TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

My husband and I have reservations for this weekend to get our season passes and ride a few rides while we are there. How have the crowds been? We are mostly going to get our passes set up so we can go to other parks we have never been to. Also to see my husbands family who lives nearby. We won’t be motivated to stay too long, but it’d be nice to hop on a few favorites. I haven’t ridden Boss since they modified it, but it might be too cold for it to get up and running anyways. Poor old thing needs some love!

10 minutes ago, jconsolmagno said:

When did it get removed and why? I always remember the SF parks having a BatMobile. For example, SFA has one and doesn't have a B&M Batman. The Batmobile is even located in a silly location by the Gotham Food Court, rather than by Batwing...

It may have been removed right around the time the cotton candy stand opened. There's very little room between it and where the ropes were.

Batmobile.jpeg.da9b9bbe0e64538ae3face152d4ca6d1.jpeg

There were trampolines on the opposite side of the plaza before the stand as well I believe and that also would have made the plaza a bit crowded if they were there with the Batmobile in place.

1 hour ago, Mike240SX said:

LOL.  The Batmobile is coming back, that's it.  I was expecting them running the train backwards or something.  You guys are desperate for anything, aren't you? 

Lol. I totally see where you're coming from, looking at it from the outside in. But, in all fairness, people have been asking for the Batmobile's return, for years. The Batman 5k queue was in need of being updated, and it received some nice TLC.

WoF has constant beautification and improvement upgrades each year. It's good to see that kind of effort being put into our MO park. The difference is, WoF has the most luke warm coaster line-up in the midwest, so if SFSTL can come up to their quality standards with our line-up, it would be tremendous.

Cat Woman's new location next year will probably revitalize that area, and I think it will look good on top of the hill. The location will provide the same illusion of added height Superman did. We'll all miss Superman, but let's face it, from a maintenance standpoint it was a piece of shit. It didn't make a dead spot in the park any less dead. SFSTL made the right choice.

If I had to put one thing on my wishlist for the near future, it would be some TLC for Screamin' Eagle. Queue/station improvements, return of the logo, and chaser lights would be well received. I don't think the chaser lights would even have to run throughout the course to have a strong effect. They could stop after the train passed the station. Are the floodlights still on the first hill?

I've seen nothing but positive improvements this year. I'm looking forward to our first trip... whenever that may be.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, prozach626 said:

Lol. I totally see where you're coming from, looking at it from the outside in. But, in all fairness, people have been asking for the Batmobile's return, for years. The Batman 5k queue was in need of being updated, and it received some nice TLC.

WoF has constant beautification and improvement upgrades each year. It's good to see that kind of effort being put into our MO park. The difference is, WoF has the most luke warm coaster line-up in the midwest, so if SFSTL can come up to their quality standards with our line-up, it would be tremendous.

Cat Woman's new location next year will probably revitalize that area, and I think it will look good on top of the hill. The location will provide the same illusion of added height Superman did. We'll all miss Superman, but let's face it, from a maintenance standpoint it was a piece of shit. It didn't make a dead spot in the park any less dead. SFSTL made the right choice.

If I had to put one thing on my wishlist for the near future, it would be some TLC for Screamin' Eagle. Queue/station improvements, return of the logo, and chaser lights would be well received. I don't think the chaser lights would even have to run throughout the course to have a strong effect. They could stop after the train passed the station. Are the floodlights still on the first hill?

I've seen nothing but positive improvements this year. I'm looking forward to our first trip... whenever that may be.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for you and all the "little things" the park is doing.  They can definitely improve a day.  Just the way it was being hyped and all "Don't wanna spoil it," I was expecting something bigger, like what I'm about to respond to @Danrarbcabout.

26 minutes ago, Danrarbc said:

I mean other than the other dozen major park improvements, yeah, I'll take all the victories I can get.

You live really close to one of the few parks Six Flags is opening a new ride at in 2020/2021. Life isn't so nice at the parks that aren't tier one.

It's not even about new rides...personally, if I frequented any SF park, I'd be clamoring for them to do something about the horrific food service experiences before any kind of prettying up of the park.  But maybe that's just me.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, prozach626 said:

I concur with the Eagle improvements, but they wouldn't be cheap. Wouldn't that basically require rebuilding the entire station?

I'd also love to see new chasers return - enough so that I tried calculating the hardware cost a few pages back. Labor would be the major cost there.

There are floodlights in use during Power Hours but I don't think they've lit everything that once was.

Edit: In regards to food service. The problem is chain-wide. I agree they need to fix it - but I'm not going to let it stop me from recognizing the positive things they're doing this year.

1 hour ago, jconsolmagno said:

I'm not sure that changes by city or state...

Vandalism is a crime. Crime rates are different, per city/region. Until someone does an objective study on it, I'm going to go with my assumption areas of lesser crime have fewer F-words scratched into their urinal stalls. The mindset falls within respect for property, including Batmobiles.

