TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

57 minutes ago, SharkTums said:

Thanks for the report.  I'm still surprised they haven't RMC'd The Boss yet, it certainly must be high on the list but I just don't think corporate seems to care a lot about this park right now. 

I have been told (no I am not naming my source) that it was in the original 50th plans but due to Covid got indefinitely delayed. No idea where it stands in the plans now. 

57 minutes ago, SharkTums said:

Thanks for the report.  I'm still surprised they haven't RMC'd The Boss yet, it certainly must be high on the list but I just don't think corporate seems to care a lot about this park right now. 

Corporate doesn't care about our park. That's a simple fact. Corporate neglected the park with simple maintenance for years and it turned people away, and since then people would rather go to holiday world, or six flags great America. Which is unfortunate for those of us who really care about the park.

• Like 2

I am not sure I hear the boo-hoo-ing going on here. This park is still great, and it will continue to be as the improvements come. St. Louis is a stagnant market, the improvements will meet the demand. Be happy you don’t live near Worlds of Fun like me!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CP_RULES said:

St. Louis is a stagnant market, the improvements will meet the demand.

Yep.

I'm sorry to offend anyone in denial, but our area is a shithole. It just is. It's surprising we have as good of a park as we do. If SFSTL was a true reflection of our greater metropolitan area, the entirety of it would look how it does around Superman.

(Imagine living in the STL metro area combined with being an Illinois resident. FML)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, CP_RULES said:

The new sign is not impressive. That is all.

Looking at the picture you took, yeah I am surprised they didn't try to do more with it, I bet 90% of the GP wouldn't notice a difference until the thing lights up at night. I'm glad they cleaned up the old sign, it's not impressive, but I also understand this is Six Flags which is the "budget" park brand now.

14 hours ago, CP_RULES said:

The new queue cut-through is smaller than I thought, but it will still be nice. Batman has so much reserve queue available it needed a shortcut.

The dividers in Batman's queue were the only ones with plexiglass, all of the others were still little caves.

The new queue line has came along quite a ways since I last visited, it looks a lot nicer and I'm glad it finally got a shortcut. Sure it's only a small improvement and it's still a hike to get back there, but at least we can cut out the first half when the park is not crowded. I only wish they can remove the haunt next to Batman, it looks so tacky and congested when you exit Batman.

Don't forget Ninja 😉 Dividers in both Ninja and Batman I believe were the first post season to get the nice dividers, I hope they do fix the caves of the other rides before the end of the 2021 season, cause it really does affect the feel of walking into the station seeing giant grey solid walls.

Fireball is new to me, but it had a line and we were not about lines today.

If you can get the over the head restraints down, it can be a fun little ride. It's not a lot, but I always found the flat to be a fun addition to the park, compared to Boomerang behind it. 😂

My husband used to work in this pizza place before we knew each other. Now it is another boarded up building in the Screamin' Eagle area.

Hopefully Catwoman revamps this area.

It's now the employees lounge, but I agree it looks real tacky with its old facade, I hope that the building gets a new look to blend in when Catwoman is installed along with opening and clearing of the old arcade/food stand.

I LOVE THE BOSS. The layout is the best of the best, as are the elements. The airtime and laterals are still strong, but the jackhammering is just too much. The MCBR doesn't kill the speed as much as I thought it would, but the ride is just too rough. Something has got to give. Even the new helix was terrible.

Boss has its place as I still think it is fun, but I agree it can be jarring at times especially when the train hits the MCBR, and I miss being thrown into the final helix even if it was rough, but that is my own opinion.

Anyone know what they are doing with the go karts now? We went to Mr. Freeze after this.

For now, unless someone else has an insider secret, no one really knows since they halted all work in the area. And glad to hear Freeze was working this weekend.

And the only ride of the day with a significant line goes to DC blaster masters or whatever it is these days. I didn't ride Scooby Doo for years because the line was always long, I guess this one will be the same. Dark rides aren't my thing anyways.

