TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

Our kid is in the 97% for height, making her 30" tall. She turns a year old in May. I'm guessing we'll be able to go on the little train together, and the full size train. Are there any other kid rides that would work?

do you think she'd like Colossus?    as a kid, I loved ferris wheels, but can't remember at 1 tho.

if Carousel is open, that for sure (even if not on a horse, but on a chariot with you).

I’ll have a trip report coming out tonight or tomorrow from my weekend here, but any chance Mr. Freeze opens today? I have to drive back to school today but haven’t been on mr freeze this weekend, not sure if it’s worth waiting around or not. The train is still in the grass next to where it valleys.

2 hours ago, bert425 said:

do you think she'd like Colossus?    as a kid, I loved ferris wheels, but can't remember at 1 tho.

if Carousel is open, that for sure (even if not on a horse, but on a chariot with you).

I forgot about the ferris wheel. Luckily, she's considered advanced in her observational skills and attention span. That makes it fun to see her actually pay attention to things and interact with her, instead of just being constantly on the move. She'd love the ferris wheel.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Dan the Coaster Man said:

I’ll have a trip report coming out tonight or tomorrow from my weekend here, but any chance Mr. Freeze opens today? I have to drive back to school today but haven’t been on mr freeze this weekend, not sure if it’s worth waiting around or not. The train is still in the grass next to where it valleys.

It certainly could open today with one train. So long as the track is put back.

App says temporarily closed though.

@prozach626 :

-The Tommy G Railroad is still closed for refurbishment, and I ain't sure if it will be open by next month.

-The Carousel is also down for refurbishment and someone mentioned it won't be open at all this season.

But she can possibly ride:

-Colossus

-Log Flume, no height requirement

-Little Train

-The Joker, pirate ship, no height requirement

-Most of the kids section has no height requirement, besides Taz Twisters which is 36". But the only other rides you can ride together would be the tugboat ride, weather balloons, and the Zamperla Crazy Bus.

A lot of the kids rides to have maximum heights so you cannot ride with her, you will just have to check next time. Joel has had to kick off some adults more than once. But you can definitely do the little kiddie train together.

The earliest the carousel will be open is 2022 and that was just an optimistic projection. As of last September they were not sure of an exact date because how long each horse and chariot refurb will take is speculative until they get into it and see how much damage there is.

10 hours ago, prozach626 said:

Our kid is in the 97% for height, making her 30" tall. She turns a year old in May. I'm guessing we'll be able to go on the little train together, and the full size train. Are there any other kid rides that would work?

Jealous about the height! I don't think KT ever passed the 20th percentile for height! =)  Have fun with the little one!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, jamesk25 said:

@prozach626 :

-The Tommy G Railroad is still closed for refurbishment, and I ain't sure if it will be open by next month.

-The Carousel is also down for refurbishment and someone mentioned it won't be open at all this season.

But she can possibly ride:

-Colossus

-Log Flume, no height requirement

-Little Train

-The Joker, pirate ship, no height requirement

-Most of the kids section has no height requirement, besides Taz Twisters which is 36". But the only other rides you can ride together would be the tugboat ride, weather balloons, and the Zamperla Crazy Bus.

Look for Tommy G. to be Open next weekend!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bossstl said:

Am I the only one that would enjoy this ride being moved to SFSL?

https://rcdb.com/10138.htm

Not only could SFSTL boast having 3 wooden coasters, but they could have 2 Boomerangs too! 🙃

In all seriousness, it doesn't seem to really fill a lot of holes in the lineup given that the park already has an invert and a boomerang, and all I've heard about it is that it's a fairly rough experience. I don't think it makes a ton of sense to move it to STL, especially since the smaller parks in the chain could probably benefit from it more.

Trip Report!

