TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

Went to SFSL today. The positives: crowds were very light so nearly everything was a walk on. American Thunder was running great. And my tickets were free.

The negatives: The Boss and Screamin Eagle both just had one train operations today; multiple rides were closed (Thunder River, Joker, Supergirl, Dragon's Wing, Tsunami Soaker, of course the normal Xcalibur and carousel,  Boomerang and Fireball were also closed until mid afternoon); The Boss was very rough, not sure if it was the row, but it was almost the rougest coaster I have been on; the only landscaping I saw was overgrown weeds.

The only ride my group re-rode was American Thunder. We were actually able to just stay on because the queue had nobody in it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SixFlagsAstroworld said:

3D Glasses were removed chain wide. Its most definitely a budget cut.

It Would have been funny, and I could totally see them doing this as a Six Flags move, is leaving the 3d projector format (so it's showing two different images / has an extreme blur effect) and just removing the glasses without updating the video setup 

Or maybe they did... I haven't been on it. lol 

23 hours ago, WOF_Fan said:

Went to SFSL today. The positives: crowds were very light so nearly everything was a walk on. American Thunder was running great. And my tickets were free.

The negatives: The Boss and Screamin Eagle both just had one train operations today; multiple rides were closed (Thunder River, Joker, Supergirl, Dragon's Wing, Tsunami Soaker, of course the normal Xcalibur and carousel,  Boomerang and Fireball were also closed until mid afternoon); The Boss was very rough, not sure if it was the row, but it was almost the rougest coaster I have been on; the only landscaping I saw was overgrown weeds.

The only ride my group re-rode was American Thunder. We were actually able to just stay on because the queue had nobody in it.

This would have been surprising 10 years ago. Now that the park has become so boring and overpriced I’m not surprised. American Thunder is an amazing specimen of a GCI, good choice on just re-riding it!

Two water rides being closed the weekend that water rides close isn’t terribly noteworthy. Nor is the sky coaster and swinging boat that I have never seen with a line being closed. Supergirl is new, that’s odd, but all signs point to the kids being back in school and the park already being understaffed.

It was most definitely not the row you were in on The Boss! That used to matter, but the ride is way past that at this point. It is now there to remind those who dare to ride that Six Flags IS The Boss, and you should just take what they give you MM-KAY?!

image.gif.b09351762791a437023ac891933d0820.gif

To address a few of the things brought up:

• I don't think there is any worry about the park being open weekends only because the festivals are only on weekends. Lots of parks, much bigger more premier parks, do festivals that run weekends only. Takes lots of extra staff to man the booths. It COULD be a way to get more locals to the park IF they ADVERTISE it to the GP and have some really good food booths and drink specials, etc, etc. Our park doesn't always do a very good job marketing to the masses.
  • I have been on JL and in my opinion it is better without the 3D, clearer. At worst I don't think a lot of people will even notice a difference in picture quality. And yes I believe it was a chain wide thing.
  • Thunder River went down for a mechanical issue around a month ago and they pretty much knew then it would not come back in time for this season
  • The ride op that lives in my house has said that they are "supposed" to add trains in time for FF so hopefully only a couple more weekends of one train ops. Although I agree it's disappointing that they didn't have them for a holiday weekend. 
  • As far as Boss, I had it on very good authority that there was a firm plan to RMC the thing before the virus that shall not be named struck. Do with that info what you will. Is there any chance now with the new CEO? Probably not, at least in the near future, but I really don't know where it stands at the moment. I've been butt hurt ever since they removed the helix.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, prozach626 said:

A trusted source no longer with the park confirmed the RMC information as well. Before his departure he always gave me reliable information. But, it doesn't matter. It didn't happen.

Shafted once again.

Maybe they will try to compete with WOF and they will add some GCI Titan track on the lift hill to help the experience. 

19 hours ago, prozach626 said:

A trusted source no longer with the park confirmed the RMC information as well. Before his departure he always gave me reliable information. But, it doesn't matter. It didn't happen.

Shafted once again.

Any idea how far planning got?  I had heard that as well from a person who has family with Eureka Town Hall....so I wonder if it ever got to serious planning?  Pretty cool to think what could have been.  But also f'n VERY depressing.  I think Steel Boss could have moved the needle for STL as WoF and SDC have had capital (SDC way more obviously than WoF).

34 minutes ago, TrippinBillie said:

Any idea how far planning got?  I had heard that as well from a person who has family with Eureka Town Hall....so I wonder if it ever got to serious planning?  Pretty cool to think what could have been.  But also f'n VERY depressing.  I think Steel Boss could have moved the needle for STL as WoF and SDC have had capital (SDC way more obviously than WoF).

