TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, jamesk25 said:

fix or get rid of all the broken TV's in the park. I swear nothing looks more tacky than those ugly broken TVs. 😂

^

IMG_1982.JPG

granted, this is a pic I took at Cedar Point. . but yeah. . disagree that "nothing looks more tacky than a broken TV"  LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

2 hours ago, Danrarbc said:

I was indeed thinking new LIMs in the valleys would work. The new ones don't need to be on straight track.

I was just thinking out loud. I know it'd be pretty expensive but replacing these old model LIMs when they need it probably ain't that cheap anymore either.

I wonder if they actually are using the newer gen LIMs by now, I can't imagine Premier still manufacturing the old ones. But from what I understand it ain't 100% the LIMs fault with the design of the coaster mostly to blame, along with the huge power requirements for the ride requiring its own huge transformer. Personally, again, I wouldn't be sad to see Freeze go, especially if they put in a better launch coaster in its place. The amount of downtime and maintenance, coupled with the huge power demands, I wonder how much longer this coaster has at this park.

Edit: Also if they did put LIMs in the valleys, I wonder how hard it would be to A: Install and B: to keep aligned so that way it don't get torn up by the train passing though. But I may just be overthinking it 😂

This thread went from being grateful for changes to Batman's queue and adding a new sign, to suggesting spending tens of millions of dollars on removing and replacing one of the top attractions.

I'll take expected hiccups with Mr. Freeze over going full blown Volcano.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, prozach626 said:

This thread went from being grateful for changes to Batman's queue and adding a new sign, to suggesting spending tens of millions of dollars on removing and replacing one of the top attractions.

I'll take expected hiccups with Mr. Freeze over going full blown Volcano.

I've personally never considered Mr Freeze "Reverse Blast" a top attraction, but I understand it has its enthusiasts 🙃

And I really don't see Freeze going any where anytime soon, it's still a good enough coaster, it keeps the GP happy when it works.

But I agree, we are lucky enough for the changes the park is making to improve the overall experience. Hopefully one day we will see the big marquee roller coaster that everybody wants to see, but little touches like getting a new plaza, sign, and now the freakin batmobile is awesome 😄

12 hours ago, jamesk25 said:

I wonder if they actually are using the newer gen LIMs by now, I can't imagine Premier still manufacturing the old ones. But from what I understand it ain't 100% the LIMs fault with the design of the coaster mostly to blame, along with the huge power requirements for the ride requiring its own huge transformer. Personally, again, I wouldn't be sad to see Freeze go, especially if they put in a better launch coaster in its place. The amount of downtime and maintenance, coupled with the huge power demands, I wonder how much longer this coaster has at this park.

Edit: Also if they did put LIMs in the valleys, I wonder how hard it would be to A: Install and B: to keep aligned so that way it don't get torn up by the train passing though. But I may just be overthinking it 😂

The old fin-based LIMs HAVE to be on straight track, and to be compatible with the existing power delivery and control systems it's not super likely the guts of the fin LIMs are significantly different now than 20 years ago. You can see the newer LSMs mounted on hills (as well as magnetic brakes) in this Ice Breaker photo.

DSC_0171-scaled.thumb.jpeg.4c8a4f6f9291caec3055914d9dd76796.jpeg

And yes I realize this is a pointless discussion :p

• Like 1

Question that arises is how much would it cost, like previously mentioned, for Six Flags to gut and rewire the whole control system to work with the newer Gen LIMs. Its not a question of will it work, but how much green is Six Flags willing to spend on a coaster thats almost 30 years old. Again thats why I think if it comes down to that, I wouldn't be surprised if they have thier finance department calculate a new coaster vs completely reworking a old coaster. (This is not a RMC after all 😂)

And sure this conversation is pointless to anyone but the readers on this fourm, but we are fans that always are thinking of the what-ifs 👍

5 hours ago, Danrarbc said:

The old fin-based LIMs HAVE to be on straight track, and to be compatible with the existing power delivery and control systems it's not super likely the guts of the fin LIMs are significantly different now than 20 years ago. You can see the newer LSMs mounted on hills (as well as magnetic brakes) in this Ice Breaker photo.

