TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

Just now, Mike240SX said:

You completely missed his point, which was that the charm of this park lies in what it has and maintains well, not their "eye popping" attractions.

Which won't attract new sources of revenue for them. You can't expect regular average people to want to come to SFSTL for it's "charm", they aren't enthusiasts like we are. I enjoy the park for what it is, but in the eyes of an average person, SFSTL is meh at best.

• Like 2

^ yes, it IS a rare ride.

the Version at SFOT is a double seater -as is the version that is not yet open as SFNE.

- so the one at SFStL is the same as the one at SFOG (single seats). 

That means TWO parks have this ride in the USA. . so yes, it's a rare ride.

you want to whine, so nothing I give you as a fact is going to change that you feel the way you do.

In my eyes, it's a great park, and in the eyes of my Spouse, who *isn't* an "Enthusiast" - and doesn't ride roller coasters (the only one he rode there was Pandemonium with me) - it's a great park.

We plan a trip back so I can ride Excalibur, as it was down for refurb while we were there.

so you have a great park, you just want to complain because you don't get "new" things.

7 minutes ago, liltrekkie said:

Which won't attract new sources of revenue for them. You can't expect regular average people to want to come to SFSTL for it's "charm", they aren't enthusiasts like we are. I enjoy the park for what it is, but in the eyes of an average person, SFSTL is meh at best.

If the park wasn't profitable, or their current model of "upkeep what we have rather than trash and replace" wasn't working for them fiscally, they wouldn't be doing it.  Six Flags is a business, first and foremost.

Anyway, it must be a geographic thing.  I grew up going to SFGAdv, and worked there for six years in my youth, and despite all of their "big, eye-popping attractions" I think the park is rather "meh."  Yes, they get new "big and bads" rather frequently, but they don't maintain them.  Kingda Ka is virtually un-rideable outside of the front row, and El Toro has gotten substantially rougher over the years.  Houdini, one of their best rides, rarely operates, and they replaced the projector screen that fits into the theme with a freakin' LCD monitor.  I go to Kings Dominion and even Dorney far more frequently despite SFGAdv being a shorter drive than either.

And to support what Bert is saying, I am not sure if everyone realizes the commitment the park has made to the refurbishing of the carousel. We saw the whole process at the ACE event back in September. They are so proud of what they are doing; not just to save a ride but one of true historical importance that they dragged out 3 of the horses in progress for a group of maybe 30 - 40 people and went through an extensive demonstration of how the refurb will work. No it's not a revolutionary new ride or a new coaster but it is a commitment to the future of the park and the amusement park industry as a whole. The cheapest and easiest thing would have been to scrap it. Also, they are educating the public about the history involved.

We would all love lots of shiny new rides and to have had some massive new stuff to celebrate the 50th anniversary. If what I was told about the original plan for this year would have been able to come to fruition you all would have lost your minds. But.. The virus happened, the parks lost money and what resources they have are of course going to go to the higher profile parks with better attendance. It will take a few years to recoup the losses. Geographically, we just aren't a destination type place.

As far as HW competition. There is no denying that HW is a great park , particularly when you throw in the waterpark. However, comparing the two is apples and oranges. SFSTL has a large metro area to draw from. It relies on season pass holders and residents within an hour or so making repeat trips throughout the year for the bulk of the attendance. HW is in the middle of a corn field. They have a different demographic. They need to draw people from a much broader area that find it worth while to drive there just for the park. Most people in St Louis are not getting season passes to HW when it is a 6 hour round trip, they just aren't, it's a once a year trip if that. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, liltrekkie said:

But most average people aren't going to travel far and wide just to go to an amusement park outside of the Orlando (and maybe CP) bubble. They go to parks if they are there and doing something else and it's convenient. I cannot tell you how many times I mention a park we've visited to a co worker and they had no idea it even existed. 

I can see both sides of the argument. Yes, SFStL is a fantastic park and by far one of the the most beautiful in the chain and it contains a special charm. But I also understand why people get frustrated when SFStL gets the shaft on awesome new attractions quite frequently. 

Off topic. Is Colossus the largest ferris wheel in the SF chain?