4/16/21: I got off work 40 minutes early and booked it to SFStL, a 3 hour drive for me. I got there around 7:30. I went straight to Mr. Freeze and it was a walk on, but right when I got onto the ride platform it went down, the transfer track was stuck. Since it was a walk on, I got out and went to American Thunder. After that I went right back to freeze and it was testing but an attendant was turning people away. So I went to screaming eagle and there were attendants with the train on the brake run so I turned around to boss. While walking in the queue freeze was running with guests, so I got a little frustrated. After boss I went to Freeze and they were turning people away, so I decided to eat. I did mobile food ordering for Johnny Rockets and I got it 45 minutes after my window closed even though they were churning out people in the normal line fairly well. I did batman afterwards and went to freeze but it had valleyed. Spoiler, I did not get on it this weekend :(

After my food fiasco and freeze valley, the rest of the night went really well besides some light rain. No line was longer than 10 minutes. It was extremely dark, which was good on boss and screaming eagle, but I agree with someone above that in some places it was too dark walking around. Especially the top half of the park besides the kids area. SFStL is not my home park and I definitely took extra precaution walking. Considering if this event did not exist I would have not been able to ride any coasters, I love this event!

4/17/21: I was there open to 4 with my sister. My sister does not really like rides, especially coasters. I convinced her to go on pandemonium first ride of the day and she hated it, so she was hesitant to do much else the rest of the day. We did colossus and shazaam twice each and justice league, and I squeezed on some coasters by myself every now and then. We did a lot of walking because she was dying to get a henna tattoo, so we would lap by the stand every now and then to see if it had been staffed.

4/18/21: I was there open to 4 by myself, so I got a lot done. Crowds were light. I spent a lot of time at American Thunder because I think it is the only good unique coaster in the park besides Mr. Freeze. I lapped by freeze constantly hoping to see signs of life, and once I saw some operators in the queue, but otherwise they were in no rush to reopen it. Again SFStL is not my home park, so I do not know what it takes to get it back up when it valleys, but I was obviously really hoping it would reopen. I spent some time at Screaming Eagle too. I had an amazing ride on it in the fall, but I could not find it this weekend which was a little buzzkill. Sunday was also the first time I saw them sanitizing trains, not sure if they were on Friday or Saturday. It was a beautiful day outside.

Personal Notes: This was the first time I visited an amusement park since I was diagnosed with type one diabetes. getting a medical sticker for my bag was no problem, no questions asked. When I walk through security I ask for a medical sticker and they did not even search my bag. Inside the park, the sticker did nothing for me, because a situation where I needed to show it never came up, which was good! I wore a spybelt on my belly to keep my insulin pump on during the ride, and it worked flawlessly.

The only gripe I had in relation to my type one diabetes was the food. On the app, it says nutritional information is available upon request, but it really is not... When I went to johnny rockets and asked, she clearly had no idea what I was talking about. Like she could not even understand what I was asking for. When I went to primo's, I actually asked the lead. It took her a minute to answer me, and eventually she said yes, she had the nutrition facts. But she said she did not have a cheatsheet to hand out, and that it was in her binder, wherever that was. If the nutrition facts exist somewhere, I would think it would be really easy to add them to the app. It would make my life easier, especially as a newly-diagnosed, because my "guestimating" game is not good and I was worried how my blood sugar would react after I ate every meal because I did not know for sure how many carbs I was eating. It's a little frustrating because it says its available upon further request. Either put it on the app or train employees / make cheatsheets to hand out. This may be more of a chain problem though.

I have been to SFStL on six different days and only have 2 rides on mr. freeze. On the flip side, I now have 15 on American Thunder, which makes it the coaster I have ridden the most outside SFGAm, my home park. Banshee with 12 rides held that title for nearly 6 years. I got on 39 rides for the weekend, highlighted by American Thunder with 14 and Screaming Eagle with 6.

4 hours ago, Dan the Coaster Man said:

No line was longer than 10 minutes. It was extremely dark, which was good on boss and screaming eagle, but I agree with someone above that in some places it was too dark walking around. Especially the top half of the park besides the kids area. SFStL is not my home park and I definitely took extra precaution walking.