I miss the old Scooby Doo ride, I know the ride was out of place in the DC area and it was starting to have a some wear and tear, but I found it more kid friendly then the more intense Justice league ride. Don't get me wrong, the ride when is working it can be a fun way to get out of the heat, but I don't hardly ever bother since it always has a line. And @bert425 I think the SFStL version is never properly working, as it always seem something is broken, another reason to avoid our version.

13 hours ago, CP_RULES said:

The mask strictness was especially apparent on rides, the ops would come over the speaker and tell people to put their mask on during the ride. Interesting because WOF's new policies are much less stringent:

During my last visit they where also giving out "strikes" to people refusing to put masks up. And saying that these are amusement parks, I can see even WOF enforcing the policy outdoors as the "as long social distance is meet" is near impossible. Every visit to SFStL this year, people has been piled up every place you turned, no one was properly distancing themselves.

13 hours ago, liltrekkie said:

People would rather go to holiday world, or six flags great America

People in my area only really go to Holiday World for the water park, and I don't know of many people that has touched Six Flags Great America down in southern IL. Most people around here would rather go to the City Museum (which is interestingly now owned by Premier) or go to Silver Dollar City.

2 hours ago, prozach626 said:

I'm sorry to offend anyone in denial, but our area is a shithole. It just is. It's surprising we have as good of a park as we do. If SFSTL was a true reflection of our greater metropolitan area, the entirety of it would look how it does around Superman.

I agree that Saint Louis is a very run down city, and also the population is not as dense as lets say Chicago. The city is all but to blame for how things turned out, they turned away some big business, and they really need to clean up the slums. But in defense we still have some nice things to be proud of like the Saint Louis Zoo along with all of Forest Park, the City Museum and now the Union Station Aquarium with its Ferris Wheel. If they just clean up the blight, and bring down crime, Saint Louis wouldn't be as bad.

The Southern and Western 'burbs are fine ... along with all of St Charles County and Metro Illinois.

There is a big audience out there for Six Flags StL if they want it, especially if you include Memphis.

Saint Louis crime isn't likely to go down, and it's not isolated to just the city, due to the ability to travel. Same with Memphis.

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/blog/top100dangerous

https://www.neoch.org/top-poorest-cities-in-us

Why invest in entertainment here? You can't tell me these things aren't taken into consideration by corporate, when looking at it from a long term investment standpoint.

I'm not looking for a sociological argument as to why this is, or how to fix it. There are many opinions. Friday I got split open under my right eye because of someone from St. Louis participating in a mob in our city, 20 minutes away from Saint Louis. It's getting worse, but I'm not in the mood for debate, after 36 hours of night shift violence over the weekend.

47 minutes ago, prozach626 said:

I'm not looking for a sociological argument as to why this is, or how to fix it. 

I mean I know you aren't looking for the argument, but the second link kinda gets to the heart of it. Crime tends to go up the poorer an area is. It isn't a coincidence the least safe zip codes are also the poorest zip codes. Which of course creates a feedback loop (why would a business take the risk of opening in a higher crime area?).

• Like 2

19 hours ago, teacherkim said:

I have been told (no I am not naming my source) that it was in the original 50th plans but due to Covid got indefinitely delayed. No idea where it stands in the plans now. 

Thanks for sharing.  Wow.  That would have been awesome.  I'd love to see a small Intamin hyper be added as well to really round out the park.  The new Intamins being added this year look awesome. 

Hope to get a short visit after picking my daughter up from Mizzou before heading back to Baltimore. 

10 minutes ago, JonR said:

Thanks for sharing.  Wow.  That would have been awesome.  I'd love to see a small Intamin hyper be added as well to really round out the park.  The new Intamins being added this year look awesome. 

Hope to get a short visit after picking my daughter up from Mizzou before heading back to Baltimore. 

I wouldn't expect an Intamin Mega to come here. For whatever reason they just aren't going to North American parks. Cedar Fair and Six Flags both have seemed to sour on Intamin. They do look good though. The last two Universal coasters are notable not just because of how good they are, but also because they're two of the only recent Intamins in the country (besides Pantheon).

