TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

MOST of the museums in STL are free. Which is really nice. You can walk through the Science Center, Zoo and Art Museum (even History, but it's really not in the same league as the other three I mentioned) all for free. No none of them are the absolute best, there are paid facilities that hold those honors for obvious reasons, but they're all really good without having to add the "for a free museum" qualifier.

Edit: The Fair St Louis site seems to be down right now I wonder if they're doing an major update on it. 

Edit2: Nobody drove by the park tonight? :(

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Danrarbc said:

Edit2: Nobody drove by the park tonight? :(

I don't think anyone lives close enough 😂

My drive is just under two hours 🙃

22 hours ago, prozach626 said:

Grant's Farm is another popular attraction, although even though I'm native to the area, I've never been.

I personally keep forgetting Grant's Farm exists, I've tried once myself to visit but they ended up being closed for a event and I never tried going back myself.

Any tips for tourists would be appreciated.

If you hit up Grants Farm, also stop by at the Museum of Transportation, it costs, but it is well worth it for a visit for the family 👍

They even have a mini train that kids can ride, and Trolleys that run on certain days.

9 minutes ago, bossstl said:

Don't go out of your way to see what were talking about, its not finished yet. Hopefully by Friday it will be completed and it will be a very nice and long needed surprise.

There’s only one thing I can think of that would fit this... does it involve a logo? 😁

45 minutes ago, bossstl said:

Don't go out of your way to see what were talking about, its not finished yet. Hopefully by Friday it will be completed and it will be a very nice and long needed surprise.

The only thing I can think of recently is the clearing of trees by the road. So if it's something new, or general infrastructure improvement, I'll say a new front sign or they actually repaved the parking lot 🙃

But castaway_kid did say big changes so... 🤔

13 minutes ago, jamesk25 said:

The only thing I can think of recently is the clearing of trees by the road. So if it's something new, or general infrastructure improvement, I'll say a new front sign or they actually repaved the parking lot 🙃

They already cleared those trees though.

I was also thinking sign or lot. A new LED matrix board would certainly qualify as something that one would want to especially see at night (and would make the removal of the trees super necessary to get the most bang for your buck). Otherwise the only really recognizable thing from the highway at night is Colossus?

1 minute ago, Danrarbc said:

I was also thinking sign or lot. A new LED matrix board would certainly qualify as something that one would want to especially see at night. The only other really recognizable thing from the highway at night is Colossus - but would they really install a new lighting package on that?

A led sign would be interesting since they still have to update the sign manually. But I hope its a whole new sign built around the matrix rather something tacky and stuck on.

On the terms of Colossus, it was in the processes of a repaint, maybe a new color? And I thought they have fixed the lights on Colossus recently to not warant a new light package.

4 minutes ago, jamesk25 said:

A led sign would be interesting since they still have to update the sign manually. But I hope its a whole new sign built around the matrix rather something tacky and stuck on.

On the terms of Colossus, it was in the processes of a repaint, maybe a new color? And I thought they have fixed the lights on Colossus recently to not warant a new light package.

I mean. If I was going to install new lighting I'd probably repaint before attaching new hardware - you're already up there working on the structure, two birds with one stone. The old system didn't get a full overhaul or anything, and the pumpkin was never replaced.

Not that I seriously think that's what is happening, but only certain things stick out driving on I-44.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 minute ago, Danrarbc said:

The old system didn't get a full overhaul or anything, and the pumpkin was never replaced.

Not that I seriously think that's what is happening, but only certain things stick out driving on I-44.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Very true, it would be nice to see the pumpkin or even the clock again.

Who knows, there is not much else there could be, I guess we will have to wait until after Friday, unless someone spills the beans before hand 😉

17 hours ago, teacherkim said:

Keep in mind with your planning that the Zoo and the City Museum both require reservations at the moment. Whether they will or not in July is anyone's guess but 4th of July weekend in Forest Park will be insane. The Cardinals are out of town which will help but if the VP fair goes on as usual at the Arch it will only compound the crowds. You will need to plan and I would make Zoo reservations early and plan on that taking up most of the day. The aquarium really only needs an hour or two, so you will have to decide if the money is worth it. It's not bad just really small and a "short" experience. Again depending on the status of the fair parking could be a nightmare all over downtown and there will be streets blocked off. 

I have not heard if they have made a decision on how or if the fair will be conducted this year but that is crucial information to your plans. If it goes on downtown hotel rooms will be sold out for the whole weekend. And it will make every tourist spot way more crowded. 

Thanks, will do. My fiancée found a rental cottage near the Zoo so we won't be staying downtown. I went to make reservations for Six Flags and the City Museum but still too far out so I'll check again in May. We're really looking forward to the trip.

@Danrarbc @bossstl @castaway_kid

The beans are spilled, and looks like we were correct, and I can't wait to see it completed:

175944079_10225684106319600_2042679965399859755_n.thumb.jpg.8c7dbdc69ac44f95ffb06096aba874c1.jpg

CREDIT: Sean McCormac

6 hours ago, bossstl said:

It will be a very nice and long needed surprise.

This is great to see, I'm glad the park is finally getting the needed improvements!

Now speculation time, I wonder with all the front end improvements that are happening, that SFStL is getting ready to announce something big for the park for the 2023 or 2024 season 🤔🎢

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jamesk25 said:

Now speculation time, I wonder with all the front end improvements that are happening, that SFStL is getting ready to announce something big for the park for the 2023 or 2024 season 🤔🎢

I don't think you do this stuff for a rollercoaster or anything. Some of this is addressing deferred maintenance from the bankruptcy era, and the rest is probably beautification for the curtailed 50th anniversary celebration.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gnucksjr said:

There’s only one thing I can think of that would fit this... does it involve a logo? 😁

I had been holding out hope for the Screaming Eagle graphic to be returned to the lift hill... still, it’s very exciting to see all the new upgrades throughout the park!

3 hours ago, Danrarbc said:

I don't think you do this stuff for a rollercoaster or anything.

My thoughts are since they haven't built anything big since 2008 (boomerang doesn't count), and also are not really a destination park, all the new improvements in infrastructure could be to support crowds when they do decide to build lets say a roller coaster.

But even not I do enjoy seeing all the love given to our local park 👍

1 hour ago, CP_RULES said:

Am I missing something? All of those structural components can't just be for a sign. They certainly don't look like they are for a ride, what is it?!

Thats whats left of the old sign 😂

175944079_10225684106319600_2042679965399859755_n.thumb.jpg.1c40adfd7ca8261ed37e50f2fcf9192e.jpg

Screenshot_20210427-212230_50.thumb.png.a7fac78164d8fed655890f16d40a2bd8.png

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Danrarbc said:

Now that we know what it is. I wonder what the new one looks like 🤔

Or better question, will they reuse the supports or will they build a whole new structure with a LED marquee?? 🤔

Orrr, better yet...let's get crazy and speculate that they will rename the park back to Over Mid-America for it's 50th anniversary 😂

6 hours ago, jamesk25 said:

Or better question, will they reuse the supports or will they build a whole new structure with a LED marquee?? 🤔

Orrr, better yet...let's get crazy and speculate that they will rename the park back to Over Mid-America for it's 50th anniversary 😂

I think bringing back the Over Mid-America name is a great idea! 

• Like 1

Eh, I like the new St. Louis/arch-themed logo. The change is nice. And I am sure whichever employee has to trek out to the sign to change the message (and it is probably always cold or raining that day) will love being able to sit at a computer and put new messages up

• Like 1
  • Haha 1