considered, with the price tag, Six Flags (over all) has to invest big were there is a market. Chicago, LA....etc....have a market of over 25 million while ours is more like 3-4 million....

So, though he didn't say for SURE we are getting a new coaster, I can read in between the lines. If Six Flags was/is giving our park $15 million to re-track the Boss, this can only mean the Boss will get the new cars and something new will be coming real soon to our park! I'm thinking maybe a euro-coaster or maybe a winged!

We also talked a bit about the Justice League ride. He claims there are still some awesome details that haven't been releases/discussed! This is truly going to be a one-of-a-kind unique ride!!

That's good he has the right intentions but keep in mind, park GMs/Presidents don't make the final decisions about what attractions are added/removed.

I understand. But I think when he stressed keeping the 9 and adding, he was saying this is coming from Six Flags (over all) not just him. I can see the company wanting to keep the name "Coaster Capital". He did state most of theses "ideas" are from "big corporate" meetings, not just his own. Guess I should have stated that above.

I also talked with Dave at FF about two weeks ago, he was very high on the Justice League ride. We also talked about an RMC conversion of the Boss and he said the same things, don't expect it. If the park had $18 million to spend (this was the number he threw out) they would much rather get a new steel coaster, not that it is likely either. His main goals seemed to be moving the carousel towards the front of the park near the palace gardens area and adding a "real" kiddie coaster. Just from talking with him it would seem any major steel installation is at least 5 years away. They would not consider removing any coaster until another one was added.

Any thought on where a Kiddie coaster could go without removing an additional coaster? I would assume they would want to keep it near BBNP, so maybe removing Screaming Eagle's old unused queue area and taking part of the hillside from the Old Glory amphitheater. I really see the amphitheater as serving no purpose in recent years as they only fill it 3-4 times a year.

so maybe rough idea on a timeline

2014-Justice League

2015-Moving carousel and Water park addition? At this point it would have been 3-4 years since Bonzai was added.

2016-Kiddie Coaster

2017-Removal of Ninja, replaced with Wing Rider or possibly RMC design? We would be one of the only parks without an RMC.

I also talked with Dave at FF about two weeks ago, he was very high on the Justice League ride. We also talked about an RMC conversion of the Boss and he said the same things, don't expect it. If the park had $18 million to spend (this was the number he threw out) they would much rather get a new steel coaster, not that it is likely either. His main goals seemed to be moving the carousel towards the front of the park near the palace gardens area and adding a "real" kiddie coaster. Just from talking with him it would seem any major steel installation is at least 5 years away. They would not consider removing any coaster until another one was added.

Any thought on where a Kiddie coaster could go without removing an additional coaster? I would assume they would want to keep it near BBNP, so maybe removing Screaming Eagle's old unused queue area and taking part of the hillside from the Old Glory amphitheater. I really see the amphitheater as serving no purpose in recent years as they only fill it 3-4 times a year.

so maybe rough idea on a timeline

2014-Justice League

2015-Moving carousel and Water park addition? At this point it would have been 3-4 years since Bonzai was added.

2016-Kiddie Coaster

2017-Removal of Ninja, replaced with Wing Rider or possibly RMC design? We would be one of the only parks without an RMC.

It's nice you brought up the kiddie coaster because (though I didn't discuss with Dave yesterday) I have been heard this rumor! The old Screaming Eagle queue line sounds like a descent spot without removing other rides.

I was also thinking a water ride and maybe the kiddie coaster for 2016.

I also agree the new coaster is probably 4-5 years away, but he seemed pretty adamant about the company not taking out/removing any current coasters to add the 10th one. He really expressed the likelihood of the park being expanded for the new coaster.

But not to say "they" won't change their minds....I hope not, I hope they expand with all the land they have available....

I think he's adamant about not removing a coaster until another another one is added. I think it should be said that the kidie coaster isn't going to be along the lines of the Garvity Powerered Rolled Machine or whatever we had 10-15 years ago, but more along the lines of Wile E Coyote's Canyon Blaster or similiar. The do not want to lost the title of "Coaster Capital". So we would always have at least 10 coasters after the kiddie coaster would be installed.

The Boss has been under heavy consideration for a RMC re-tracking for awhile. After much consideration of the cost being around $14-$15 million, he would rather spend $1-$2 million replacing the cars (getting more up to date cars similar to what American Thunder has) and maybe lifting the first drop 10-20 feet and spending the rest on an actual new coaster. Lifting the drop, he claims, will not only spend up the ride but give it the extra momentum needed so the ride can operate in the colder weather. Due to the terrain the Boss is built on now with the current lift, in cold weather the trains stop half way in between the ride!

