TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

In regards to the carousel thing, I'd assume what's happened here is what happens a lot of times if you work with a special artisan- the work takes WAY longer than initially indicated, either because they misestimated the time and it actually DOES take a lot longer, or they've taken on too many projects and the thing you hired them to do has gotten pushed out because they are working on other projects as well.

I've worked with a lot of creative types that do amazing work (custom paint jobs, fabrication, etc) and the throughline for most of them is that time management and/or organization usually is NOT their thing. Sometimes communication isn't either, and it can be VERY frustrating.

No clue what is going on in this particular situation per se, but given the ludicrousness of the timeframe here for the carousel to be down, I'd assume it's something like this.

On 4/15/2023 at 1:44 PM, jamesk25 said:

Posted on Facebook, excited to hear more in the coming weeks 👍

Screenshot_2023-04-15-13-42-21-90_3aea4af51f236e4932235fdada7d1643.thumb.jpg.977a201058764070c01164493439a14b.jpg

Should start seeing relatively rapid progress on this then - wish I'd been there this weekend to look for footing work. Vertical construction on these small coasters go really fast. Canada's Wonderland didn't take much more than a couple weeks from start to final track piece.

14 hours ago, prozach626 said:

This is the first new steel roller coaster track SFStl has had in the park in 16 years. There have been people born and driving who have never seen this happen before.

Yikes what a way to put it. But now that you mention it that describes my daughter - born after Pandemonium (same year as Evil Knievel) and gets her permit this year. It's even been a decade since ANY track has been on site for construction.

2 hours ago, grsupercity said:

Chance does amazing rehabing rides. They should have just out sourced it to them. I think PTC does the same 

Not sure how many PTC carousels get renovated by Chance though since PTC just offers the service themselves direct. 

• Like 2

My wife and I were there on that miserable Sunday (weather wise).  Footing work for the new coaster really has not started.  They did have a bulldozer parked on the old go-kart track, so it very well could be getting close to grading, and getting all the markers set for construction.  It will be interesting to see what they do with the old go-kart track and dragon swing, and to see if any beautification will happen for the queue, or a reroute of some of the boss walk of shame.

Lots of tree limbs down throughout the park.  One heck of a storm system came through Saturday evening, and it showed.  Park employees were doing a decent job trying to get things back to somewhat normalcy.

Front of the park restrooms are still under construction.  The area near thunder river entrance and the old Excalibur entrance  which used to have some kids/basketball games... now has some electronic claw machines.

Primos was open again, and it has a much bigger, enclosed dining area.  Another place to get out of the weather when needed.

It was a low-sensory Sunday at the park.  Its very odd to walk through, and not hear any background music.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, Danrarbc said:

Anyone catch the Cinco de Mayo event that was added?

Got the newsletter today, honestly doesn't look that interesting. The fact that the main event indicates that it is not park wide, instead supposedly located in front of the Mooseburger and with the typical overpriced six flags "festive" food.

I don't see any work on footers at all. Kinda disappointing. Looks like a huge amount of the materials are on site though including what I'd assume will be used for the station.

Also these wood bridges for Log Flume to maintain ADA on the second side seem new.

20230430_161951.jpg

20230430_161954.jpg

20230430_161955.jpg

20230430_162000.jpg

20230430_162008.jpg

20230430_164029.jpg

20230430_162038.jpg

20230430_162015.jpg

20230430_170259.jpg

• Thanks 1

The bridges are temporary. Usually, both sides are only open on really busy days, plus there has to be enough staff to do it. When only one side is open they usually use the right (as you descend the stairs to get on) because of ADA access BUT that side is currently down for a mechanical issue; hence the bridges for ADA access to the left side. Take advantage of the left being open when you are at the park, it's a lot harder to get rides on that side, lol.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, teacherkim said:

Take advantage of the left being open when you are at the park, it's a lot harder to get rides on that side, lol.

Are people counting log flume credits now? ;)

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, AmyUD06 said:

I know there are some people that count flume credits the same as most count coasters. 

There are even flat ride credit counters.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AmyUD06 said:

I'm sure there are some that do, and I believe there is an official log flume appreciation group. However, I wasn't really thinking of that when I posted, it's just that the left side is not open nearly as often as the right and it is a slightly different track/experience. Plus you are out of range of the pay to blast people soakers on the left.

22 minutes ago, teacherkim said:

I'm sure there are some that do, and I believe there is an official log flume appreciation group. However, I wasn't really thinking of that when I posted, it's just that the left side is not open nearly as often as the right and it is a slightly different track/experience. Plus you are out of range of the pay to blast people soakers on the left.

That last bit would make it enticing enough for me!

13 hours ago, tanthonyam said:

Any info at all of where Xcalibur is ending up?

Almost certainly nowhere, the park could not get it operational. After the extensive refurb they did, they intended to keep it running as long as possible and I know the maintenance staff was very disheartened that it went down so soon after said refurb.

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, bert425 said:

^ or . . . it's again proving how long a properly done restoration takes, and makes all y'all bitching about SFStL's timeline look even sadder.

The fun part is that carousel will end up being down for 6 years, and people are fed up with SFStL taking 2.5 years.

3 hours ago, bert425 said:

^ or . . . it's again proving how long a properly done restoration takes, and makes all y'all bitching about SFStL's timeline look even sadder.

Nope. Will continue to make fun of the park. It's a Six Flags. No one will care about this. It will be trashed again in less than ten years.

• Like 4

That's the modern standard, Steve.

A church I attended when I was a child was completely refurbished in about 6 months, inside and out. It's massive. Original artwork throughout the huge insanely tall ceilings. Every pew was refinished. The stained glass was repaired. There was remodeling of areas. All of the stonework on the outside was cleaned. New concrete was added to the front. All while we used it.

In half the timeline the carousel has taken to be refurbished:

-Businesses from the ground up have opened in my town.

-A massive park with a, splash pad, and play playground has been a behind my house.

-Multiple roller coasters have been constructed

-A new fire station was planned and constructed in my town.

-I started a new position at work, got fully trained, left that job, started another one, and am already familiar enough with it to be training others.

-I've owned four different cars

-And I've had four family members die...

Oh, and I just learned that the cars are on the track at Indiana Beach for a roller coaster that killed someone, was dismantled, completely refurbished, and reassembled in another country.

Wasn't Kentucky Kingdom refurbished in less time, including the construction of a new roller coaster?

Lastly, I can imagine the Smithsonian is going to put in a lot more work on their restoration than SFSTL is.

Yet, people want to tell me that I should feel unreasonable, just because another carousel is taking a hilarious amount of time to refurbish?

Nope. Don't care. Sorry. I've eaten a lot of crow in my life, but I'm not settling for this as a "gotcha" moment.

• Like 2