Agreed, they really need to light the whole park if they are going to let people in those areas. I don't like the fact people are hiding in corners in the dark areas, and also unexpected curb's may pop up.

My sister does not really like rides, especially coasters. I convinced her to go on pandemonium first ride of the day and she hated it, so she was hesitant to do much else the rest of the day. We did Colossus and Shazam twice each and justice league, and I squeezed on some coasters by myself every now and then.

I wish the park had more "traditional" flats, like for example a tilt a whirl or a octopus ride, the park is really lacking in those areas besides a good kid coaster. I miss the bumper cars, Rush Street Flyer, and the smaller swings. (and also a proper antique cars) It seems now the park is only focused towards the thrill seeking teenagers, and not really towards family's who enjoy a more traditional setting. That's why I see family's in my area more usually heading towards Holiday World cause they can cater to the whole audience.

Screaming Eagle, I had an amazing ride on it in the fall, but I could not find it this weekend which was a little buzzkill. Sunday was also the first time I saw them sanitizing trains, not sure if they were on Friday or Saturday. It was a beautiful day outside.

Screamin Eagle was hauling Friday night, it was a blast even in the rain, definitely my favorite coaster in the park. I like the out in the woods setting, pacing, and I love when Eagle screeches its wheels before the drop on the first hill.

5 hours ago, SteveStL said:

My guess is a ZacSpin or Sky Rocket (Tigris) or Raptor type of coaster in Tidal Wave's old spot. 

I wouldn't mind seeing a S&S Free Spin in the park, but Six Flags hasn't built one since 2017. Sky Rocket I do not see the park getting since the last one Six Flags built was in 2012 at Discovery Kingdom. But now a Raptor would be an awesome addition to the Tidal Wave spot, and maybe we can get a bigger version like Jersey Devil as SFGAdv.

I also wouldn't mind seeing the park get a SkyWarp installed next to Boss, I really don't see them adding a coaster there, but I could be wrong.

2 hours ago, prozach626 said:

Take the Skywarp challenge. Try to watch a video of a painfully slow full cycle without moving on to the next video. 

Some say the ride experience is worse. Slow and forceless. Yet somehow rough and painful.

And the reason why a plot of empty land is better: They're loud as hell!!! And not the charming B&M roar kind of loud.

• Haha 1

well, do keep in mind. . there are 4 different versions of Skywarp offered (were the other two ever built?   I think only two versions were ever made for SeaWorld & SixFlags)

I actually could see an "Orbit" version not having many maintenance issues, and working quite well as a family ride in a small space.

https://www.rideentertainment.com/wp-content/cache/all/flat-rides/skywarp/index.html

that said tho.. I can't imagine them pulling Harley from Six Flags in California with all the issues it had, and moving it to St. Louis.

as has been noted - if they are planning that?  the empty lawn is better.

Tidal Twister is also known for being loud, slow and unreliable. These were a cool concept that unfortunately just don't seem to work.

And supposedly Crazy Coaster was sold, which would mean to a park external to the Six Flags chain.

I think that thing is destined for Mexico, South America, the Middle East or Russia. Some place that's desperate. More desperate than us or Michigan's Adventure.

10 hours ago, jamesk25 said:

Screamin Eagle was hauling Friday night, it was a blast even in the rain, definitely my favorite coaster in the park. I like the out in the woods setting, pacing, and I love when Eagle screeches its wheels before the drop on the first hill.

I only got one ride Friday night and it was a middle row, so maybe that is why. The woods and dark was awesome and its pacing is always great, I just did not get the air I got last fall :( I'll be back at least once this year and I am excited to give it another go! I really want to love it, I know before this weekend trip it was my favorite wooden in the park.

• Like 1

Watch the media day footage of Tidal Twister, which is arguably the most boring looking one. The park reps and journalists trying to build the ride up as exciting is entertaining. Most of the ride is just trying to get up to speed to clear the 30 foot hill....

Screamin Eagle is like The Beast, for me. It's just a cool ride. The air seems mild at most, but we love it.

• Haha 1