TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

20 minutes ago, jamesk25 said:

That's what I was wondering, I don't think they would thinking back to how they where going to fit Catwoman into the current demolished half of the go carts. Unless they have some deeper pockets now to spend.

Just an idea of any potential "new area" plan they could possible undertake over a few year period that'd work without doing anything besides removing Dragon Swing.1913168896_SitePlan.thumb.jpg.d7aae171f2b047badffe740fdd9f89b6.jpg

Edit: I'd like to clarify that I don't expect something like this to happen. But with capital expenditures back on the table and this particular addition only needing about half the space the go karts sat on (AND Dragon Swing also potentially out) there is certainly some room here to do a little something new for the park. And these smaller flats are quite cheap especially when bought as a package.

• Like 2

Honestly remove the catwalk of the Boss queue and use the rest of the old go cart by the station as overflow and go up from there into the station. That will fill that area up nicely like you have it and give the Dragon Wing area a chance to get another big attraction they could squeeze in. The park "could" have a nice new corner aimed at middle age to family market.

Along with that, I am actually glad to see them bring a child friendly Halloween event to the park, gives more local parents safe fun options. Hope it goes well for them. Now they just need to bring back HITP.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Danrarbc said:

Edit: I'd like to clarify that I don't expect something like this to happen. But with capital expenditures back on the table and this particular addition only needing about half the space the go karts sat on (AND Dragon Swing also potentially out) there is certainly some room here to do a little something new for the park. And these smaller flats are quite cheap especially when bought as a package.

Absolutely! We are just fan talking, we love our park, and it can be fun theorizing what could be, as long as we can keep it somewhat realistic :roll:

Honestly if they move some of the other bigger flats into this area, like Joker or Spinsanity, they could fill out this area and make room in others.

11 minutes ago, prozach626 said:

I'd trade it all for a mule-go-round.

That sounds rather expensive :lmao:

15 minutes ago, jamesk25 said:

On another topic, what is the current expectation that we will see Mr. Freeze launch forward again in the next few years after SFOT just turned their trains around.

Call it Mr Freeze Remix [Mr Freeze-mix?] and have one side forward and the other backward. At least if the programing can handle it.

Honestly though if what SFoT was doing with theirs mattered to SFStL they'd have already announced the change is happening here. I wouldn't really expect any change unless they were convinced of it internally.

• Haha 1

A real remix would do a Top Thrill Dragster teardown on Freeze and reimagine it to be a regional hit once again. New trains, new LIMs, faster launch, taller spike, a inversion, double helix... Oh wait this is Six Flags (and very unrealistic at really any park)  :lmao:

But I get it, this coater has not gotten the love like it's sister down in SFOT. I mean our "animatronic" is still broken. :roll:

8 hours ago, prozach626 said:

I would love for it to be turned back around. It was one of my favorite coasters prior to the change.

Exactly, it was a fun gimmick for a short period, but I don't understand why they think they need to keep it that way after all these years.

On a side thought, thinking about all the coasters at the park. Mr. Freeze is the most problematic of the lot. Being a first gen LIM and all the problem trying to power it over the decades and parts wearing. Wouldn't it be a interesting thought if Six Flags, especially under new management, would consider replacing Freeze with a new LIM style launch coaster in the next 3-5years in the same plot of land. As much as Freeze can be fun, it's a clone, and the park needs something big regional to get people talking again. I think everyone would agree that we would rather see a big new ground breaking coaster added to the parks coaster count, but being this one of the smaller parks I could see it considered.

33 minutes ago, prozach626 said:

It's a clone of two, man. The ride still kicks ass and is very special. How many Six Flags Saint Louis guests are going to go to Six Flags Over Texas?

I know what you are trying to say, and I get it. It's like losing Xcalibur, and just like it, the park has had it's maintenance nightmares with the ride for decades now. For Freeze they barely have enough power to throw at along with blowing transformers and what not. Those LIMs have not been upgraded as far as we know, along with the holding LIMs that barely work cause their ain't enough power to go around, and I don't think they want to throw the money at it. We have been lucky that SFStL has kept it going but how much longer does it really have? And really how many guests actually value the coaster's uniqueness outside of enthusiasts?

^ it's not just enthusiasts.

SFStL's Mr. Freeze (and Screamin Eagle) make it a destination park for anyone outside the area.    

when we were in area?   it was for Freeze and Superman (because it had been Dungeon Drop at Astroworld and I had ridden it when I lived really close to that park).   But my Spouse?   not an enthusiast at all. ..and yet, he was most excited to see Freeze.   from the parking lot he was excited about it.

(and he totally forgot we had the only other version of it ~5 hours away).

• Like 1

The ride has character and I love how it roars around the park. Honestly, keeping it backwards and SFoT keeping theirs launching facing forward actually makes them a little unique from each other.

For the love of God, don't advocate for any additional ride removals, even if it comes with a replacement. It won't be as good or intense. Freeze is one that makes the dudes in RCT say, "Mr. Freeze looks too intense for me."

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, jamesk25 said:

I know what you are trying to say, and I get it. It's like losing Xcalibur, and just like it, the park has had it's maintenance nightmares with the ride for decades now. For Freeze they barely have enough power to throw at along with blowing transformers and what not. Those LIMs have not been upgraded as far as we know, along with the holding LIMs that barely work cause their ain't enough power to go around, and I don't think they want to throw the money at it. We have been lucky that SFStL has kept it going but how much longer does it really have? And really how many guests actually value the coaster's uniqueness outside of enthusiasts?

