TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, bossstl said:

Take a look at the "beauty marks" on the parks maintiance vehicles and that will show you why a drive through event is a bad idea 

A lot of the maintenance vehicle damage is from driving OFF the main paths.... in the woods, tight restricted areas, paths that they wouldn't use for a drive thru event, and from being banged up when loading and unloading equipment. When a worker hits something in the park, reports are filed, and there is only a very small amount filed each year.

I don't see SFSTL ever doing a drive thru event. STL has a ridiculous amount of well-established drive thru displays already, and as fun as it is to walk around the park during HIP, I'm not sure I see anybody paying money to drive through a lightly decorated theme park, especially with Jellystone being right next door.

10 hours ago, bossstl said:

Any of you SP holders get any surveys recently from the park? Interesting ideas floating around.

Yep... different theming ideas to keep the park open (without rides) through January. “31 More days of Christmas”, “Date Night”, “Renaissance Fair”... I answered  it’d be tough to get people out in the middle of winter without rides.

At least they are exploring ideas to try and generate some extra revenue. 

2 hours ago, gnucksjr said:

Yep... different theming ideas to keep the park open (without rides) through January. “31 More days of Christmas”, “Date Night”, “Renaissance Fair”... I answered  it’d be tough to get people out in the middle of winter without rides.

There's always Mardis Gras in February...

11 hours ago, gnucksjr said:

got one on Wed from SFFT - very similar , tho different "ideas"  (dance party, New Year's Eve all thru January, Parking Lot Movies - projected on big screens). . .   what's odd, is they obviously missed editing some of the language from their "cut and paste" survey.

the SFFT one mentioned at the beginning of the survey that it's open weekends (Fiesta is a year round park), but in the options, they kept mentioning Rides are closed during these proposed "events"

so . . yeah. . I suspect the events are planned only for during the week - and on weekends, everything would operate as normal, and for things such as the New Year's Eve - the countdowns, dancing, parties would only happen on the special event days during the week?      Still, odd they worded things that way.

especially since SFFT tends to be open daily thru big portions of Feb-March (Mardi Gras celebration & Spring Break).     But who knows?  maybe with Covid, they really did cut "full park" operating hours for 2021 to weekends only.

I got the survey too and while interesting, I am not sure they will get enough people out in the cold without at least some rides going. I agree with Bert that they really do have to pay more attention to the quality of the surveys though. There was more than once where I answered and then the next question was based on what I did not choose. I pointed this out in the comments.

• Like 1

Having some rides open in January-February at SFStL would require a refurbishment schedule like many year-round parks have. That isn't something the park did in 2020.

Justice League could probably run given its open date but nothing else has been given its 'offseason' work. But I do agree I'm not sure I'd attend with zero rides.

I am old enough to remember the park opening, no January opens ever. It has only been recently that they started doing HITP and before that it was shut down right after Halloween. For years when I was growing up Easter weekend was the traditional opening for the season, recently it has been based a bit more on when the local schools have their spring break which is usually mid - late March. 

I am curious what they will decide to do for spring though. All indicators are that we will be fully coming out of this mess by April or May. Will they open at the normal time in March with some restrictions (like masks) still in place or will they just delay everything maybe a month and possibly be able to open without restrictions? Will they require proof of vaccination? I'm guessing there is already discussion and plans A, B, and C getting developed.

On 12/12/2020 at 11:10 AM, teacherkim said:

I am old enough to remember the park opening, no January opens ever. It has only been recently that they started doing HITP and before that it was shut down right after Halloween. For years when I was growing up Easter weekend was the traditional opening for the season, recently it has been based a bit more on when the local schools have their spring break which is usually mid - late March. 

I am curious what they will decide to do for spring though. All indicators are that we will be fully coming out of this mess by April or May. Will they open at the normal time in March with some restrictions (like masks) still in place or will they just delay everything maybe a month and possibly be able to open without restrictions? Will they require proof of vaccination? I'm guessing there is already discussion and plans A, B, and C getting developed.

I'd have to respectfully disagree, on the bolded.  

I don't think we're going to be out of this "fully" until July/August at the earliest.  MLB, NFL, and MLS are planning to revisit attendance in June or July; also, LiveNation isn't seeing music crowds being able to attend in masses until late summer or fall.  There are too many levels of people that this first and second round of vaccinations have to get through until the general populous gets their first round.  

I certainly HOPE we can get back to "normal", but I think 2021 will be a lot of the same :(

16 hours ago, CoasterGuy06 said:

Six Flags probably won't, but their local governments will likely have a big say on their capacities next year.

That would be my guess for a Six Flags. The local vaccination levels will determine the occupancy levels allowed.

I'd expect masks to be required in 2021 for the whole chain either way.

I think next year will be more of the same with most parks. If they limit attendance based on proof of vaccination, they're going to limit their customer base.

I'm also not sure of what proof of vaccination there is to offer, aside from maybe a paper document. If proof becomes mandatory for a lot of activities the government is way behind the ball at this point.

Just throwing ideas and possibilities out there guys. Obviously no one knows for sure. Just exciting to even be able to discuss an end to it all. A few more companies get vaccine approval and that speeds it up by a couple months, if not or if they can't make it fast enough then it slows it down a couple months. Of course concerts will be one of the last things allowed, I never thought it would all happen at once. Although masks will undoubtedly be recommended for another 4-6 months, I think it will gradually lighten up month by month until one day you look around and realize no one in the grocery store has a mask on and you didn't even realize it happened. 

Zach, I only threw the query of vaccine proof out there because apparently some states and/or countries have put forth the idea of getting a "vaccine card" once you are fully vaccinated. It may amount to nothing or some venues may use that as a way to lower restrictions. Just think it will be interesting from a historical and social standpoint to see how it all plays out in the end.

I just don't see it going the entirety of 2021 with the same restrictions as we currently have........but I've been wrong before. 

• Like 1

On 12/14/2020 at 9:46 PM, prozach626 said:

I'm also not sure of what proof of vaccination there is to offer, aside from maybe a paper document. 

Haven't you heard? The government is tattooing proof of vaccination on your forehead and failure to comply results in immediate execution. It's the Mark of the Beast and we are in the end times. 

But in reality, I could see Six Flags "proving" you got the vaccine in the same way they "prove" you don't have the virus now. By either checking a box online when you get tickets, or by verbal affirmation when you go to the park.