TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

I was at the park today. However, not a rides day but for the purpose of using my BFF to take my 75 year old Mom for some pool time at the waterpark due to most of the area pools being closed this summer. Still here is how our day went.

The new entrance is really nice. I saw several people taking photos in front of the new Arch signage. Strolling through the cooled tent and walking right on by the thermal scan thingy was so much quicker than the handheld temp check. Just walk through at a normal pace and the employee can see your temp above your image. For those that suddenly realize they forgot their mask, they have some for sale right before the tent for $6. Also, the new scanners at the old bag check area were so much faster. I would assume they will keep those, although the old metal detectors were still there but pushed to the side.

The water park did require masks during entry, in the gift shop, bathrooms, food lines, etc.....but once you were on the pool deck, walking to rides or in the water you could take them off. They did have someone disinfecting the loungers and life vests after use. The loungers were spread out in groups of 2-4 and surprisingly people were not trying to move them but respected the social distancing. They did have metal barriers around the wave pool so that there was a single entrance and exit point and there was a lifeguard keeping count and stopping the line if the pool got too full. Like I said we just were there to sunbathe and use the pool but I did take a quick look around and other than the kid's structure it seemed all the slides were operational. Bonzai Pipeline did go down for awhile and got a visit from maintenance.

When we left the waterpark, Grandma decided she wanted to see where the boy works so we took the train from the St Louis station up to BB. Everything we passed between the two was open but with very low crowds. No one in line for cars, maybe 5 people on the one Thunder train that was going, log flume and rafts going with very few people. Did not see Boss go while we went by, but I have no idea if that was just timing or if it was down. Dragon's wing seemed to be doing training with a group of 5 or 6 employees, one of whom was on it. Eagle was up but didn't see the line or if they were running both trains. All the games up by Superman were closed but SM, FB, BR and SS were up. Although FB was only testing. MT was running. After our peek at the boy in action to satisfy Grandma we headed back down the hill toward the entrance. Everything I could see was pretty much a walk on. Don't know if the games by Panda and Excalibur were open but I could see that both rides were running. Ninja, the Disko, and Tsunami Soaker were up. Batman ran all day reliably because I could hear it from the waterpark.

Most but not all of the food venues I could see were open. The BBQ place in the water park was closed but all the other food options were available. The picnic grove looked sad with everything stacked up and it obviously hasn't been used since last year.

Overall it was nice to get out even without doing any rides and everyone I saw was behaving and having a good time. Employees I encountered were very friendly and engaging the customers and truly making an effort (and I promise that has nothing to do with my son being a ride op, we didn't talk to him, lol) However, some things in the waterpark were a little rundown on the buildings and landscaping and with some things closed and the crowd so low it was a little sad too. Just the vibe I picked up on.

Crowd was very low today based on my scientific examination of how full (or not) the parking lot was. It was a Wed and there were storms in the forecast which did hit about 4 or so and I am sure the people riding were thrilled at no waits; but a little worrisome all the same.

When we rode past the Catwoman location it did look as though it was stopped in mid construction. That whole area is kind of torn up.

^ Catwoman Whip will be the park's "New For 2021" attraction, so no real surprise as to the lack of construction. Most SF parks are following this same path. Here at Over Texas, Aquaman: Power Wave is very nearly complete save for the queue and splash pool. But it seems that all work on the ride has stopped and won't resume until possibly next year. The only SF park that seems to have completed it's "New For 2020" attraction is Fiesta Texas. Their Dare Devil Dive ride is already operating.

They were definitely doing a separate count for the waterpark, which I expected as I have seen it reach capacity during normal times. Anticipating this we just got there about a half hour early and waited in the HH queue which is nicely shaded.

BTW - I got a survey regarding FF a couple days ago. Basically asking a lot of questions about whether or not I would still attend if they couldn't offer the same experience as the normally could and my comfort level, etc, etc.

Sounded like they are trying to determine what type of FF if any they will offer this year. I'm sure they are struggling with the desire to not expend too much money if attendance is way off and the desire to not lose out on the biggest cash cow of the year in a dismal economic year.

they're still selling flash passes, but is there any need for them with lighter crowds?

I personally did not feel comfortable in Mr. Freeze's queue line (an enclosed hallway where everyone was crowding and removing their mask since it was out-of-sight from employees). If that scenario makes you uncomfortable, I would recommend the Flash Pass based on that alone.

they're still selling flash passes, but is there any need for them with lighter crowds?

That would depend on your needs, really. If it is your only available day at the park, then yes... a Flash Pass could be worth it, especially on a weekend. Limited ride capacity and limited park operating hours greatly impacts what you can do in a day.

My son and I visited Busch Gardens Tampa right after they reopened, and their version of the Flash Pass had a HUGE impact on what we were able to do. Even with that park running at about 20% or their capacity, most coaster lines there were running over an hour due to limited train seating and hourly cleaning breaks.

SFSTL ride queues are nowhere near an hour (except maybe Freeze), but if you're hoping to ride as many rides as possible, Flash is the way to go. And, as already pointed out, social distancing (and mask wearing) is not being enforced nearly as well as it could/should be.

I personally did not feel comfortable in Mr. Freeze's queue line (an enclosed hallway where everyone was crowding and removing their mask since it was out-of-sight from employees). If that scenario makes you uncomfortable, I would recommend the Flash Pass based on that alone.

People would be doing this far less at Freeze if the HVAC still worked.

As it is now the air is hot and stagnant.

I'd almost prefer it if the station were converted to open-air like Joker's Jinx/Poltergeist. But I'm not sure the components would work well outside of their current environment.