Maybe a university can place one Batmobile each in the ten highest crime cities in the US and one Batmobile in the ten lowest crime cities in the US to see which one ends up with flat tires first. Where would you place your bet?

1 hour ago, Danrarbc said:

I concur with the Eagle improvements, but they wouldn't be cheap. Wouldn't that basically require rebuilding the entire station?

Oh, I'm sure it would be plenty expensive, and probably unrealistic to completely revamp. The money would be better spent elsewhere. I'm not really complaining, but it's just a thing I would like to see. Catwoman will probably bring some new life to the area, so I'm not worried. As long as the ride exists, I'll be content.

(Although... if I really had my way with a wish list, I would un-do the removal of Mr. Freeze, right after the permanent reconstruction of the Mule-Go-Round. RIP x2. 😆)

29 minutes ago, Danrarbc said:

I'd also love to see new chasers return - enough so that I tried calculating the hardware cost a few pages back. Labor would be the major cost there.

There are floodlights in use during Power Hours but I don't think they've lit everything that once was.

I don't think the whole station would need a reconstruction, it just needs a few feet extended in the main station so that way people are not crowded past the turnstile, while the ramps and walkway could be gutted and reprofiled for an easier wider walk up to the station.

Also they have that bright white flood from the station still pointed towards the hill, but now they also got those new power hour floods facing the front of it.

And great news about Batman getting back something that most of us has never seen. I really hope they continue spucing up all the old queue lines throughout the park.

1 hour ago, Mike240SX said:

LOL.  The Batmobile is coming back, that's it.  I was expecting them running the train backwards or something.  You guys are desperate for anything, aren't you? 

It's well known that Six Flags St. louis is one of the chains lowest favored chains in corporates eyes. We take what we can get. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, jamesk25 said:

I don't think the whole station would need a reconstruction, it just needs a few feet extended in the main station so that way people are not crowded past the turnstile, while the ramps and walkway could be gutted and reprofiled for an easier wider walk up to the station.

Also they have that bright white flood from the station still pointed towards the hill, but now they also got those new power hour floods facing the front of it.

And great news about Batman getting back something that most of us has never seen. I really hope they continue spucing up all the old queue lines throughout the park.

We need to talk about Shazam.

Alot of the things that have been posted about on here already have been done or is in the works. The park needs to take off 20 to 30 years of wear and tear before we get the next big ride.  If the parks allowed to continue on its current path (hopeful) we will once again be able to handle the crowds that a new coaster(s) would bring.

Now for story time:

The Batmobile that will be going on display later this year is not the original one from the 90's. This one was a "stunt" model from SFGadv. Batman sat in front and a "stunt driver" sat hidden behind him.

Anywho back in the mid 00's if you recall the park had it's first parades using moon cars. The park was looking around the chain to see if anyone had a Batmobile that could be used in the parade (ps this is a bad idea for clearance reasons in a hilly park). SFGadv said SFSL could have it if they paid shipping. It "just needed a little work" they said. Well it showed up and it was rough as hell. Coupled with the vehicles low clearance and extensive mechanical needs it was parked for 15+/- years till now!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, bossstl said:

Alot of the things that have been posted about on here already have been done or is in the works. The park needs to take off 20 to 30 years of wear and tear before we get the next big ride.  If the parks allowed to continue on its current path (hopeful) we will once again be able to handle the crowds that a new coaster(s) would bring.

Now for story time:

The Batmobile that will be going on display later this year is not the original one from the 90's. This one was a "stunt" model from SFGadv. Batman sat in front and a "stunt driver" sat hidden behind him.

Anywho back in the mid 00's if you recall the park had it's first parades using moon cars. The park was looking around the chain to see if anyone had a Batmobile that could be used in the parade (ps this is a bad idea for clearance reasons in a hilly park). SFGadv said SFSL could have it if they paid shipping. It "just needed a little work" they said. Well it showed up and it was rough as hell. Coupled with the vehicles low clearance and extensive mechanical needs it was parked for 15+/- years till now!

Did this batmobile at one point have an engine? Is that how it would've went through parades?

5 hours ago, prozach626 said:

I'm pretty happy about most of the changes this year but I'm still not happy about the removal of Superman and especially not the moving of Cat Woman's Whip to it's plot. I would have rather seen that spot stay open for a new drop tower to eventually fill that space.

