TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

2 minutes ago, Danrarbc said:

Actually Great Escape has Adirondack Outlaw. It's the same model as Catwoman.

[b]Edit:[/b] Also Supergirl isn't unique in the chain.

in regards to Supergirl?  it was at the time I visited.

now there are clones of it eslewhere, but at the time, the only similar was Catwoman Whip at SFOT, and that one is a double seater, so Supergirl being single seat was unique.

that's interesting on Great Escape.. thought they had the longer seating arrangement there.   How is capacity on that there?

9 minutes ago, bert425 said:

in regards to Supergirl?  it was at the time I visited.

now there are clones of it eslewhere, but at the time, the only similar was Catwoman Whip at SFOT, and that one is a double seater, so Supergirl being single seat was unique.

that's interesting on Great Escape.. thought they had the longer seating arrangement there.   How is capacity on that there?

Overall the single seaters seem to just make me slightly less queasy - the Gs are pulled on-axis to your center of gravity as opposed to being offset to the left or right. Certainly nothing unique though, I didn't find it that different than SFOT. 

Outlaw is in fact the same 16 rider model. And I'm trying not to use the word glacial to describe the pace of the line but frankly that's what it is. Even with a short cycle it takes a long time to lock the arm in place, get the seats in the correct position, the lift raised and the restraints unlocked and locked. Unfortunately even if they could run it with twice the riders it'll still be an annoying pace because it's just a long load/unload process no matter what. The ride looks great I'm just not sure it'll ever be truly viable for real amusement parks.

I'll still ride it, probably have a blast and maybe even consider it my favorite flat in the park. None of that will change that in operation these don't seem too practical :(

• Like 1

^ it might have to do with the way the parks run them too tho. . Catwoman at SFOG actually made me a little ill, since they were running such an intense program on it last year.

Just now, bert425 said:

^ it might have to do with the way the parks run them too tho. . Catwoman at SFOG actually made me a little ill, since they were running such an intense program on it last year.

I don't know what goes in to selecting the cycle but if it's something really simple it'd be really fun to run it (and other flats when possible) on a higher intensity cycle for special events. Kinda like how Kentucky Kingdom does supercharged waves in the wave pool for Keys to the Kingdom. And Holiday World disables trims for some events on Voyage.

^ and I always tell folks to ride Wave Runner (the scrambler) at SFFT. . . they run an insane cycle on that.  
There's a reason the motor has to be replaced so often.

the only one I've been on that's ever come close to how crazy Fiesta runs theirs, is the one at Six Flags America - which proved to be one of three highlights at that park for me (the other being Joker's Jinx, and Ragin Cajun - the spinning mouse that was way better than I expected).

Bringing this back to SFStL tho. . .I really enjoyed Colossus, the Mine Train (a pleasant surprise), and several of the other flats there, as well as the other standouts I mentioned earlier.
Even the taxis were fun, although the ride pad has shrunk so much.

Honestly, the only "dud" that I absolutely hated in the park was Ninja.    Which is a shame, because it looks so good, but rides so rough.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bert425 said:

^ and I always tell folks to ride Wave Runner (the scrambler) at SFFT. . . they run an insane cycle on that.  

the only one I've been on that's ever come close to how crazy Fiesta runs theirs, is the one at Six Flags America - which proved to be one of three highlights at that park for me (the other being Joker's Jinx, and Ragin Cajun - the spinning mouse that was way better than I expected).

Bringing this back to SFStL tho. . .I really enjoyed Colossus, the Mine Train (a pleasant surprise), and several of the other flats there, as well as the other standouts I mentioned earlier.

Honestly, the only "dud" that I absolutely hated in the park was Ninja.    Which is a shame, because it looks so good, but rides so rough.

That's the way Ninja was designed though, Ninja was designed to be a steel coaster with a "feel" of a wooden one, same with Blue Hawk from SFoG, but its gotten a lot worse as it's aged though. I could be wrong but I think they are still using the original trains from Arrow, which.. Werent great to begin with.. Most of the parks who have the same track type have upgraded to the 6 car Vekoma trains and a different style of restraint system which reduce the awful jerkiness of the ride by a ton. Blue Hawk in SFoG a few years ago got some track refurbishment and new trains which apparently makes the coaster (which is identical to ninja in terms of roughness at the time) basically smooth and has the added benefit of making the coaster run faster. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, bert425 said:

^ mostly it's just teasing, @liltrekkie

many folks here have been posting here for a long long time, and we're like family. . so it's like teasing your little brother  (at least that's how i look at it).   So, no, don't hate you at all.

but seriously, I don't get why folks can't appreciate that it's a decent amusement park (tho perhaps now a lower tier Six Flags).. many places don't even have that! 
(thank goodness Houston might finally get a somewhat decent park soon tho in Big Rivers)

My home park being Over Georgia, SFStl was the first different SF park I ever visited.  This was in 1998.  I have since been back a half dozen times over the years, including 2019.  I have enjoyed every visit I have made to this park.  The rides are decent and the terrain of this park is amazing.  Some on this list are so busy complaining about what they don't have that they fail to appreciate what they do.  And we have not even seen what the new corporate has planned for the chain.  