DSC_0171-scaled.thumb.jpeg.4c8a4f6f9291caec3055914d9dd76796.jpeg

And yes I realize this is a pointless discussion :p

I think it's useful and entertaining to discuss topics like LIMS. I'm thankful for your knowledge and I think it's relevant. Keep it coming, as far as I'm concerned. I just don't want to discourage the employees from participating in our conversations. It may sound like I'm shit talking some of the posters, but I'm trying not to.

RIP, HWFan used to provide us with extensive information 5-10'ish years ago, including direct input from the park president (Dave). He was an incredible person, but he stopped providing us with information after that, because he got discouraged from the constant suggestions and negativity. I was partially to blame at that time, despite eventually meeting him and texting/snapping with him frequently, which I truly miss.

I don't think we're to that level of scaring employees off yet, but I like our employee base on this thread. Seriously, thank you, to all the SF employees who provide us insight.

Sorry for getting off topic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, jamesk25 said:

Again thats why I think if it comes down to that, I wouldn't be surprised if they have thier finance department calculate a new coaster vs completely reworking a old coaster. (This is not a RMC after all 😂)

I just don't think the ROI is there, man. Just purely trying to realistically speculate, I think we'd be more likely to receive something that costs less as our next roller coaster, like a Raptor clone or some RMC love. (Keep your hands off of Screamin' Eagle) I'd much rather the park go that route in order to leave some scratch aside for continued improvements.

Employee insight within what they're allowed to share is always great and appreciated :)

My speculation isn't necessarily making requests either. The only time I've ever made a request, even jokingly, was when a park manager took my order at Fowl Ball and when they asked what I wanted I said "a hyper would be nice". I really do genuinely wonder if such an upgrade supported by the manufacturer is remotely viable. I'm not using the word possible here because anything is possible even if it might require new rolling stock. But if it costs $5 million that wouldn't be viable, even for relocations of a LIM coaster (where you'd have to reinstall everything all over again so labor cost wouldn't really impact an upgrade).

16 minutes ago, prozach626 said:

I just don't think the ROI is there, man. Just purely trying to realistically speculate, I think we'd be more likely to receive something that costs less as our next roller coaster, like a Raptor clone or some RMC love. (Keep your hands off of Screamin' Eagle) I'd much rather the park go that route in order to leave some scratch aside for continued improvements.

I think I'd be fine with Titan Track in high wear areas of Eagle to keep her young longer. Though I'm not aware of any particularly high-wear locations. Reviews suggest Titan Track doesn't feel significantly different the way RMC track does.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, prozach626 said:

I agree 100% that I would rather see a new coaster over replacing Freeze any day. Just all thoughts coming out of my head thats all, I know the park cant get its ROI if it just goes willy nilly and starts fixing/replacing everything in the park. This aint Premier Six Flags now 😂

33 minutes ago, prozach626 said:

just don't want to discourage the employees from participating in our conversations. It may sound like I'm shit talking some of the posters, but I'm trying not to.

Agreed, I love hearing back from employees, so employees don't mind my rattling 😂

I also agree that I miss hearing from HWFan, I haven't seen him post in a while on this parks fourm.

27 minutes ago, Danrarbc said:

I think I'd be fine with Titan Track in high wear areas of Eagle to keep her young longer. Though I'm not aware of any particularly high-wear locations. Reviews suggest Titan Track doesn't feel significantly different the way RMC track does.

That honestly wouldn't be bad for Screamin Eagle to get some topper track, maybe some new wider trains if/or when they do. But wouldn't modifying the track mean it would lose its ACE status?

4 hours ago, jamesk25 said:

Everyday I check this forum, and I see numerous people of different walks of life all coming together to share and talk about this park. A park that is “bottom” of the chain. Yet, we have one of the most populated forums on this site. 

If anything, our continuous nitpicking and wishing of what could be, just shows how dedicated we are as a fan base. Always thinking and wondering, ever curious. 

I hope we can all take a step back and acknowledge that even though the park may not be perfect, it brings us a sense of community and family that not much else can. I am always motivated about the future of this park by the stories and memories these acres have brought.

I wish you all a happy 50th anniversary.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

^THIS. The fact that I can come to this forum after all these years and there are still nerds like me posting DAILY about a park that doesn't make any headlines says a lot.

EDIT: I think Theme Park Review deserves some credit here too. Thanks guys for providing a home for our nerdiness. 