It is my understanding that it was a go on the end of Six Flags and there had been preliminary contacts to RMC and that it was to be a possible 50th celebration ride for 2021; then it all got blown up by the virus. If they were starting the process in early 2020 for the next year's anniversary that would make sense timing wise but someone else may be able to shed more light on it.

• Like 1

I hope at this point, they just scrap it.   Buy a cheapie, plop it in, and move the restored Carousel to another park.

as much complaining and bitching about it as there has been?   Why are they making the effort for unappreciative public?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Every park likes to brag about how historic their carousel is but I really would venture to guess that in almost every situation this is something that like six guests per year care about. I would imagine that number is even lower at a Six Flags park. 

They should build a cheap POS carousel, put it in the same building and not tell anyone. Almost nobody would notice. I know I wouldn't. This isn't Knoebels, this is a park that caters heavily towards guests under 35-40 who want to ride coasters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

the Carousel at SFOG is really the only one at a Six Flags Park I really consider a classic, and honestly?  is a draw to that park for me.

(as much as I love the restored carousel at SFFT?  yeah. .it's just a pretty carousel).

5 hours ago, coasterbill said:

Every park likes to brag about how historic their carousel is but I really would venture to guess that in almost every situation this is something that like six guests per year care about. I would imagine that number is even lower at a Six Flags park. 

They should build a cheap POS carousel, put it in the same building and not tell anyone. Almost nobody would notice. I know I wouldn't. This isn't Knoebels, this is a park that caters heavily towards guests under 35-40 who want to ride coasters.

This. For every one of the six guests who would care, there would be 10,000 children who would rather have it open and ride it. On behalf of myself and the hundreds of thousands of parents who have been to the park, we'd like to see it open for our kids to ride it, even if it's not pristine. There are plenty of places around the Saint Louis area that focus on actual history and preservation.

At best, the horses will be finished and a parent will read the sign about how 'great and historic' the ride is, including how many tens of years it took to refurbish it into a level of acceptable mediocracy. The response will be, "Huh. That's neat." and move on.

Teens will trash it again within a few years of eventual opening.

On that note, has anyone heard anything about the carousel?

1 hour ago, SF3582 said:

Bert,

Why wouldn't the one at SFSTL be considered a classic? Just wondering. I know how fond you are of them and you have seen many more than I....

so here's a nice story on it that will give you a lot of detail:

https://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/six-flags-st-louis-historic-carousel-gets-major-makeover/article_6003940e-5324-5a51-85b2-0e2eec00416d.html

but bottom line?  it IS an early PTC Carousel - #35 - that is over 100 years old, as it was built in 1915.  
It came from Luna Park (not the *famous* Luna Park in Coney Island tho. . but rather the Luna Park in Cleveland.

so it *is* historic. . but it's just not (to me) a Classic.    (that would be one of the numbers lower than 25, produced in the first few years of PTC existence)

- for example, the one I cited above:  the Riverview Carousel at SFOG (stunningly maintained, and located on the beautiful Carousel Hill in the park) is PTC #17, built in 1908      (that's why that one is considered a classic (by me at least)).

hopefully that makes sense?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, prozach626 said:

Classic and cool, indeed. But, no one (99% of guests) cares. To them, it's just ANOTHER closed ride.

Mediocracy over the past 3 years > Pristine when it opens in June, 2024, and stays that way until July, 2024.

So we shouldn't make any attempt to improve things just because they will/might get messed up again? Like never clean the house because we will just make it dirty again. Yeah I'm not buying that. Besides not a lot of teens waste time riding a carousel, not exactly high on the cool factor rating.

I understand your frustration over it being closed at a time when your child is young, and I've avoided responding because I just haven't seen the point as we aren't going to convince each other to change our opinion  (agree to disagree at this point) BUT I do not think as many people are as uncaring as you think they are. When we saw the presentation on the process a couple years ago everyone there was fascinated and appreciative of what they were doing. While I realize it was a group of enthusiasts, they were not necessarily people that usually cared about carousels all that much. I have talked to many many random people that were reading the info billboard and seeing the sample horses that thought it was pretty damn cool. A true representative sample, no, but you can't say you have truly surveyed the masses either, so no way to really say with authority what percentage really care; and frankly, if your main goal is to ride a carousel with your daughter, there are other places you can do that for a lot less money and much closer to your home. The zoo springs to mind.

• Like 1

My solution...

Rent an ordinary ol' Carousel and place it in it the current footprint, providing a working ride and more importantly removing a dreadful eyesore.

In the meantime they can take their sweet time renovating, painting, restoring our Classic.  And when that is done, place it in the courtyard area in front of our Palace Theater with a nice, classy station and queue.

Remove the rented Carousel and replace with a nice Flat, Spin and Puke.

Solved.

• Like 5