As for St Louis, I have enjoyed my visits to the city.  I have not yet been able to go up in the Arch as it was always insanely busy with several hours' wait but ... someday.  I understand St Louis has its share of problems, but then so does Atlanta, as do most major cities.  So take your pick...glass half full or half empty, just sayin'

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, boldikus said:

wat.gif.1628e70e9d1aa4f41b0b38d845604165.gif

That's exactly what I thought when I heard that. I cannot fathom their reasoning for that, but, its the truth. It's literally the same coaster from expo 86, which for some reason was popular even if neck breaking then.

NInja with some new track sections from Vekoma and the new vest trains would make it a decent little coaster. I would say though rip it out and replace it with a custom S&S El Loco since 6flags likes working with S&S. 

2 hours ago, SteveStL said:

or a 4D Free Spin.   

Then re-locate Scream from SFMM and install in the back (Tidal Wave) towards the East.   Then SFSTL will be complete coaster wise for a long time, imo.

I mean if want to talk 'complete' :p

1313795668_FrontEntrance.thumb.jpg.9cbcd43d117fb5476339b0b6f0473f07.jpg1381612250_NinjaMineTrain.thumb.jpg.2cd9d40590e6091627cbbb10b4ebf495.jpg

Sorry, not sorry. I'm excited for what 2022 will bring though. Now that we've heard a bit more from the new management structure it sounds like effort is being made to elevate the chain - even food.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, bert425 said:

Now who insisted you ride Mine Train even though you were ready to be done for the day after Ninja? 😜 You're welcome! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lotologist492 said:

My home park being Over Georgia, SFStl was the first different SF park I ever visited.  This was in 1998.  I have since been back a half dozen times over the years, including 2019.  I have enjoyed every visit I have made to this park.  The rides are decent and the terrain of this park is amazing.  Some on this list are so busy complaining about what they don't have that they fail to appreciate what they do.  And we have not even seen what the new corporate has planned for the chain.  

As for St Louis, I have enjoyed my visits to the city.  I have not yet been able to go up in the Arch as it was always insanely busy with several hours' wait but ... someday.  I understand St Louis has its share of problems, but then so does Atlanta, as do most major cities.  So take your pick...glass half full or half empty, just sayin'

This. Plus, it's ok to appreciate what the park has and be disappointed at the lack of new rides and the dismal (I do agree with this description) 50th anniversary at the same time. You always expect the most of the ones you love, and suffer the most disappointment when they don't live up to your expectations. None of our friends/family are all good or all bad but we love them anyway. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Danrarbc said:

Sorry, not sorry. I'm excited for what 2022 will bring though. Now that we've heard a bit more from the new management structure it sounds like effort is being made to elevate the chain - even food.

Better food would be a VERY nice start. Sigh.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, liltrekkie said:

You guys can criticize me all you want, but it doesn't make me any less wrong.

YES!!! I'm seriously so glad I triggered him again!

🤣

Bert, hit me up when you're coming. TBH, chances are pretty slim we'll be able to hang, but let me know, just in case the stars align. I'm a detective again, so I usually get one day a week when I'm not working and I have to make sure I spend it with Emily and Eve. No idea WTF I was thinking taking this position, but now I'm stuck.

7 hours ago, Danrarbc said:

I mean if want to talk 'complete' :p

1313795668_FrontEntrance.thumb.jpg.9cbcd43d117fb5476339b0b6f0473f07.jpg1381612250_NinjaMineTrain.thumb.jpg.2cd9d40590e6091627cbbb10b4ebf495.jpg

I don't think Six Flags Over Georgia needs a second hyper.

• Haha 3

I just read on Screamscape BG Tampa will be retiring Kumba this year.  According to the Park and B&M Reps, the ride has reached it's life limit and it's time to retire it.  That got me thinking about our be-loved Ninja.  It was built in 86, moved from Canada to our Park in '87.  If Kumba's life span is done then one would think the Ninja should be as well.  I think I posted a few years ago, jokingly, it's Shelf Life was done.  Makes you also wonder about all the Batman clones built in the Mid-90s as well.  Just thoughts for the day

12 minutes ago, SteveStL said:

I just read on Screamscape BG Tampa will be retiring Kumba this year.  According to the Park and B&M Reps, the ride has reached it's life limit and it's time to retire it.  That got me thinking about our be-loved Ninja.  It was built in 86, moved from Canada to our Park in '87.  If Kumba's life span is done then one would think the Ninja should be as well.  I think I posted a few years ago, jokingly, it's Shelf Life was done.  Makes you also wonder about all the Batman clones built in the Mid-90s as well.  Just thoughts for the day

Even if the rumor about Kumba is true (which I doubt, but with SEAS anything is possible), it (and all of the other Florida coasters) has probably run at least twice, if not more, the amount of cycles that any seasonal park's rides do.  That said, Scorpion has been around an extra 10+ years over Kumba and there's nothing going on there.

You aren't getting anything new at SFStL, don't get too excited.

My get says that no coaster anywhere has a finite lifespan. I'm sure they just weigh operating expenses (which rise every year) vs whatever metrics they use to determine how much revenue the ride generates and eventually they just can't justify it anymore (especially when they need to start replacing track pieces on steel coasters). There are probably other factors too like the tax benefits of depreciating the ride hardware that eventually come to an end / insurance costs and tons of other things that we never think about.

It's easier for a park to say "This ride is at the end of it's service life" than "Yeah, we're losing money on this ride and don't feel like dumping any more money into it".

Band-aid fixing this clunker year-after-year seems in-line with the Six Flags playbook.