Edited by CP_RULES
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, jamesk25 said:

I also agree that I miss hearing from HWFan, I haven't seen him post in a while on this parks fourm.

That honestly wouldn't be bad for Screamin Eagle to get some topper track, maybe some new wider trains if/or when they do. But wouldn't modifying the track mean it would lose its ACE status?

Sadly, HWfan is no longer with us as of maybe 6 months ago.  Very unfortunate.

I believe Screamin' Eagle has the ACE coaster landmark designation and I think it would be able to keep that.  The coaster classic designation is the one that requires original rolling stock, mechanics, etc.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, DavidB said:

Sadly, HWfan is no longer with us as of maybe 6 months ago.  Very unfortunate.

That is very unfortunate to hear, I ain't sure how much impact they had outside of the forums, but at least HWfan will always be remembered on here. 🎢

59 minutes ago, DavidB said:

I believe Screamin' Eagle has the ACE coaster landmark designation and I think it would be able to keep that.  The coaster classic designation is the one that requires original rolling stock, mechanics, etc.

I got curious and checked ACE website, and it is not designated as Coaster Classic, rather a Coaster Landmark "A designation reserved for rides of historic significance". So I guess there would be no hurt if Six Flags decided to outsource to RMC topper or Titan Track, if they believe the ROI is worth paying. I honestly believe that most days Screamin Eagle is pretty smooth though, the only downside is the tight squeeze in the trains. 😅

1 hour ago, CP_RULES said:

I think Theme Park Review deserves some credit here too. Thanks guys for providing a home for our nerdiness. 

Agreed, outside of a few places on Facebook, TPR is really the only place left that we can convene to talk about our favorite parks, even the ones that don't get all the love from the GP. Negative-G (yeah I know, I'm going to get stink for mentioning) I think was the only other forum, but they too shuttered their forums as the cost to run it was too great as of last year. So yes, I really hope TPR will be around for decades to come, we all need a home for our nerdiness 🙃

1 hour ago, CP_RULES said:

The fact that I can come to this forum after all these years and there are still nerds like me posting DAILY about a park that doesn't make any headlines says a lot.

I can't even remember the last time I saw promotions for Six Flags in my area, all I ever see is Holiday World billboards and park ticket discounts offered everywhere. (Heck our local Taco Bell sells discounted tickets to a park 2 hours away 😂)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, HHartmann23 said:

Everyday I check this forum, and I see numerous people of different walks of life all coming together to share and talk about this park. A park that is “bottom” of the chain. Yet, we have one of the most populated forums on this site. 

If anything, our continuous nitpicking and wishing of what could be, just shows how dedicated we are as a fan base. Always thinking and wondering, ever curious. 

I hope we can all take a step back and acknowledge that even though the park may not be perfect, it brings us a sense of community and family that not much else can. I am always motivated about the future of this park by the stories and memories these acres have brought.

I wish you all a happy 50th anniversary.

The same discussions have been going more than a decade, since SixFlagsStL.net (or whatever that url was) ... in a nutshell, Six Flags will fix the Infrastructure then we will finally get a new massive coaster.  We need more attendance before anything worthwhile comes our way...  yada yada.  Yes we are a hopeful bunch.   

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, SteveStL said:

The same discussions have been going more than a decade, since SixFlagsStL.net (or whatever that url was) ... in a nutshell, Six Flags will fix the Infrastructure then we will finally get a new massive coaster.  We need more attendance before anything worthwhile comes our way...  yada yada.  Yes we are a hopeful bunch.   

It was SFSTL.net ;-)

I seriously can't believe how much you guys missed our little site.

Does anyone still have the photoshopped banner making fun of new upcoming attractions?

That's all I can remember about it to describe it, but I think it resurfaced a few years ago.... I believe the Mule-Go-Round may have been referenced.

1 minute ago, SteveStL said:

Don't be diss'ing the Mule Go Round!  Still hoping that will come back one these years, Yes... the 300 Foot Version!

I'm still holding out hope that the mulego round makes an appearance in June.

5 hours ago, Danrarbc said:

You know I never considered the prospect that some of those early attractions would be possible to bring back in some capacity during the 50th anniversary celebration.

Who here remembers Tilt-more Hotel?  or another walk-through attraction, the Haunted House down where Tidal Wave used to be?