^ they have one other than the PTC 35 (the one that's being refurbished)?

I've never seen a 2nd one listed on any Carousel sites (and yes, I checked before our visit to St. Louis to make sure I didn't miss any. . . even got to ride the one at Grant's Farm and the one at the St. Louis Zoo).

1 hour ago, Vonni said:

I can see both sides of the argument. Yes, SFStL is a fantastic park and by far one of the the most beautiful in the chain and it contains a special charm. But I also understand why people get frustrated when SFStL gets the shaft on awesome new attractions quite frequently. 

For sure! I get frustrated too. The point I (and I think Bert) were trying to make is that the park shouldn't be judged solely on new additions. Or more correctly, lack thereof.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, bossstl said:

Can anyone name the second carousel still in storage in the park?

I feel like there is some distant memory way back in my head, but I cannot come up with it. Maybe I am getting too old or maybe I am imagining what I don't really know, lol.

7 minutes ago, bert425 said:

^ they have one other than the PTC 35 (the one that's being refurbished)?

I've never seen a 2nd one listed on any Carousel sites (and yes, I checked before our visit to St. Louis to make sure I didn't miss any. . . even got to ride the one at Grant's Farm and the one at the St. Louis Zoo).

Yup, the horses are kept in the same area as where they are restoring the PTC hours. I believe this other carasouls horses are in very good shape as I believe they were repainted not long before being removed.

Six Flags Saint Louis has no competition. They choose not to compete, because they don't have to. The park's business strategy revolves around local season pass holders and some daily ticket sales. The price point, offerings, and sustainability are working well for the product offered. There's no need for a giant park with cutting edge attractions here. Things will only change if the corporate model changes, which is unnecessary at this time.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bert425 said:

^ yes, it IS a rare ride.

the Version at SFOT is a double seater -as is the version that is not yet open as SFNE.

- so the one at SFStL is the same as the one at SFOG (single seats). 

That means TWO parks have this ride in the USA. . so yes, it's a rare ride.

you want to whine, so nothing I give you as a fact is going to change that you feel the way you do.

In my eyes, it's a great park, and in the eyes of my Spouse, who *isn't* an "Enthusiast" - and doesn't ride roller coasters (the only one he rode there was Pandemonium with me) - it's a great park.

We plan a trip back so I can ride Excalibur, as it was down for refurb while we were there.

so you have a great park, you just want to complain because you don't get "new" things.

Do you think the GP cares about a small flat and the model it is?? Not... One.... Single... Bit!! I see what you are getting at, but in this case it doesn't mean anything. The refurb for Excalibur wasn't as costly as you'd think, and of course they'd want to refurb it, its the only one of its kind in the world. Look, the park has potential, we all know it, we are just sick of getting the shaft.... trust us, many of us work or have worked there and know how it all works.

13 hours ago, Vonni said:

Darien Lake has a pretty large one

14 hours ago, bossstl said:

Yup, the horses are kept in the same area as where they are restoring the PTC hours. I believe this other carasouls horses are in very good shape as I believe they were repainted not long before being removed.

This wasn't ever installed at the park, was it?   I thought they used to have a kids carousel near log flume as well in Bugs Bunny land with the kids coaster. (Now that was a painful coaster.) 

5 minutes ago, Danrarbc said:

The park has tweeted out that the tube slides have received some TLC.

This excites me. They have desperately needed a paint job for a couple years now. It looks extremely well done as well. Gotta say, love that look.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, liltrekkie said:

This excites me. They have desperately needed a paint job for a couple years now. It looks extremely well done as well. Gotta say, love that look.

Hoping they’ve replaced the pea gravel too... that stuff is painful to walk on!

On 2/22/2021 at 8:59 AM, parkjunkie said:

Do you think the GP cares about a small flat and the model it is??

This is what I was thinking. What's there to be excited about getting a smaller version of a ride? The initial complaints were that it was the smaller model. I think guests would be more impressed with a larger wheel (if that's the case) and higher capacity.

It's not much different than feeling lucky to have received a smaller ferris wheel or carrousel than other parks.