I'm also not very optimistic on the "TLC" upgrades coming to that area with the new ride. The "area" improvements around Supergirl were a downgrade in my opinion and looks horribly out of place - but that is the story with pretty much any "new-era" DC theming. SFOG's Gotham area renovations were feel tacky and cheap in comparison to the original (R.I.P the original Mindbender sign). This is actually not Six Flag's fault - DC's contract with Six Flags dictates that the surrounding area any new DC ride goes in must ride must adhere to a strict set of branding that controls everything from the overall appearance, color schemes, and even the bizarre disuse of apostrophes in the new ride's name. When I say "new-era" DC, this is what I am talking about - one of the reasons these new DC-themed haven't been going in the DC Plaza area is because (believe it or not) the area is already considered obsolete according to DC - meaning a new ride would have to include changes to the area. One of the only ways the park has been able to get any funding from cooperate the past few years has been to justifying it with the addition of a new ride - and hence they opted to place rides in other areas of the park desperately in need of infrastructure improvements even if the new ride's placement there makes no sense.

When I first heard about the removal of Superman, I swore off the park for the next several seasons. Now as I hear about more and more of the changes, I am starting to reconsider my position. This is the first year where I can actually get behind [u]most[/u] of the infrastructure "improvements". The entrance last year was also a nice touch (I have yet to see it in person, though) but I wasn't happy about the removal of the historic lamps as I always thought they were super cool. Thankfully, everything else was truly an upgrade with that one. Most of the changes that made me upset came pre-2020 (and it was the end of 2019 when I finally gave up on the park) and we've seen a good turn for the better since then with some "true" infrastructure improvements, but I still strongly hold my opinion on Cat Woman's Whip.

I've always been a big proponent of restoring Screamin' Eagle to some of it's former glory too, but I'm not sure we'll see that anytime soon.

5 hours ago, Mike240SX said:

It's not even about new rides...personally, if I frequented any SF park, I'd be clamoring for them to do something about the horrific food service experiences before any kind of prettying up of the park.  But maybe that's just me.

I stopped buying Six Flags season passes a few years ago, ending a 10-year streak of always having a pass, because I couldn't stand to see how run-down and bad the park looks, and did not like several of the changes ("additions") being made to the park. I much prefer Worlds of Fun nowadays despite their sub-par coaster collection because the park atmosphere is so much higher quality. It's one of the most beautiful parks in the Cedar Fair chain, which is shocking because it's also one of the lowest. Meanwhile, I argue SFStL in 2019 (my last visit) was one of the worst.

Likewise, I've also spent more time than ever the last three years at SDC for similar reasons.

5 hours ago, liltrekkie said:

It's well known that Six Flags St. louis is one of the chains lowest favored chains in corporates eyes. We take what we can get. 

Six Flags St. Louis is actually the one of the highest profiting parks in the chain (probably in part due to the low amount of investment made each year). The reason we don't get the capital other parks do is because Six Flags has to push much harder to draw crowds into those parks due to more competition in the local region, and Six Flags simply sees no need to spend anymore money at SFStL than it has to as it's doing fine on it's own. Holiday World and SDC are really of no concern to SFStL as they target two different markets (this has been beaten to death on here before).

6 hours ago, CP_RULES said:

My husband and I have reservations for this weekend to get our season passes and ride a few rides while we are there. How have the crowds been? We are mostly going to get our passes set up so we can go to other parks we have never been to. Also to see my husbands family who lives nearby. We won’t be motivated to stay too long, but it’d be nice to hop on a few favorites. I haven’t ridden Boss since they modified it, but it might be too cold for it to get up and running anyways. Poor old thing needs some love!

You really haven't missed anything with the Boss - it was one of the main changes from the past several years that carried the most weight in my decision to cut my pass. The ride is basically dead to me now with the way it crawls through the second half. However, love is on the way ...

1 hour ago, RollerManic said:

You really haven't missed anything with the Boss - it was one of the main changes from the past several years that carried the most weight in my decision to cut my pass. The ride is basically dead to me now with the way it crawls through the second half. However, love is on the way ...

The POVs I have seen recently of The Boss have been painful to watch. As much as the original Boss kicked booty, I wouldn't be sad to see it modified at this point. We will see what I think after this weekend, but it never hurts to go in with low expectations!  My expectation at this point is that it will be closed anyways...

16 hours ago, prozach626 said:

Vandalism is a crime. Crime rates are different, per city/region. Until someone does an objective study on it, I'm going to go with my assumption areas of lesser crime have fewer F-words scratched into their urinal stalls. The mindset falls within respect for property, including Batmobiles.

Maybe a university can place one Batmobile each in the ten highest crime cities in the US and one Batmobile in the ten lowest crime cities in the US to see which one ends up with flat tires first. Where would you place your bet?

You are totally correct sir - for anyone that's been to Great America compare their parking lot to ours. More ppl trash the parking lot at STL than they do at Great America. 

4 hours ago, BeccaJo98 said:

Can anybody tel me why Mr. Freeze is closed? I’ve seen it valley but the app said temporarily closed and now it just says closed. Are they removing it?

It'll be back soon.

18 hours ago, Danrarbc said:

We need to talk about Shazam.

