TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

If Mr. Freeze is running rough it's probably not a permanent thing. The train just probably needs refurb or it's running on sh*tty wheels which it probably is because it's Six Flags and that's how they (pun not intended) roll.

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert and answer your question, but parks like Busch Tampa and Knott's have coasters that are butter smooth that have operated for like 40 years in parks that are open every day of the year. I feel like Six Flags will be fine if they care enough to make the necessary investments, which is debatable.

If Mr. Freeze is running rough it's probably not a permanent thing. The train just probably needs refurb or it's running on sh*tty wheels which it probably is because it's Six Flags and that's how they (pun not intended) roll.

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert and answer your question, but parks like Busch Tampa and Knott's have coasters that are butter smooth that have operated for like 40 years in parks that are open every day of the year. I feel like Six Flags will be fine if they care enough to make the necessary investments, which is debatable.

Heck Freeze might just come down to the material used on the wheels. Summer vs winter compounds, not to mention temperature swings can actually cause the layer to fracture - which wouldn't be dangerous as long as they're small but might make the ride rougher.

I haven't noticed a significant change in Freeze's overall roughness - but I have noticed changes from visit to visit. Not every launch is the same either, so it'll carry more speed on some runs. I really don't think there's an age or maintenance issue here - it just responds to external variables differently than some of our other steel coasters.

Knott's, Magic Mountain and Busch Gardens generally have different temperature swings to contend with BTW. This HITP we had days in the 50s right next to other days it never made it out of the 20s.

I think staffing could be a serious issue as well if they tried to do year round here, because of the inconsistency of the weather. There are lots of days during the current HITP that staff is sent home after just a couple hours because of weather and/or low crowds. While obviously somewhat inevitable it's a real drag to get ready for work, drive in, potentially spend 5 or 6 bucks at the employee cafeteria and only work long enough to make $20. While that is alright for a month at the end of the season, I'm not sure it's viable for the entire winter. Of course staff makes no money for about 2 and a half months as it currently stands, they at least know that when hired and can plan accordingly.

Also, with less rides available and no draw of holiday lights, shows, food, etc.....will the people even come. Cold weather is kind of cute in December when everyone is in the Christmas mood but gets old real quick by mid January. Add to that the issue of ride maintenance and I don't see it happening.

Ride maintenance isn't really an issue. You create a ride maintenance schedule and then just stick to it. Every single year round park has already had to do this. Down in Over Texas it looks like it might be Batman and Joker currently undergoing their maintenance downtime - but the park isn't open until Saturday so the app will be more help then. Here in STL they already use HITP for Eagle and Boss work.

Staffing is always a problem though even in the other cities. They're going to have to figure something out on that front.

• 2 weeks later...

All I know is it would be cool if we duplicated the Six Flags Over Georgia member entrance. Members get their own metal detectors, and a soda fountain to be able to fill their drinks as they enter the park. Even just implementing part of that experience.

• 2 weeks later...
All I know is it would be cool if we duplicated the Six Flags Over Georgia member entrance. Members get their own metal detectors, and a soda fountain to be able to fill their drinks as they enter the park. Even just implementing part of that experience.

SFOG's treatment of Diamond and Diamond Elite members was over the top! My son and I were in the "Membership Entrance" line on the parking lot side, and one of the survey team saw our badges, said "Come with me", and took us over to the side building. This and the members welcome center inside the park really made the visit nice. I thought SFStL was going this way when they remodeled Guest Relations, but no such luck (at least not yet)!

IMG_3741.thumb.jpg.1e8b83467dfa627382fa59ac299ed769.jpg

SFOG Diamond / Diamond Elite entrance building

From what we've seen, Great Adventure and (to a lesser extent) Magic Mountain both have preferred treatment for the top membership levels too, but SFOG is the best of the bunch (that we've personally experienced). SFOT and Fiesta Texas are on our 2020 itinerary... we'll see how they do!

• 2 weeks later...

It’s about time! I’m very happy to see them do something with the outdated entrance. Hopefully this means the end of the temporary security setup.

444DD715-F686-4469-B9DB-A1A49C0117F9.thumb.jpeg.3e45310782635ade4de259a8707f6059.jpeg

Source

The only unfortunate bit about this is that we are losing a few of the gas lanterns that were originally from the 1904 World’s Fair.

I think the entrance is going to look great. It will be nice for us all to approach a gate that doesn't look so worn down, with security pieced together.

The only unfortunate bit about this is that we are losing a few of the gas lanterns that were originally from the 1904 World’s Fair.

I guess there's a chance the park will recognize that and use them elsewhere.

The gas lanterns will still be there. The plaza will be simple but a lot more open and cleaner.

A few other areas of the park will be receiving some TLC as well. Very excited to see how everything turns out!

Where is guest relations moving? The old spot is now for tickets and memberships, and the old ticket booths that are gone were the new location.

Where is guest relations moving? The old spot is now for tickets and memberships, and the old ticket booths that are gone were the new location.

GR will be in a new building to the far left side of the plaza.

Thats great to hear! I hope they finally add shade to some much needed areas like Studio Backlot

I wouldn't get my hopes up for that, but you never know. The TLC I was referring to is some shops/restaurants getting overhauled.

GR will be in a new building to the far left side of the plaza.

Thats great to hear! I hope they finally add shade to some much needed areas like Studio Backlot

I wouldn't get my hopes up for that, but you never know. The TLC I was referring to is some shops/restaurants getting overhauled.

Not that it matters but I'm guessing Colonnades is one. I had noticed the ceiling peeling. There was some patch work that I could see I imagine the park wants to clean that up.