TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

On 11/23/2020 at 7:01 PM, bossstl said:

I wonder what other rides had their last riders in November?

I was there on Saturday (it was completely dead, maybe 50 cars in the lot and everything was a complete walk-on) and part of the park was inaccessible with barriers blocking the way.

Sky Screamer, Boomerang, Fireball and Superman were all shut down for the season apparently.  Screaming Eagle and The Boss were closed, but they normally are by this time of the year. 

Park News - (11/28/20) I can’t verify the truth of this rumor at this time, but according to one source Six Flags St. Louis may be planning to remove their Superman: Tower of Power drop tower ride over the winter months. This is something to keep an eye on if you are local to the area, as the removal of the tower ride should be easy to spot from outside the park over the winter.
    While Superman: Tower of Power first opened at Six Flags St. Louis in 2006, the ride itself was originally built as Dungeon Drop for Six Flags Astroworld, opening way back in 1997 and running until Astroworld was closed for good in late 2005. Can anyone else confirm that this ride may be on the way out? We know Six Flags was expected to remove a major ride from each of their major theme parks over the winter months as part of a cost savings measure.

Screamscape is saying we may lose Superman Tower of Power this winter.   Anyone hear anything to this?

DAMMIT 2020!!!

In all seriousness, this could be a totally false rumor. However, I feel like there are lots of ears on the ground at SFStL. Most of the rumors we see come out of there seem to come true.

one of the main reasons we made the trip to SFStL in 2019, was so I could ride Superman - as I hadn't ridden it in so long.

I got to ride it opening day at Astroworld, and was always a must ride at that park (along with XLR-8 (hey, it was a super unique coaster for a kid in Texas), Cyclone, AstroWheel, Wacky Shack, & Alpine Sleighs (until they removed these last 3) - and later on, Ultra Twister & Looping Starship).

was thrilled to get multiple rides on it at SFStL, but even on our trip, 3 of the cars were roped off and not in use.    So I'd imagine this old Intamin tower, is a maintenance nightmare.

hope the rumors are not true, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were, and a replacement/newer version of a drop tower comes in.

Hmmmm...................... a little birdie did mention a possible ride removal to me. I was not given a clue as to what ride and apparently it is not confirmed yet but...? What a shame if 2020 results in ride removals to save money versus new ride installations. Even though it appears we are within sight of the end of this damn thing I'm afraid we will continue to see many societal ripple affects for a few years to come. Sigh. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, STLSPINSANITY said:

Park News - (11/28/20) I can’t verify the truth of this rumor at this time, but according to one source Six Flags St. Louis may be planning to remove their Superman: Tower of Power drop tower ride over the winter months. This is something to keep an eye on if you are local to the area, as the removal of the tower ride should be easy to spot from outside the park over the winter.
    While Superman: Tower of Power first opened at Six Flags St. Louis in 2006, the ride itself was originally built as Dungeon Drop for Six Flags Astroworld, opening way back in 1997 and running until Astroworld was closed for good in late 2005. Can anyone else confirm that this ride may be on the way out? We know Six Flags was expected to remove a major ride from each of their major theme parks over the winter months as part of a cost savings measure.

Screamscape is saying we may lose Superman Tower of Power this winter.   Anyone hear anything to this?

I don't think anyone that actually knows will publicly confirm this. 

• Like 1

Yeah, rumors about Superman leaving have been spreading among employees the past few weeks.

To be fair, talk about that happening has been going on for years now, so all COVID did was probably move up the removal date a couple of seasons. It's been a maintenance nightmare ever since it opened.

After doing some research today it appears that Six Flags has 15 rides that will be removed this offseason and Superman is one of those rides.  Also it has not been confirmed but not included in those 15 rides there is several rides that will be moved to other parks.   Has anything been said if the rides that was supposed to be added in 2020 if indeed they are still going to place them in 2021?

Could we see Catwoman and possibly another ride come in?  Just thinking with Tidal Wave gone and now possibly Superman going could they be setting up for something big to come in.  We are coming up on 50th anniversary?

Its really is a shame for us that covid happened, even if covid could have waited a few months we would be having a much better 50th.  Wonder what Bruce Springsteen would have thought.

Fact #2:  Turns out there are senarios where the breaks will fail to stop the train on 2nd gen intamin towers.

• Confused 1

Superman is really unique in that the cars drop at different times, making every cycle different and the anticipation at the top even more thrilling. In my opinion, it’s one of the main draws of the park. I’d really hate to see it go.

On 11/28/2020 at 8:56 AM, grsupercity said:

I wonder if a Larson drop tower would be less expensive to maintain?

If Superman does get removed, I too wonder what might replace it in the coming years.

Six Flags has worked with Larson, so there is there possibility for one of their drop towers.

Six Flags has also worked with S&S, and the company recently announced the Spin Shot Tower. That would be a new and unique experience.

I also wonder if there is the possibility of some sort of (Intamin?) drop tower being attached to the Mr. Freeze structure. I have no idea if that would actually be feasible though.