Not sure much can be done with Shazam, and really though the whole are over there is mostly dead. If you were to improve, my thoughts would be to clear out the old arcade next to it and put in another flat, with another one possibly across from Shazam next to the bathroom and breathe some family friendly fun next to the Log Flume

18 hours ago, bossstl said:

The park needs to take off 20 to 30 years of wear and tear before we get the next big ride.  If the parks allowed to continue on its current path (hopeful) we will once again be able to handle the crowds that a new coaster(s) would bring.

My thoughts exactly, but if they want to take off more than 10 years in infrastructure, they really need to install something to also bring profits in to keep supporting these improvements. The work that has been done I think is enough to warrant a big investment like a coaster, maybe with the increased revenue from such a big investment could than be used to take another 10 years off the park.

18 hours ago, bossstl said:

So I am guessing they stripped everything out of the Batmobile besides the shell for a static display, I wonder how well that will keep up over time. Also on the topic of cars, I also wish they would bring the cop car back, because that always looked pretty cool especially when the lights and hydrant were going.

13 hours ago, RollerManic said:

I'm pretty happy about most of the changes this year but I'm still not happy about the removal of Superman and especially not the moving of Cat Woman's Whip to it's plot. I would have rather seen that spot stay open for a new drop tower to eventually fill that space.

I am actually pretty glad they are getting rid of Superman, that are was always dead with the theming falling apart and the ride looking pretty ugly over the years. Catwoman may not be a perfect choice, but it is what they had, and I am glad to see it in a better spot then over by the old go carts. The old go cart area has so much potential for a bigger better ride in that area, and hopefully a better use for re-profiling The Boss queue line. And who knows that whole area by Screamin Eagle still has so much potential that could eventually squeeze in another Drop later down the road.

11 hours ago, CP_RULES said:

The POVs I have seen recently of The Boss have been painful to watch. As much as the original Boss kicked booty, I wouldn't be sad to see it modified at this point. We will see what I think after this weekend, but it never hurts to go in with low expectations!  My expectation at this point is that it will be closed anyways...

It rides rough, the trains beat you up, and the mid course brake run takes the train to a halt, but the ride is still mad fun and you can't go wrong with that 😂

Also as long as temps are above 60, you should have no problems getting a ride. The last time I went it was in the mid to low 50s and it was running, though with sandbags. The only ride I have doubts on not running is Mr. Freeze, it seems like they are having a lot of early season blues with the spikes LIMS.

2 hours ago, SixFlagsOMA80 said:

You are totally correct sir - for anyone that's been to Great America compare their parking lot to ours. More ppl trash the parking lot at STL than they do at Great America. 

Well to be fair SFGAm parking lot is way bigger/busier than SFStL, I would imagine with how much traffic they have it would be harder to keep clean especially with lack of workers.

7 hours ago, BeccaJo98 said:

Can anybody tel me why Mr. Freeze is closed? I’ve seen it valley but the app said temporarily closed and now it just says closed. Are they removing it?

Early season blues with the rides LIMS on the spike, it should be fully working by mid season.

I'm kinda shocked Premier hasn't developed an retrofit package for their first gen LIM coasters to allow the usage of one of their newer systems.

Though obviously that'd cost money, wouldn't be free. But I imagine the newer design is more reliable and cheaper to operate. No to mention boosters could be added in other parts of the layout and removed from the spike. 

And Shazam itself is fine. It's that canopy that's been looking rough for some time.

^It would take new LIMs in both valleys to ensure enough speed and multiple passes to recover. I am sure there is someone willing to do the math, but it probably doesn’t work enough to make Six Flags make it happen. They’ll take the occasional valley and figure out operating limits like Boss...

6 hours ago, Danrarbc said:

I'm kinda shocked Premier hasn't developed an retrofit package for their first gen LIM coasters to allow the usage of one of their newer systems.

I agree with CP_Rules that it would take either LIMS in the valleys or else a whole reprofile of the coaster before the spike and add a straight track with LIMS to make it up and send back to the station.

But the amount of time and money spent just trying to get the current LIMS to even work with their current power restraints, I highly doubt Premier has a solution that would warant a coaster this old (without big dollar signs). It almost would be better to see them remove Freeze and install a new gen Launch in its place by that point.

6 hours ago, Danrarbc said:

And Shazam itself is fine. It's that canopy that's been looking rough for some time.

I can totally agree with that, it is very well worn. Speaking of queue lines, Six Flags needs to fix or get rid of all the broken TV's in the park. I swear nothing looks more tacky than those ugly broken TVs. 😂

I was indeed thinking new LIMs in the valleys would work. The new ones don't need to be on straight track. 

I was just thinking out loud. I know it'd be pretty expensive but replacing these old model LIMs when they need it probably ain't that cheap anymore either.