Member announcements email saying Hook's Lagoon is open now. I'm a little surprised since we are so late in the summer and it's a high touch area, thought they had just given up on that area opening this year but apparently not.

I was at the park today. However, not a rides day but for the purpose of using my BFF to take my 75 year old Mom for some pool time at the waterpark due to most of the area pools being closed this summer. Still here is how our day went.

The new entrance is really nice. I saw several people taking photos in front of the new Arch signage. Strolling through the cooled tent and walking right on by the thermal scan thingy was so much quicker than the handheld temp check. Just walk through at a normal pace and the employee can see your temp above your image. For those that suddenly realize they forgot their mask, they have some for sale right before the tent for $6. Also, the new scanners at the old bag check area were so much faster. I would assume they will keep those, although the old metal detectors were still there but pushed to the side.

The water park did require masks during entry, in the gift shop, bathrooms, food lines, etc.....but once you were on the pool deck, walking to rides or in the water you could take them off. They did have someone disinfecting the loungers and life vests after use. The loungers were spread out in groups of 2-4 and surprisingly people were not trying to move them but respected the social distancing. They did have metal barriers around the wave pool so that there was a single entrance and exit point and there was a lifeguard keeping count and review the line if the pool got too full. Like I said we just were there to sunbathe and use the pool but I did take a quick look around and other than the kid's structure it seemed all the slides were operational. Bonzai Pipeline did go down for awhile and got a visit from maintenance.

When we left the waterpark, Grandma decided she wanted to see where the boy works so we took the train from the St Louis station up to BB. Everything we passed between the two was open but with very low crowds. No one in line for cars, maybe 5 people on the one Thunder train that was going, log flume and rafts going with very few people. Did not see Boss go while we went by, but I have no idea if that was just timing or if it was down. Dragon's wing seemed to be doing training with a group of 5 or 6 employees, one of whom was on it. Eagle was up but didn't see the line or if they were running both trains. All the games up by Superman were closed but SM, FB, BR and SS were up. Although FB was only testing. MT was running. After our peek at the boy in action to satisfy Grandma we headed back down the hill toward the entrance. Everything I could see was pretty much a walk on. Don't know if the games by Panda and Excalibur were open but I could see that both rides were running. Ninja, the Disko, and Tsunami Soaker were up. Batman ran all day reliably because I could hear it from the waterpark.

Most but not all of the food venues I could see were open. The BBQ place in the water park was closed but all the other food options were available. The picnic grove looked sad with everything stacked up and it obviously hasn't been used since last year.

Overall it was nice to get out even without doing any rides and everyone I saw was behaving and having a good time. Employees I encountered were very friendly and engaging the customers and truly making an effort (and I promise that has nothing to do with my son being a ride op, we didn't talk to him, lol) However, some things in the waterpark were a little rundown on the buildings and landscaping and with some things closed and the crowd so low it was a little sad too. Just the vibe I picked up on.

Crowd was very low today based on my scientific examination of how full (or not) the parking lot was. It was a Wed and there were storms in the forecast which did hit about 4 or so and I am sure the people riding were thrilled at no waits; but a little worrisome all the same.

When we rode past the Catwoman location it did look as though it was stopped in mid construction. That whole area is kind of torn up.

Thanks for the update... I might be visiting soon and don't want to walk around in 'quarantaine-park'... kids should be having fun and not be confronted with covid everywhere

^It was a big buzz kill. Make sure to bring a lighter weight breathable mask. We made the mistake of bringing thick triple layer masks. It made it a lot worse. I guess at least it filtered out some of the strong chemical smells from "sanitation."

I can't wait for things to get back to normal, if it ever happens. Just a few of the 2020 words and phrases I never want to hear again are "masks," "sanitize" and above all, "social distancing." I'm so tired of every product commercial on the radio adding those keywords before I cover half of my face to buy eggs and milk.

^It was a big buzz kill. Make sure to bring a lighter weight breathable mask. We made the mistake of bringing thick triple layer masks. It made it a lot worse. I guess at least it filtered out some of the strong chemical smells from "sanitation."

I can't wait for things to get back to normal, if it ever happens. Just a few of the 2020 words and phrases I never want to hear again are "masks," "sanitize" and above all, "social distancing." I'm so tired of every product commercial on the radio adding those keywords before I cover half of my face to buy eggs and milk.

Hopefully the new normal is not the new normal lol

Don't forget that "in these uncertain times" every company is "still here for you", as well.

I see things like this and can't help to think, theme it to Harley Quinn or some BS and replace the MF'ing Ninja ....

I would be thrilled to see some smaller CF and SF parks pick these up

Don't forget that "in these uncertain times" every company is "still here for you", as well.

...and remember, we're all in this together.

It's best not to give Six Flags any ideas to put any more roller coasters on top of asphalt.

I read an article on the Screamin' Eagle where John Allen said that he intentionally wanted to make the turn-around into the drop a stunning visual effect. He was big into designing his coasters to be as aesthetically pleasing as possible. I can't believe the park would eventually put an outdated green an orange roller coaster right in the middle of that view. At the time I didn't care, because I couldn't care less about Screamin' Eagle.

Maybe Boomerang will rust away and we can get a nice raptor elsewhere in the park, or as a replacement for Ninja. We'd have a great line-up.

I also find it shocking how multiple people were totally cool with making the decision to ruin the aesthetic of one of the most beautiful coasters anywhere by slapping down the world’s ugliest boomerang in front of it. One of the more frustrating decisions Six Flags St Louis management has made—and there have been several!!

Is Boomerang even operating this season?