10 hours ago, prozach626 said:

Yep.

(Imagine living in the STL metro area combined with being an Illinois resident. FML)

In case anyone was wondering... from a population stance St. Louis is not a great bet.

863AC8B4-AC92-46D3-8C1F-0181E6BE3A65.thumb.png.11b0d0f0581b38681e4672d9a78e0305.png

Above is STL metro population. It appears to be growing for the most part, but let’s compare to KCMO across the state:

E435A86D-0C30-4594-B4BF-7DEC1169ADAD.thumb.png.2822645c5952a2a6350d5e41b527c117.png
Notice how the population growth remains positive? Now let’s compare to NW Arkansas:

E5FF522E-2A61-4844-981F-9F7F9566257C.thumb.png.7d7434eb784ca83b85156caa9331860f.png

In an economic sense, STL is not very investable right now. There are areas with much more potential nearby.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, SteveStL said:

Are fine including Metro Illinois

The metro east in Illinois; specifically East St. Louis, Chaokia Heights, and extending outside of Belleville crime is rampant and the poverty rate is on the rise. Not very nice on this side of the river.

5 hours ago, Danrarbc said:

I mean I know you aren't looking for the argument, but the second link kinda gets to the heart of it. Crime tends to go up the poorer an area is. It isn't a coincidence the least safe zip codes are also the poorest zip codes. Which of course creates a feedback loop (why would a business take the risk of opening in a higher crime area?).

Yep, exactly. The greater the inequality, the greater the crime. Now, whether you want to go about fixing that through poverty relief programs that raise people to a living wage, require business to pay a living wage directly, or just tax the hell out of the rich so the top tier comes down closer to the rest of us, all are ok by me. It's all relative. Reduce inequality, reduce crime!

• Like 7

Inequality is rampant in many cities, but this conversation is off course. You could discuss regional disproportionality in any city. SFStL is doing a good job of making the park available to those of any background, at least to get in.

If only the prices were as forgiving once you get in the door... oompf. $14 for a turkey leg these days? $8 for a soda? How do parks defend these prices? McDonalds sells drinks for $1 any size right outside the park... those prices have got to be 95% profit for the park!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CP_RULES said:

If only the prices were as forgiving once you get in the door... oompf. $14 for a turkey leg these days? $8 for a soda? How do parks defend these prices? McDonalds sells drinks for $1 any size right outside the park... those prices have got to be 95% profit for the park!

Don't forget 5$ for water from the vending machines 😂

Without doubt it is their most lucrative profit outside of the arcade games, the quality of the food proves it 😉. They know people will pay for convenience even if something is cheaper right next door. I think its a ploy so that they can sell you a all-day/season dining pass, the ads are every where in the park.

And also just think, movie theaters charge you an arm and leg for concessions because that's where the profit is. The movie companys take so much of the profit away from the actual ticket sales that there forced to compensate for the loss.

1 hour ago, SteveStL said:

Are these prices real or an exaggeration? 😵

real across the chain.

I can mainly speak from experience at SFFT (tho assume it's the same everywhere).

as someone noted, the insane food prices are likely meant to "encourage" folks to get meal plan - it really seems like you've gotten a great deal by getting meal plan when you see your "meal" would have cost $16.99 without the plan.

as to the vending machine soda/waters?   yeah, that's for people who want the convenience.   At SFFT, there are vending machines with $8 sodas *literally* on the side of the Iron Rattler exit store - and inside the store?  2 for $13  (yes, 1.50 cheaper for each).    

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SteveStL said:

Are these prices real or an exaggeration? 😵

I think others have addressed this already... but yea, these are actual in-park prices as of this past weekend, That is the cheap soda too! We ended up getting the "$30 unlimited refills all season at any park" bottle, because that math makes sense quite quick. Of course, Six Flags knows I will think that, they don't know I'll make it worth it though!