TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

How are Friday night crowds during fright fest typically? I'll be passing through and having my pass processed on 10/4 and was wondering how many rides I could expect to be able to get. Also how has operations on Boomerang been? It was down when I was there a few weeks back and it's the one credit I can actually get there.

How are Friday night crowds during fright fest typically? I'll be passing through and having my pass processed on 10/4 and was wondering how many rides I could expect to be able to get. Also how has operations on Boomerang been? It was down when I was there a few weeks back and it's the one credit I can actually get there.

Friday and Sundays are a good time to go. Saturdays are by far the busiest time for Fright Fest....

^Awesome, I'm here for that. Thanks for the feedback. Hoping for a couple laps on Freeze and American Thunder.

American Thunder was my favorite in the park.

Screamin Eagle is fantastic too. . but make sure you sit in 1st or 2nd car (and not on a wheel seat).

^Awesome, I'm here for that. Thanks for the feedback. Hoping for a couple laps on Freeze and American Thunder.

American Thunder was my favorite in the park.

Screamin Eagle is fantastic too. . but make sure you sit in 1st or 2nd car (and not on a wheel seat).

I got on Screamin' Eagle in front row a few weeks back. Still fun, but not nearly as wild as I has remembered (but it had been over 10 years since my last ride on it). Glad I had assumed correctly in going towards the front...I used the Boss as a strong indication of how they maintain their wooden coasters. It's actually pretty amazing American Thunder has held up as nicely as it has.

They actually do a very good job of maintaining all their wooden coasters. Early in the season Boss and Screamin' Eagle are both very good. After about Memorial Day I wouldn't go on Boss, and Screamin' Eagle is better but still, Bert's advice is good. I like the front row best, not just for the view, but it's also the smoothest.

American Thunder though? That one holds up all season. Maybe just because it's the smallest and beats itself up the least.

They actually do a very good job of maintaining all their wooden coasters. Early in the season Boss and Screamin' Eagle are both very good. After about Memorial Day I wouldn't go on Boss,

Somehow this makes me doubt their maintenance is *that* good, maybe they know that Boss is a lost cause and don't really bother

Boss is a lost cause but Eagle and American Thunder are fantastic, especially if you compare American Thunder to it’s one-year younger sister one the other side of the state that’s not doing so well.

I don’t think maintenance has given up on the Boss, just maybe that they don’t need to worry about it as much anymore...

Boss is a lost cause but Eagle and American Thunder are fantastic, especially if you compare American Thunder to it’s one-year younger sister one the other side of the state that’s not doing so well.

I don’t think maintenance has given up on the Boss, just maybe that they don’t need to worry about it as much anymore...

Oh dang, bummer to hear that about Prowler, I rode that in 09 and it was awesome. It's amazing how American Thunder has held up, but I'm certainly glad it did.

For a small regional park with 3 major wood coasters, I think our park does a good job taking care of them all. Thunder still rides like it did its first season. Boss is gonna be rough no matter how much work goes into it. I've never thought Eagle was ever that rough either.

This is likely going to be a park I return to for the first time in forever (early 2000s, don't remember the exact year offhand) next year, probably during the week after Memorial Day. My kids have never been, so I look forward to showing them the greatness of Mr. Freeze, and actually experiencing it backwards for the first time myself! I also haven't ridden American Thunder ever, so I'm definitely looking forward to that coaster!

I know a lot of people seem to have a negative opinion of the park, but my memory of it from my one and only visit many moons ago, was that it was a nice little park! Prettier than most, and with a decent collection of rides. Considering the ride collection has only gotten better than when I went there last, I'm looking forward to another visit! I dig Catwoman's Whip as well, so I look forward to checking that out!

If any of you Mid-Westerners (and I know there's a number of you out there, here) are interested in meeting up with us while we're there, that'd be fun, and I'll be sure to follow up with you when I know a more definitive date!

^That would be great! I'll definitely let you know when we're going, and I can be flexible about it, within that week I'm looking at. Pretty much the days between Memorial Day 2020 and that following Friday (Holiwood Nights). I'm looking to have us do St. Louis (City Museum, Gateway Arch), Six Flags, and Worlds of Fun some combination of those three days (Tuesday the 26th, Wednesday the 27th, and Thursday the 28th.) Obviously, you don't know your schedule now, but once it gets closer, let me know, and we pretty much choose which day we go where, to accommodate your schedule!

I've had these pics for 3 weeks or so but I haven't seen anyone say anything so I suppose they're still relevant.

Early in the season I noted the park removed many light strands as opposed to just removing bulbs as it did previous seasons. New strands were already being installed a month ago concurrent with Fright Fest prep.

vFKQ4A0l.jpg

1Cp1ebul.jpg

2OzdyRWl.jpg

They've also gotten fans with mist capability for the entrance. Good addition on hot days.

Ex4Ajokl.jpg

And a new haunt in a new location.

crXAZUll.jpg

So we are at the park today. (An event with the "other"club) Had a bit of a discussion with a maintenance guy who was leading us on a train track walk, as a kind of behind the scene tour, which was pretty funny to see the look on people's faces as we were strolling the track. We made train noises at the crossing which left them looking really dumbfounded.

Anyway, we talked about how the park spends the money they are given. He wanted to make it clear that they would love big new rides too, BUT they have had to fix a lot of unseen infrastructure that would have caused the park to close if not taken care of. Think of 50 year old pipes and plumbing, etc etc.

Also, we have many older rides which cost more to maintain

He did assure us that Excalibur is coming back but acknowledged it may not be this year. As far as Tidal Wave goes he just said "no decision has been made yet"

Meanwhile, it's pretty crowded for one of the weekends between summer and FF. Boomerang vallied and there was an evacuation. Pandemonium had a car stuck on every block section and that also had to have an evacuation. But the park looks pretty good and the staff is working well. I did talk to a first year to the park and they thought it is quite a beautiful park.

Looking forward to some night rides on Eagle for evening ert.

That's interesting about Tidal Wave. Keep in mind the cost of removing it alone would be prohibitive, let alone getting the area ready for some type of new ride to go in. The removal of Aquaman Splashdown here at SFOT was a massive undertaking, it took months for the ride to be completely torn down. They've only just now finished moving the last of the ride debris out of the park. That plus getting the trees out of the way so construction can begin on the new Aquaman: Power Wave. My guess would be some type of refurbishment using parts salvaged from our old ride plus the one at SFOG.

Edited by Sportsdude360

That's interesting about Tidal Wave. Keep in mind the cost of removing it alone would be prohibitive, let alone getting the area ready for some type of new ride to go in. The removal of Aquaman Splashdown here SFOT was a massive undertaking, it took months for the ride to be completely torn down. They've only just now finished moving the last of the ride debris out of the park. That plus getting the trees out of the way so construction can begin on the new Aquaman: Power Wave. My guess would be some type of refurbishment using parts salvaged from our old ride plus the one at SFOG.

Old parts from those rides aren’t going to fix the issues we have. We could maybe repurpose some things like boats. But that isn’t likely as the ones in Texas were prob shot.

But the refurb is about other issues not things fixable but salvaging from other end of life rides.

And the cost of removing it is vastly less expensive than the refurbishment cost. Trust me I know the numbers.

Come to think of it, I did see one of the old boats strapped to a trailer with it's undercarrage disassembled. It looked as if they were planning to transport it somewhere. But, of course, I have no idea if it's headed to St.Louis or not.

Maybe Tidal Wave will neat out Xcaliber to become the next Hanibarrels.

I was thinking about going to the park today, but I just read my email and saw that it's BAFF day. Shit. It was going to be the first visit of the year, but now I'm apprehensive.