TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

Seeing chatter that Xcalibur is SBNO and is going to be removed?

didn't they just spend YEARS refurbishing this?    hmmmm. . taking with a grain of salt unless officially announced.

I have a children's book I read to my daughter about Knoebels restoring their carousel after it was almost completely destroyed in a flood. I mean... There's no way that's not fake news... Our Santa Claus books seem realistic compared to our current situation.

Screamscape finally picked up on the tweet about a 36" height requirement ride going in to the go kart track area 🤣

They had to add their own speculation that it's different from the other two 36" height requirement rides being built by the chain.

So it will have been closed, refurbished, reopened, and removed all in the time it has taken to sand a primer some wooden horses.

What kind of 100 rider per hour capacity ride are they going to get to replace it in a couple years?

• Haha 1

SFFT as well.

I upgraded my Platinum Pass (which I paid $54 for during a sale late last year) to Diamond for only $60 on Saturday when was in the park.

so in total, my Diamond pass was $114.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, liltrekkie said:

Speaking of speculation. 

1676457615343.thumb.jpg.29a98bd28cfd78eb99cb3905fd153ee1.jpg

Goodbye Xcalibur. You will be missed. 

I believe something *major* broke on it shortly after it reopened after that long refurb.

I know that the park folks were VERY upset. . .but as it was the only one of it's kind still in operation?   have to assume the cost of fixing what broke was way too prohibitive, so they just had to announce it's being removed, even after such an effort was made to refurb it.

really sad :(

5 minutes ago, bert425 said:

SFFT as well.

I upgraded my Platinum Pass (which I paid $54 for during a sale late last year) to Diamond for only $60 on Saturday when was in the park.

Strange. Still showing $149.99 on their website.  Sounds like upgrading is nice and easy. Good deal, for sure. Glad you got that taken care of.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tndank said:

Strange. Still showing $149.99 on their website.  Sounds like upgrading is nice and easy. Good deal, for sure. Glad you got that taken care of.

oh yes. . SUPER simple.

went to Membership Services, and showed her my pass, and asked how much it would be to upgrade to the all park pass.

she looked it up. . told me $60, I paid, and then she scanned it and it updated both on the card reader, and in the SF app.  

all in all took about 4 minutes?

but for only $60 more?  yeah, absolutely worth it, as now I can visit SFOT, and SFOG this year (since I go to both cities each year).   and she confirmed Parking is included.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bert425 said:

I believe something *major* broke on it shortly after it reopened after that long refurb.

I know that the park folks were VERY upset. . .but as it was the only one of it's kind still in operation?   have to assume the cost of fixing what broke was way too prohibitive, so they just had to announce it's being removed, even after such an effort was made to refurb it.

What makes it even worse is it's one of three flat rides (excluding the train) that still had it's original name. And was the staple for scenery when coming to the park. Everyone knew how iconic that ride was, due to it's extreme height. 

I'm not mad, honestly. It was expensive to maintain, and costly to run. I'm just sad to be losing such a park staple. And I'm sad because that ride will be gone and that lot will sit there empty for years to come. 

Coming to the park and not seeing Xcalibur on the skyline is just.. sad and wrong.

40 minutes ago, liltrekkie said:

What makes it even worse is it's one of three flat rides (excluding the train) that still had it's original name. And was the staple for scenery when coming to the park. Everyone knew how iconic that ride was, due to it's extreme height. 

I'm not mad, honestly. It was expensive to maintain, and costly to run. I'm just sad to be losing such a park staple. And I'm sad because that ride will be gone and that lot will sit there empty for years to come. 

Coming to the park and not seeing Xcalibur on the skyline is just.. sad and wrong.

Xcalibur  100% is NOT an original ride to Six Flags St. Louis. It moved here in the early 2000's from SF Great Adv where it had a totally different name. 

• Like 1

On 2/15/2023 at 10:51 AM, bert425 said:

This. The park did NOT want it to end this way after the intense refurb. They tried their best but it just wasn't to be in the end. I have never ridden Excalibur because unfortunately neither covering my entire body in scopolamine patches and/or swallowing a case of dramamine would allow me to experience this without disasterous "Sandlot" level effects to myself and those around me; however I do recognize the historic rarity of this type of ride and sorry for all the fans of it, and would be fans who wanted to ride but never got the chance.

• Like 3

It's a damn shame, really.  It was my favorite flat at Great Adventure in the short time it spent there, I rode it every chance I got (still wasn't super reliable even then) and even got a few different cycle programs so I was able to see what it was capable of rather than the typical Six Flags-ing of flats where they run the pansy programs.  It would stall at the top and everyone would be facing inwards at each other, sometimes it would just spin in place on top or at the bottom, sometimes it would spin faster, slower, etc.  The ride was a beast.  RIP.

Speaking of ride programs, being the op on the top spin was really fun.  Management was pretty specific about what program we ran with guests but we'd go buckwild in the morning when we were testing it before the park opened.  One program had over 10 flips, IIRC, and the only thing that's come close to matching those wacky programs is Talocan at Phantasialand.

No one thinks the park wanted to remove the ride. But, I think what a lot of us are upset about the likely future of that area. There's going to be an empty concrete pad for a prolonged period of time. Eventually, something cheaper and less thrilling will go in its place.

If you were a betting person where would you place your money? On what I just said, or do you think something like a Zamperla Discovery will be constructed there?

Ask yourself where you would put your $100,000 bet.

2 minutes ago, prozach626 said:

No one thinks the park wanted to remove the ride. But, I think what a lot of us are upset about the likely future of that area. There's going to be an empty concrete pad for a prolonged period of time. Eventually, something cheaper and less thrilling will go in its place.

If you were a betting person where would you place your money? On what I just said, or do you think something like a Zamperla Endeavor will be constructed there?

kind of funny in a sad way, they finally come up with a plan for the remaining half of the go-kart track and now they might be replacing it with another concrete the ride attraction.

11 hours ago, prozach626 said:

If you were a betting person where would you place your money? On what I just said, or do you think something like a Zamperla Endeavor will be constructed there?

Super girl is an Endeavor. I think you're referring to one of the Discovery models from Zamperla. Which, would actually make a ton of sense to go there, considering Xcalibur has a similar support design. 

I would say I doubt one would go there, however, they got rid of highland fling and replaced it with super girl, which is just an updated version of the enterprise sooo, honestly, 9 to 5 and pick em at this point. 

After the lot sits for 5-10 years first, of course. 

Just as an fyi to those that aren't aware or didn't already see. According to the ACE summary of No Coaster Con in January, the following was confirmed, by Katy Enrique regional marketing director for SFOG, SFSTL, and SFGAm and John Krajnak park president:

• John Krajnak will indeed be the Park President for BOTH SFGAm and SFSTL. Will be interesting to see how that works out and how much time he spends in each park
  • The SFSTL Grand Carousel refurb will be finished this year with the intent to open by National Carousel Day, July 25, 2023
  • There will be a new attraction for 2023 in the former go-kart area, it will be for families with small kids. No other details but updates will be coming.

Discuss or not at your leisure.

• Thanks 1