The LIMs definitely aren't being manufactured the same way they were in the 90s even if they have to keep the same form factor for compatibility.

It's hard to know the real service life of a Premier LIM coaster because they've either been removed early or they're still operating after being built in the 90s with no in between. And I'd bet Freeze is still one of the 2-3 most popular coasters in the park. That said when the time comes a new ride is probably a better investment than trying to Top Thrill Dragster/Nemesis/Hulk/Great Nor'easter-ify (full steel re-track with modern components) it.

The SFOT one is probably significantly more likely to be removed given the quantity of good coasters in that park - would it even be top 5 in ridership there?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, prozach626 said:

For the love of God, don't advocate for any additional ride removals, even if it comes with a replacement. It won't be as good or intense. Freeze is one that makes the dudes in RCT say, "Mr. Freeze looks too intense for me."

I would only advocate as long as Six Flags is willing to put in a comparable coaster or better. Something that would be better money spent on, rather trying to keep this girl running.

And as with all coaster's, there will always be a ticking clock to them, some taken before others. No matter how loved the ride is. I think Freeze has served it's time, others may think Ninja or Boomerang but the park has also thrown big bucks to keep those ticking. I don't see the same with Freeze and as I've heard with the last big breakdown, parts are getting harder to come by.

Also no hate for Freeze, she was my first launch, and I would hate to see her go. But all we could do is wait and see what comes next. I hope something big, and I hope they don't have to tear out any more rides to do so.

Screaming Eagle, Xcalibur, and the Enterprise was my favorites. Screaming Eagle is the only ride left now out of the bunch.

The parts issue is more likely due to temporary supply chain struggles. Premier is still alive and there are still 7 operational coasters using the exact same LIM setup (and the Backlot Stunt Coaster set is super similar too). There's a good amount of train part commonality. I just can't see it being possible that Premier isn't supporting this very reasonable number of operating coasters well - S&S still keeps Arrow suspended coasters running and there are way fewer of those remaining.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, jamesk25 said:

And as with all coaster's, there will always be a ticking clock to them, some taken before others.

Shelf Life does not apply to SFSTL.  Just look at the Ninja, that coaster should have been removed 15 years ago.

It's an old handbanger from the 1980s ... plus it gets no ridership.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, SteveStL said:

Shelf Life does not apply to SFSTL.  Just look at the Ninja, that coaster should have been removed 15 years ago.

It's an old handbanger from the 1980s ... plus it gets no ridership.

That is true, but it's also a very simple ride to maintain unlike Freeze. They just spent a butt load repairing the lift and mechanics. Honestly if they have Ninja new trains, it probably would be more well loved.

As it stands, Ninja makes for one of the more enjoyable rides as SFStL because of the short lines and the headbanging/vest restraints doesn't really bother me. Batman I have come to have issues with over the past years because of vest restraints digging into my shoulders.

Also from a perspective, it would also be sad to see Ninja ever get replaced because of it's interesting history of it being conceived and then being tossed around from different manufacturers after one went defunct.

The only thing I would ever want to see changed around Ninja is a retheme to the area and more rides around it.

4 minutes ago, SteveStL said:

I would cry no tears to see Ninja replaced with a Modern B&M Looper (Floorless).  Even a transplant would be welcomed.  Scream from MM comes to mind.

Ninja is one of the worst coasters I have ever ridden. That ninja karate chopped me in the neck 

17 minutes ago, SteveStL said:

I would cry no tears to see Ninja replaced with a Modern B&M Looper (Floorless).  Even a transplant would be welcomed.  Scream from MM comes to mind.

I get it, but this is SF and it's one of thier few parks that sees very little capital spent on new rides. I bet Rookie Racer was barely a scratch to their wallet compared to billions spent elsewhere. Ninja is cheap to own and maintain and honestly I think even the other rides outside of the headaches produced by mantaince cost very little in the long one. Me rattling on about Freeze probably won't happen in the next decade because of that. Tidal Wave, Antique Cars, and Xcalibur are the next spots to fill. Unless Xcalibur magically gets fixed.

On the topic of Xcalibur, KMOV 4 Saint Louis posted a drone flyby of SFStL a few weeks ago and the thing that caught my eye is Xcalibur arm is locked in the air. I did not know it could be kept in that state, other than it's old programing while in motion.

Screenshot_2023-03-02-08-55-43-57_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329.jpg

KMOV 4 SFStL

• Like 1

I too think this is a good addition, it fills a both a literal and figurative void in the park. I wonder if there will be any attempt to open it in conjunction with the refurbed carousel later this summer?

As far as the exact placement and the future of Dragon's Wing; apparently there has been some chatter about most of the parks removing the various Dragon's Wings and according to the ride op that lives in my house it was barely open last season due to staffing. Which means to me that they were not making enough money from it when it was open to justify the staffing. Frankly if getting rid of that gives them more ride ops for other things to run at full capacity and/or maybe stay open an hour later then it's totally worth it. Training is starting up this month and I will see if he can ferret out any info that I am able to pass along.

• Like 1

This thread is getting mighty cohesive, so I just want to add a few things to spark some real arguments.

Sea World tortures animals.

The carousel will never be finished.

We should get a Chick-Fil-A.

Finally: Corporate hates our park.

This should counter some of the good news and bring balance back to this thread.

• Haha 3