Oh God. We all know how well Millennium Flyer trains worked on Gwazi and how Timberliners worked on Hades 360. I can't wait until they start advertising the Boss as a new coaster with its 15 foot higher drop...

Chicago, LA....etc....have a market of over 25 million while ours is more like 3-4 million....

Exactly. I've been saying this for years.

Why don't people realize that things like "Coaster Capital" are completely arbitrary terms that can mean a ton of different things and therefore any park that wants to call themselves the "coaster capital" can unless someone trademarks the phrase?

Sure it can, but I think when most people hear "Coaster Capitol of Missouri", they think has the most coasters. Or at least that is what came across for me when I first heard SFSTL use this. And I know this is what is meant by Six Flags...especially after talking with Dave. So to keep this "meaning" they have to keep more coasters than Worlds of Fun and Silver Dollar City.

Edited by pkgdel5

It would really suck if SF added RMC to all of the parks except SFStL!

Yes it would, but now that it seems like it's happening, is it really a surprise to you? I don't think so. Once again: the shaft.

So we're getting a new steel coaster... maybe... in 5 years? Are you ****ing kidding me!? So it will be over twenty years in between Mr. Freeze and the new modern coaster? 2/3rds of my life will have gone by without a state of the art Steel addition SFStl... New coaster enthusiasts have been born and will mature in the time from the last modern steel coaster until the next one. Just think, you'll be able to say that the new kid on the Cardinals wasn't even alive when the last new thrilling steel coaster hit SFStl. Who wants to take bets on who will build the next large coaster addition first: Holiday World or SFStl? New for 2018 Indiana Beach announces B&M Dive Machine. Meanwhile, the coaster capital of the world announces "Floop-de-doo", the 30ft kiddie coaster, and "The March of the Flamboyant" an all new parade. For 2019: Take your last ride on B:TR to make way for the new ropes course.

It never ceases to amaze me about the constant string of disappointments that come from this park.

It would really suck if SF added RMC to all of the parks except SFStL!

So we're getting a new steel coaster... maybe... in 5 years? Are you ****ing kidding me!? So it will be over twenty years in between Mr. Freeze and the new modern coaster?

I was thinking 4-5 years, especially since getting the Justice League ride (major $$$ being spent...the largest, money wise, Sally Corp. has ever done) but I could be wrong. I didn't get a good feel of "when" from him as far as a new coaster but he also kept stressing for me to join ACE to partake in the up coming event in 2016!

Do you think this could mean something big for 2017?

Coaster Capital is also arbitrary if your coasters are not enjoyable or re-rideable. It's better to be the awesome coasters capital than the suck-a$$ coasters capital (and that's not a dig at sfstl but a general statement to any park). Therefore, I think its definitely worth the money/investment to enhance quality than quantity in certain cases.

Unfortunately since the debate about what park has the better coasters is completely opinion based they can claim whatever they want. If Waldameer for example wanted to say that they were the coaster capital of the lake Erie shore they could do that because it could mean anything. They could rationalize that they're just saying they have the best coasters on the Lake Erie shore (not the most) and since "best" is an arbitrary term nobody could question them even though everyone and their mother knows it's a ridiculous claim because of Cedar Point.

I love how people act like Six Flags won't remove a coaster because this title is important to them when the chain has proven that they're willing to call anything whatever they want in the name of marketing (and who could blame them?). Do you really think the same chain that's debuting 4 exciting, innovating super loop roller coasters next year won't remove a coaster because then they couldn't in good faith call themselves the coaster capital? That's ridiculous... they can call themselves whatever they want. And even if they did care they could just debut an exciting steel super loop coaster in 2016!

Coaster Capital is also arbitrary if your coasters are not enjoyable or re-rideable. It's better to be the awesome coasters capital than the suck-a$$ coasters capital (and that's not a dig at sfstl but a general statement to any park). Therefore, I think its definitely worth the money/investment to enhance quality than quantity in certain cases.

This is easy for coaster enthusiast to say...like you and I. And when Dave was explaining the market to me, I understood where he was coming from. St. Louis is defiantly know as a baseball town and that's about the extend of it. St. Louis-ans (which I am) for the most part don't keep up with current roller coaster news...what's hot and what's not. Now, I'm not exactly sure about bigger cities like Chicago and LA, but it was most defiantly clear from Dave, we don't compare! So even if we don't have the same quality as SFMM or SFGAm.....St. Louis appreciates what it has. When I told family and friends the Boomerang was an old used coaster from Texas the reactions were "What?? This isn't a brand new coaster?" They've never been on a Vekoma coaster before nevertheless heard of one. Though many travel, they don't travel for amusement parks....I do so Boomerang was not new to me. It is very "new" for St. Louis.

• A.J. locked and unlocked this topic